Handset battery

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
fastlane01
Handset battery

Post by fastlane01 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:03 am

Anyone having worse battery problems with the new Telo update?

Mine now just drains and the handset is dead.

And I have tried 2 batteries...

jcarcopo

Re: Handset battery

Post by jcarcopo » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:53 am

The battery life already sucks, and yes this update improves range by using more wattage which drains the batteries even faster.

Add this to the fact the battery indicator often reports inaccurate status information for my Telo. I too have swapped batteries.

Sometimes the Telo reports my battery as dead, even though it reports it as full if I pull the battery and replace it and turn it back on. Sometimes the battery indicates that you used a bar of battery only to increase by a bar when the light goes out or you stop pushing menu functions.

Regardless; the Telo Handset offers in-effective range, inaccurate battery indicator, unacceptable battery life, overpriced proprietary battery packs, dissimilar illumination/appearance between my 3 telo handsets, slow menu selection/phone lags behind key presses, audible line noise/hum and codec related artifacts in both send and receive side of conversation, etc etc etc.

The people at CES are neophyte morons for giving any awards to the OOMA TELO. Its obvious OOMA bought the award like my last company bought their CES Innovation award. If they had tested the product at all they would have never given any award for such a poor design.

OOMA - Make a deal with Panasonic, they know how to make the best cordless phones, you do not.

allo

Post by allo » Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:14 pm

jcarcopo wrote:The battery life already sucks, and yes this update improves range by using more wattage which drains the batteries even faster.

Add this to the fact the battery indicator often reports inaccurate status information for my Telo. I too have swapped batteries.

Sometimes the Telo reports my battery as dead, even though it reports it as full if I pull the battery and replace it and turn it back on. Sometimes the battery indicates that you used a bar of battery only to increase by a bar when the light goes out or you stop pushing menu functions.

Regardless; the Telo Handset offers in-effective range, inaccurate battery indicator, unacceptable battery life, overpriced proprietary battery packs, dissimilar illumination/appearance between my 3 telo handsets, slow menu selection/phone lags behind key presses, audible line noise/hum and codec related artifacts in both send and receive side of conversation, etc etc etc.

The people at CES are neophyte morons for giving any awards to the OOMA TELO. Its obvious OOMA bought the award like my last company bought their CES Innovation award. If they had tested the product at all they would have never given any award for such a poor design.

OOMA - Make a deal with Panasonic, they know how to make the best cordless phones, you do not.
Don't you think you are a little too harsh towards OOMA?
If we keep putting them down they might give up trying to fix the mess... so it is a learning experience for everybody, including yourself! Sorry to say this, but you shouldn't have rushed to buy 3 telo handsets at once, knowing that this is their first attempt, and something might not work perfect on the first try. True they should have made a deal with a more experienced business in making the handset, and Panasonic would have been a perfect choice...but they are the one in charge...
As far as AWARDS go,one shouldn't pay too much attention to that or take their word for it... the same goes for any Emmy award... its only purpose is to drum up business!
So let's give OOMA a chance to fix what is wrong... if they don't... then the future might not look very promising!

bw1

Post by bw1 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:19 pm

All I can say is that they appear to be working on making things better. It's probably taking longer than they expected. See here:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4960&p=35575&hilit=+handset#p35575

dsinternet

Post by dsinternet » Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:34 pm

I am guessing its the firmware that is the problem with your handset. Ooma is working hard to get things right and I would expect the next handset update will take care of the battey issues. I am new to Ooma and will be sticking with Ooma for a long time. They seem to have a history of problems, but an even better histroy of making things right. Good things come to those who wait. I had Vonage, much better quality then the current Ooma system, but I know that Ooma will be the better one within the next year. While I wait, I save and save money. I can't wait until Ooma gets Google Voice working with the system. By the way, every time I have called CS on the phone, they have been very helpful.

fastlane01

Post by fastlane01 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:37 am

It is indeed most likely firmware - in order to use the Telo handset I have to put it in another Telo handset that was never upgraded to new firmware. The upgraded one used to charge the battery but now just sucks it dry.

This really is a pain.

shedberg

Post by shedberg » Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:55 am

Wow, I can keep mine off the charger for more than a day with light use without the battery dying.

jcarcopo

Post by jcarcopo » Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:05 am

allo wrote:
jcarcopo wrote:The battery life already sucks, and yes this update improves range by using more wattage which drains the batteries even faster.

Don't you think you are a little too harsh towards OOMA?
If we keep putting them down they might give up trying to fix the mess... so it is a learning experience for everybody, including yourself! Sorry to say this, but you shouldn't have rushed to buy 3 telo handsets at once, knowing that this is their first attempt, and something might not work perfect on the first try. True they should have made a deal with a more experienced business in making the handset, and Panasonic would have been a perfect choice...but they are the one in charge...
As far as AWARDS go,one shouldn't pay too much attention to that or take their word for it... the same goes for any Emmy award... its only purpose is to drum up business!
So let's give OOMA a chance to fix what is wrong... if they don't... then the future might not look very promising!
TOO HARSH?

I'm sorry I spent almost $1000 on ooma equipment in a year. I didn't rush a product that was not ready to its customers and lie about it.

If you wish to accept the mediocrity of OOMA's support as acceptable, then YOU ARE PART OF THE PROBLEM.
If your wish to accept that a company releasing a beta product and misrepresenting it as READY FOR PRIMETIME, then YOU ARE PART OF THE PROBLEM.
Now, if you think I am being too harsh towards you, YOU HAVE A REASON TO BE, but please don't tell me how I am suppose to react to the incompetence of a corporation that has it's head up its arse. --Too harsh?

I don't know how your nose got so brown, there is no room in their for your head too. --Harsh Enough?

Mind your own business.

gsdog

Post by gsdog » Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:54 am

TOO HARSH?

I'm sorry I spent almost $1000 on ooma equipment in a year. I didn't rush a product that was not ready to its customers and lie about it.

If you wish to accept the mediocrity of OOMA's support as acceptable, then YOU ARE PART OF THE PROBLEM.
If your wish to accept that a company releasing a beta product and misrepresenting it as READY FOR PRIMETIME, then YOU ARE PART OF THE PROBLEM.
Now, if you think I am being too harsh towards you, YOU HAVE A REASON TO BE, but please don't tell me how I am suppose to react to the incompetence of a corporation that has it's head up its arse. --Too harsh?

I don't know how your nose got so brown, there is no room in their for your head too. --Harsh Enough?

Mind your own business.
I've been very pleased with Ooma's service--and I'm not accepting mediocrity. It is one thing to offer constructive feedback, but to just complain isn't productive. If you're that displeased with their service/equipment, why don't you return it or sell it and find a service that meets your needs :?: