caller id not working

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
df5768
caller id not working

Post by df5768 » Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:28 pm

I have just installed the telo, I did not port my number and I do not have an integrated land line.
When I recieve a call I only see NO DATA there is no caller id information displayed. If I log in to my ooma and look at the call log I correctly see the callers bu the phone is not displaying the caller id information

Potts

Re: caller id not working

Post by Potts » Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:44 pm

This is normal. In most cases it takes a few days. I assume you are using an assigned No# for Ooma.
Setup Dec. 2009. Cable Modem, (Hub and Scout purchase Amazon.Com) Router (Linksys WRT5465S2) Ooma Premier.

southsound

Post by southsound » Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:05 pm

Actually, I have NOT found that there is a delay in receiving incoming CID information. What kind of telephone are you using with the Telo and is it connected diretly to the phone port or through your home wiring? Do you also have the Telo handset and if so is it displaying correctly?
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

df5768

Post by df5768 » Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:23 pm

I have a DECT 6.0 from GE cordless phone. The base is plugged into the Phone port on the telo. Now granted this is not the newest phone, it actually some years old when the DECT 6.0 technology was pretty new.
Nothing is plugged into the Home port.
The telo is setup behind the router and the "To Internet" port on the telo is plugged into port 1 on my router

df5768

Post by df5768 » Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:25 pm

Also I do not have a telo handset and my number is a number given to me by ooma.

southsound

Post by southsound » Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:45 pm

df5768 wrote:I have a DECT 6.0 from GE cordless phone. The base is plugged into the Phone port on the telo. Now granted this is not the newest phone, it actually some years old when the DECT 6.0 technology was pretty new.
Nothing is plugged into the Home port.
The telo is setup behind the router and the "To Internet" port on the telo is plugged into port 1 on my router
That should work just fine. By any chance to you have another phone that has CID that you can plug in to test it? I even have one of the older 2.4ghz GE's that tends to bring my network down if I use it too close to my router - and it works fine. You might also do a reboot of the Telo just to make sure there's not something happening because of a process stopping or something. Let us know what the results of your testing are.
Lifetime Premier Member

amoney

Post by amoney » Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:28 pm

I dont entirely know the back end of how Ooma has its arrangments with other vendors but the little that I am beging to pick up indicates that the numbers we receive are from others carriers and that sometimes things are not configured correctly so Ooma may need to contact them inorder to be resolved.

Think of Ooma as a reseller. And when there is a issue, the 3rd party reseller ultimately contacts the Telco that actually controlls the number etc. This is a over simplification. The telco infrastructure is very complex, think of it as alot of middle men.

The delay that was mentioned earlier is the configuration of the caller id to work correctly (the party controlling the number has to configure this, and may take a day or two etc) nothing to do with your equipment. I remember before I got Caller ID on my landline, it said NO DATA also.

But taking no chances call customer support to get someone to look into the matter.

Now the call logs in MYOOMA I can not explain.
Comcast > Telo > WRT54G

southsound

Post by southsound » Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:52 pm

amoney wrote:I dont entirely know the back end of how Ooma has its arrangments with other vendors
Correct.
And when there is a issue, the 3rd party reseller ultimately contacts the Telco that actually controlls the number etc. This is a over simplification. The telco infrastructure is very complex, think of it as alot of middle men.
NO VoIP company currently owns theie own phone numbers.
The delay that was mentioned earlier is the configuration of the caller id to work correctly (the party controlling the number has to configure this, and may take a day or two etc) nothing to do with your equipment.
True for OUTGOING CID.
I remember before I got Caller ID on my landline, it said NO DATA also.
Also true becaues most landline telcos will not send CID unless you pay for it. CID is a great revenue source.
Now the call logs in MYOOMA I can not explain.
What is obvious is that ooma DOES have the CID information and something is preventing the OP's phone from receiving and decoding it. What exactly the problem is would be what the OP is trying to find out.
Lifetime Premier Member

df5768

Post by df5768 » Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:33 pm

Okay so I've tried the following with no luck:
1)rebooted the telo and called from my cell phone. Still shows No Data
2)unplugged cordless GE phone and connected a corded phone with caller id, called from my cell phone. No information was displayed on the phone at all.
3)Checked call log again and all calls showed correct information

My next step will be to call tech support. I will post updates after I speak with tech support.

southsound

Post by southsound » Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:43 pm

Thanks for the report, df5768. You have done all I can think of. Maybe support can work some wonders in making it work.
Lifetime Premier Member