Want to use my inside wiring. Did I choose the right option?

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
Fis
Re: Want to use my inside wiring. Did I choose the right option?

Post by Fis » Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:40 pm

oldanbo wrote:I don't remember if this is a premier only feature, but I doubt that it is.
Yeah, it was a shock to me that this is a Premier-only feature. Not what I'd been told over the phone. So I'm assessing what my other power-outage strategies are before porting my number.

oldanbo

Post by oldanbo » Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:13 pm

Fis wrote:
oldanbo wrote:I don't remember if this is a premier only feature, but I doubt that it is.
Yeah, it was a shock to me that this is a Premier-only feature. Not what I'd been told over the phone. So I'm assessing what my other power-outage strategies are before porting my number.
Maybe the ups option. I can only state what is true given my situation. But, given a power outage which happens quite often here, a backup ps connected to the modem and ooma would at least give me some length of time to get by. We can fall back to cell here although reception is touchy at best. Lately our power outages have been of short duration. I feel fortunate in that respect.

YMMV and I hope you find a satisfactory solution. I am disappointed to hear that the call forward on network outage is not available on basic. Really can't fathom that.

Cheers

Fis

Post by Fis » Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:21 pm

oldanbo wrote:YMMV and I hope you find a satisfactory solution. I am disappointed to hear that the call forward on network outage is not available on basic. Really can't fathom that.
I'm glad I'm not the only one.

We still use an answering machine and could continue to live without voicemail. I'm thinking maybe there's a solution where I stick with the old answering machine, and set the Ooma voicemail to only pick up after many rings. I could then record a voicemail greeting that says "You've reached this message because the power is out. Please call my cell phone." I think that would work, except it would also pick up if we ignored a call waiting. Any other ideas?

oldanbo

Post by oldanbo » Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:29 pm

okay..my understanding is that your isp is (you fill in the blanks), and that verizon provides you a hard wired telephone. Is that correct?

If so ooma is an add on to your existing internet service, not a verizon FITL service. You paid for the hub, ooma provided a phone number and you should be good to go. If you disconnect your drop or inside wiring from the connection at the demarc, your ooma phone will still work. I mean the phone connected to the phone port on the ooma hub will still work. T or F?

If T(rue), leave that phone connected to the hub phone port and forward your verizon number to the ooma number until the port happens.

The key here is what I think others have said. To test disconnect from the outside provider, cable phone port on hub to existing outlet, and test. It will/should work. That would include your answering machine, cordless phones, etc.. If that test is good, and I suspect it will be, then have your number ported. It will be fine.

A lot of very knowledgeable people have spent their personal time trying to help you with this. I exclude myself from that classification. But, I have a sense that you are indecisive. That's fine too, but maybe it's time to take it upon yourself.

Regards

Fis

Post by Fis » Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:58 am

oldanbo wrote:okay..my understanding is that your isp is (you fill in the blanks), and that verizon provides you a hard wired telephone. Is that correct?

If so ooma is an add on to your existing internet service, not a verizon FITL service. You paid for the hub, ooma provided a phone number and you should be good to go. If you disconnect your drop or inside wiring from the connection at the demarc, your ooma phone will still work. I mean the phone connected to the phone port on the ooma hub will still work. T or F?

If T(rue), leave that phone connected to the hub phone port and forward your verizon number to the ooma number until the port happens.

The key here is what I think others have said. To test disconnect from the outside provider, cable phone port on hub to existing outlet, and test. It will/should work. That would include your answering machine, cordless phones, etc.. If that test is good, and I suspect it will be, then have your number ported. It will be fine.

A lot of very knowledgeable people have spent their personal time trying to help you with this. I exclude myself from that classification. But, I have a sense that you are indecisive. That's fine too, but maybe it's time to take it upon yourself.

Regards
Perhaps I wasn't clear. I followed all the above steps thanks to all of the very helpful people on this forum, and yes, it worked fine, including the answering machine. This forum is a godsend because I don't get straight answers from the phone reps at Ooma. I am now just trying to figure out how things will work in a power outage if I don't have the Premier service.