Successful (speedy!) install--but questions...

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
kris
Successful (speedy!) install--but questions...

Post by kris » Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:14 pm

Just installed my new Telo. Unbelievably easy, and FAST. Took about 30 seconds to upload, I could make calls right away. Very cool!! My setup is this: cable modem--Telo--Apple Time Machine (wireless router). I plugged my wireless base station and handset into the Telo. In the kitchen, I plugged an old corded phone into the jack for AT&T connection. I elected a temporary number from ooma, because I want to port the AT&T number and kiss them goodbye. Called my sister and got a clear call. Called ooma handset from AT&T successfully, but ooma phone would not call AT&T number (dead line sound).

Question 1: Is my landline supposed to be able to receive calls while I'm waitng for the port? If so, wonder why that doesn't work? Do you have to get a call from outside your house--haven't tried that yet, but will next.

Question2: On the My Ooma site, I want to port my number. I see the offer to upgrade to Premier to avoid the porting charge.
First of all, the upgrade is $120 (I thought Premier was $99). Secondly, I have the 6 months free Premier with my Telo purchase. Would the upgrade add an additional year? Maybe i should just bite the $40 port charge, and wait to see if the Premier service is what I really need or want. Guess I answered my own question! Except--how much does Premier really cost??

bw1

Re: Successful (speedy!) install--but questions...

Post by bw1 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:36 pm

kris wrote:Just installed my new Telo. Unbelievably easy, and FAST. Took about 30 seconds to upload, I could make calls right away. Very cool!! My setup is this: cable modem--Telo--Apple Time Machine (wireless router). I plugged my wireless base station and handset into the Telo. In the kitchen, I plugged an old corded phone into the jack for AT&T connection. I elected a temporary number from ooma, because I want to port the AT&T number and kiss them goodbye. Called my sister and got a clear call. Called ooma handset from AT&T successfully, but ooma phone would not call AT&T number (dead line sound).

Question 1: Is my landline supposed to be able to receive calls while I'm waitng for the port? If so, wonder why that doesn't work? Do you have to get a call from outside your house--haven't tried that yet, but will next.
Since you elected to get a new temporary number from Ooma, the two phone services should be completely separate and be able to call each other. Do you have anything plugged into the wall port on the Telo? (You should not.)
Do you have a Telo handset?
kris wrote: Question2: On the My Ooma site, I want to port my number. I see the offer to upgrade to Premier to avoid the porting charge.
First of all, the upgrade is $120 (I thought Premier was $99). Secondly, I have the 6 months free Premier with my Telo purchase. Would the upgrade add an additional year? Maybe i should just bite the $40 port charge, and wait to see if the Premier service is what I really need or want. Guess I answered my own question! Except--how much does Premier really cost??
Premier has always been $119.99 for Telo users. Only Hub users and those who transferred their Hub account to the Telo got Premier for $99.99. Starting next year, everyone will be paying $119.99 per year when it comes time for their renewal. Some users were able to purchase additional years of Premier for $99.99 but that ends tonight.

If you purchase Premier now, it will be added to the end of your 6 month trial of Premier so you won't lose any of your trial time and it will be 18 months before it renews.

You can pay $39.99 to port now and then upgrade to Premier at any time during the 6 month trial for the difference of $80 but you have to do it before your trial ends. Also, it won't be quite as simple as paying for the port and Premier now. You'll probably have to jump through hoops to get Premier for the $80 later by having to call customer service or sales.

kris

Post by kris » Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:52 pm

Thanks for the reply. I don't have the Telo plugged into the wall (just into the modem) and I don't have an ooma handset. After the initial euphoria, I'm now having this issue: the Telo seems to stop working (goes to red blinking) every few minutes. I can tell because all at once, my internet connection won't work. First time, I unplugged everything and restarted, successfully. the next time, just unplugged the Telo and plugged it back in--it goes through its cycle and reboots--and I'm back online.
What do you think?

kris

Post by kris » Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:23 pm

It seems to have settled in, and is working fine. Received a call from Florida=clear as a bell!