Two issues related to network connection

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
PaulB
Two issues related to network connection

Post by PaulB » Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:06 pm

First, my Ooma telo is connected to my router in one of the LAN ports. After I connected everything, I can no longer see one of the desktops on my network (I have 2 desktops and 1 laptop). I use a program called Team Viewer and I can no longer see that deskop using Team Viewer either. The desktop I am referring to is connected via ethernet coming from the back of the Ooma. The second issue is that I can no longer use Wake on Lan for the desktop. I assume this is all related to a network setting that will allow network traffic to the desktop. By the way, I am able to still access the laptop, although it is not connected to the Ooma and actually uses wireless.

jmassimilla

Re: Two issues related to network connection

Post by jmassimilla » Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:17 pm

Why not just plug the desktop back into your router and not use Ooma's router at all. Many of us use that setup successfully. If you are plugging it int the Telo for QOS purposes, maybe you could set up Qos on your router instead.
Customer since Feb 2009
2 Hub/Scout
1 Telo/Handset
Lifetime Premier Subscriber

PaulB

Post by PaulB » Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:26 pm

I actually thought about that, but it requires running more ethernet cable from upstairs to downstairs and my router only has one more LAN port (although I could probably get a switch or something similar). How would I set up QoS on my router? I have a basic understanding of that, so just a quick summary would help.

amoney

Post by amoney » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:34 pm

The Ooma itself is a router/firewall so any computers plugged into the Ooma can not be seen outside of the Ooma even though it is behind your other LAN router, the Telo is a seperate LAN all by itself, you may be able to setup port forwarding etc but thats a whole different can of worms.

The Telo should not affect wake on LAN unless of coarse the computer is cut off by a second router.

Your other option would be to put the Ooma behind your modem and plug your router into the Ooma.
Comcast > Telo > WRT54G

PaulB

Post by PaulB » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:03 am

If the Ooma is a router, how do I access it? That is, my router is accessed with a browser and 192.168.1.1, how do I get into the Ooma?

Potts

Post by Potts » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:37 am

Ooma System Check. http://172.27.35.1/
Setup Dec. 2009. Cable Modem, (Hub and Scout purchase Amazon.Com) Router (Linksys WRT5465S2) Ooma Premier.

jmassimilla

Post by jmassimilla » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:10 am

PaulB wrote:I actually thought about that, but it requires running more ethernet cable from upstairs to downstairs and my router only has one more LAN port (although I could probably get a switch or something similar). How would I set up QoS on my router? I have a basic understanding of that, so just a quick summary would help.
It really depends on your particular router. Some are easier than others. Depending on your upload and download speeds, you may not even have to worry about QOS. I have Verizon Fios with speeds of 20/5 MBS and don't need QOS at all.
Customer since Feb 2009
2 Hub/Scout
1 Telo/Handset
Lifetime Premier Subscriber

PaulB

Post by PaulB » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:30 am

I have a Linksys WRT54GL with DD-WRT. My connection is a cable modem and is rated for 20/1.5, so I have plenty of bandwidth.
I went in to the Linksys and there is a section for QoS and there really aren't many choices there. I tried to "enable" it, as it was disabled, but that didn't seem to change anything.

EDIT:
I might add that I also tried installing the Telo before the router (after the cable modem) and it had the same results. That is, I could not access my other computer. I would really like to install it this way, as it gives better control of the bandwidth and better call quality (so it's claimed). I am just stuck and not sure what needs to be changed.

EDIT #2: Also, all my desktop computers have static IP addresses so I can access them remotely using Wake On Lan. Is this my problem? If so, how can I get around this?