DSL Dry Loop & Verizon

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
Jake
DSL Dry Loop & Verizon

Post by Jake » Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:54 pm

I'm in NJ and have Verizon DSL bundled with phone. I need to port # and cannot because of this. Does anyone know if there is a cost associated with asking Verizon to install a Dry Loop DSL, i.e. separate the two lines? And how long it will take for Verizon to respond? Thanks.

jrg716

Re: DSL Dry Loop & Verizon

Post by jrg716 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:55 am

I'm with Verizon in MA and called with a similar question about porting the number, but keeping the DSL. I was told by the rep that my DSL would automatically switch to dry loop when the port occurred. She did seem to know exactly what was going on and it would obviously be in their best interest to handle it this way.

I just started the porting process so have a few weeks before it actually goes through. However, based on the email I received from Ooma saying that I would lose my DSL in the port, I'll be calling Verizon again to confirm the rollover.

If you can wait a few weeks on the port, I'll let you know how it goes.

Jake

Post by Jake » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:43 am

Update: First thank you for sharing as it boosts my confidence. I called Verizon just now and advised them of my plan to drop land line services sometime in the future and will require DSL dry loop. They asked me if I had just one line into my house and I said yes. He said then the transition will be 'transparent' once the phone number is ported by xyz (ooma in this case) voip carrier. It will automatically transition to a dry loop type of DSL. The bottom line is I do not have to do anything and that's a good thing because my phone wiring in the house is messy, in a word. I hope this helps others in their quest to shake off the conglomerates. Now I just need ISP competition in my area : |

Oremus

Post by Oremus » Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:24 am

A note about pricing:

I too just completed the Verizon request for a dry loop DSL (Richmond, Virginia). I had a bundled phone and DSL service that I was paying $19.99 per month for 786 kbps broadband (though I never saw that speed). When I called to separate my phone and DSL bill in anticipation of dropping the phone service once the port was complete, the Verizon service rep told me that I could keep the same broadband rates that I was currently receiving if I requested it.

I upgraded my broadband to 3Mbps at a cost of $29.99 per month right now. Once the phone service is dropped I'll have to call back in and request to maintain the current rate, if they attempt to change it, and I can change the billing to credit card, debit card or checking withdrawl at that time. At least that's what I was told. We'll see how smooth it goes.

Say hello to the NJ Turnpike for me Jake. I'm an old 14A resident.

UrbanVoyeur

Post by UrbanVoyeur » Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:30 am

I also had Verizon for both DSL and POTS, but in NYC. And the number port was a perfect success this morning. My home number now rings on the Telo and the DSL is working fine.

As the Verizon rep explained, I did not need a dry loop, they handled everything on the back end seamlessly. My home number now rings on the Telo.

The whole process took 3 weeks.
Telo since November '09

jrg716

Post by jrg716 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:29 pm

In follow-up to my previous post above... My port from Verizon completed today and (so far at least) my DSL connection remained intact. Two weeks for my port and no issues - I'm impressed.

cruzitude

Post by cruzitude » Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:45 am

jrg716 wrote:However, based on the email I received from Ooma saying that I would lose my DSL in the port, I'll be calling Verizon again to confirm the rollover.
Did you ever have to contact Verizon? I'm in the same boat and am waiting for my number to be ported over.

I too was alarmed by the e-mail from Ooma, "Please keep in mind that if you have DSL on the same number that you requested to port, you will lose your internet connection when your number is ported. ooma will not work without a broadband connection, so this is a friendly reminder to ensure you do not experience down time. " Gee Ooma, thanks for the "reminder" but it would be more helpful if there was an instruction on what specifically I need to do with regards to my DSL provider. All I've done so far is separated my landline and DSL billing, and submitted my request to Ooma to port my number. Just wondering if I need to do anything more with Verizon, or just wait and see?

jrg716

Post by jrg716 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:28 am

Nope - I never ended up calling Verizon back. They just handled it the way that was outlined when I first called them. My number ported, but the DSL remained on.

Oremus

Post by Oremus » Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:20 am

My Verizon number ported to Ooma on December 28th without incident. In fact, it appears that the voice quality is even better now.

On December 29th Verizon sent me an email stating that my dry loop rate was going up from $30.00 to $50.00 per month. Forty minutes and three representatives later, I was told that the $50.00 rate was a month-to-month rate and I was then given the $30.00, (actually $29.99 as displayed on the Verizon web site), for a yearly contract. I was told that I could renew this rate each year.

Soon after I received another Verizon email stating that I received a discounted rate of $31.99 per month with $10.00 off the regular $41.99 per month rate.

Again I went through representatives until I was told that $29.99 is only for online orders and my promotional rate was $31.99 per month but they wouldn't raise my rates to the normal $41.99 per month if I renewed the contract every year (yeah - I believe that!).

I just checked my account at MyVerizon and found that Verizon lists my new dry loop rate at $29.99 per month without any discount. However, they also list a future bill due in January that includes my old bundled DSL and landline. Under my Internet service plan Verizon lists my plan as $41.99 per month.

I could buy and finance a used car from a dirt lot easier than this!

I emailed the Verizon CEO and Board of Directors - we'll see what I actually end up paying.

I suggest that you record all phone calls with Verizon.

murphy

Post by murphy » Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:39 am

Oremus wrote:I suggest that you record all phone calls with Verizon.
Be sure to get them to acknowledge, on the recording, that they know that they are being recorded or the recording is useless for anything other than typing up notes about the call.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx