Ooma Hub is warm to the touch

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
joeed2
Ooma Hub is warm to the touch

Post by joeed2 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:37 pm

My Ooma Hub runs a bit warm to the touch.

Does anyone do anything like sit the Ooma Hub on top of a notebook/laptop cooler, don't know if a cooling fan like that would extend the life of the Hub any.

bw1

Re: Ooma Hub is warm to the touch

Post by bw1 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:15 pm

AFAIK, that's normal. A cooling fan probably wouldn't hurt.

allo

Post by allo » Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:59 pm

joeed2 wrote:My Ooma Hub runs a bit warm to the touch.

Does anyone do anything like sit the Ooma Hub on top of a notebook/laptop cooler, don't know if a cooling fan like that would extend the life of the Hub any.
Poor ventilation... no ventilation holes for the heat to escape!
I don't know if a cooler will help at all... because the heat ( Hub draws 6watts idle) is trapped in the plastic box!
The heat might cause some problems down the road: heat is cause #1 for computer components failures

The box is warm all around... may be someone with the know how and proper tools could punch a few holes ( top back corners) and see if that helps!

I wonder if the Telo has the same problem: getting too warm!
Last edited by allo on Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

joeed2

Post by joeed2 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:06 pm

It has a row of slits on the front bottom, and two sections of small holes in the back.

The row of slits on the front bottom is kind of at a 45 degree angle, so sitting it on a laptop cooling pad would move some air through it. You don't really need to push a ton of air through it (like a computer), you just need to get enough air to move through the unit to exchange the air inside the Hub with outside air. Even if it takes several minutes to cycle the air one time, that alone would be enough to cool it off considerably. You just don't want to have the warm air sit inside the Hub all day long, that is what will get it heated up.

My wireless router (which sits next to the Ooma) also gets very warm. It has a powered USB port in the back I'm not using. So I could sit both the Ooma Hub and the router on top of a laptop cooler, plug the cooler into the USB port on the router, and keep both devices cool. Since the router is always on, the laptop cooler would run 24x7 from the USB port.

oobi

Post by oobi » Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:39 pm

Don't try to punch a hole on the ooma telo as it will void the 1 year warranty, do it after 1 year ;) Not sure if this is intentional as this is the first time I have seen an electronic device without any ventilation, the small slots on the side is for the speaker. Did Ooma intentionaly didn't put any holes? There's a great chance that the device will break after 1 year and that you'll have to buy a new one as you'll end up paying US $20 a month if you have to replace the device each year.

I contacted Ooma about this today and haven't heard from them.

Groundhound

Post by Groundhound » Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:52 pm

The Telo draws less power than the Hub (10w vs. 15w) and does not generate as much heat.

allo

Post by allo » Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:53 am

Groundhound wrote:The Telo draws less power than the Hub (10w vs. 15w) and does not generate as much heat.
I have 2 Kill a Watt and they both showed 5w Idle and 8w dialing... Unless my units are defective!
Also I think if the Hub draws 15W, it would be HOT not just warm, ... I may be wrong.

murphy

Post by murphy » Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:06 am

The highest temperature on the surface of my hub is 88 degrees F. The fans in my MacBook Pro start speeding up at 70 degrees C (158 degrees F). The hub is in no danger at all at 88 degrees F.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

allo

Post by allo » Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:25 am

murphy wrote:The highest temperature on the surface of my hub is 88 degrees F. The fans in my MacBook Pro start speeding up at 70 degrees C (158 degrees F). The hub is in no danger at all at 88 degrees F.
I am not so sure about that... ask any electronic /computer component expert and they will tell you a permanent 88 degrees F for any electronic device is not good in the long run! If nothing else, it would shorten/halve the life of the device!
The 88F is on the surface... the interior of the case is usually a few degrees higher!

Groundhound

Post by Groundhound » Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:54 am

allo wrote: I am not so sure about that... ask any electronic /computer component expert and they will tell you a permanent 88 degrees F for any electronic device is not good in the long run! If nothing else, it would shorten/halve the life of the device!
The 88F is on the surface... the interior of the case is usually a few degrees higher!
The CPU on my laptop typically runs at 159 deg. F, and has been for years. It is set to warn at 176 and shutdown at 203. At 125 degrees the fan's not even running.