Internet speed plummets when a call is in progress.

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
zachkhan
Internet speed plummets when a call is in progress.

Post by zachkhan » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:12 pm

Hello everyone.

This is my first post here. I hope this is not a repeated question. My problem is very simple. My setup is like this: optimum online modem---->ooma hub----> Belkin N1 router. Everything works great as long as the phone is not being used. As soon as there is an incoming or out going call the internet speed plummets. Web pages take forever to load, youtube videos stop loading. I can deal with small delays in my surfing while my mother talks for hours on the phone :( . But it gets annoying sometimes, especially when I am on xbox live or PS3 and the connection fails whenever a call is made or answered.

Anybody with any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Last edited by zachkhan on Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Boondocs

Re: Internet speed plummets when a call is in progress.

Post by Boondocs » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:42 pm

search QOS
Telo - primary phone since Feb 2009
Core - gave to sister April 2010
Lifetime Premier Member

zachkhan

Post by zachkhan » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:02 pm

Thanks for the reply boondocs. But I am not sure what you mean. I did search the term "QOS" on the board index, and the results come out with "No suitable matches were found" . Is that what you were asking me to do, or am I supposed to do something on the ooma hub? I have read the wikipedia article on QOS, and that doesn't help solve my problem. Perhaps you can enlighten me about how to go about fixing or changing the QOS on my ooma hub or the router... :?:

tommies

Post by tommies » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:02 pm

It should be QoS, but if you search for any word with 3 letters or less, the search result is not very helpful to say the least.

You need to do some speed tests, and then calculate the average of your connection speed. Remember to take off your ooma from your LAN while doing speed test, and also do not doing any significant upload/download beside the speed test.

Go to ooma setup page http://setup.ooma.com or http://172.27.35.1, and then Advanced page, in the Quality of Service section, enter your speed into the respective box. For most users, 80% of the average speed is good starting point, and you can fine turn it later.
tommies

zachkhan

Post by zachkhan » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:37 pm

tommies thanks for the reply. Alright so in a hurry I did a quick test on speedtest.net and here are the results:

This was taken when the ooma hub was connected but no call was in progress. Additionally I was seeding about 4 large files via Vuze. I know, I know, I didn't follow the instructions but I was just curios to what the test might reveal. This is not the first time I have tested the speed, and I would say usually its around ballpark of 14-16 Mbps Down and 1-2 Mbps up. Now as for changing the QoS on ooma, I got to the page and under advanced settings I found the following:

Lets say the test I did gave us the final results. When changing the QoS, what value should I put in each box?

Thanks in advance.

zachkhan

Post by zachkhan » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:07 pm

Okay there is a good article in ooma knowledge base explaining QoS here:

https://www.ooma.com/support/knowledgeb ... ty-service

And another article for further clarification here:

https://www.ooma.com/support/knowledgeb ... ervice-qos

I am a little confused as to why the "downstream internet speed" is set to 0? In the first article, they talk about fixing the upstream but not the downstream. :? Does that remain the same or does it change also?

murphy

Post by murphy » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:47 am

zachkhan wrote:Okay there is a good article in ooma knowledge base explaining QoS here:

https://www.ooma.com/support/knowledgeb ... ty-service

And another article for further clarification here:

https://www.ooma.com/support/knowledgeb ... ervice-qos

I am a little confused as to why the "downstream internet speed" is set to 0? In the first article, they talk about fixing the upstream but not the downstream. :? Does that remain the same or does it change also?
Most people have high enough downstream speeds that QOS is not needed so it defaults to disabled.
14 mbps is fast enough that it should not be a problem to have it disabled.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

zachkhan

Post by zachkhan » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:11 pm

Thank you murphy and everyone else for the reply. I am streaming HD youtube video right now and on the phone with myself, while also participating on an online match at the same time. There is almost no lag, and the maps take a couple of seconds to render completely, but that is acceptable. I did what tommies suggested and set the "Upstream Internet Speed" to 80% of my average speed of 1.7 Mbps.

Although everything works great, I did another speed test while I was on the phone and got the following results.

This seem to suggest that ooma is not allotting too much bandwidth to rest of the processes yet it is still working. I am also curious of why ooma, by default, allots only 384 kbps to everything besides the phone, considering the upstream now is more than three times the original. Doesn't that make ooma less friendly to setup with power users like me?

All in all, this was easier than I anticipated. Thanks everyone.

Aveamantium

Post by Aveamantium » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:38 pm

Actually it defaults to 384 kbps including phone, so the default would be to only allow about 250 in the upstream direction during a phone conversation (since the default allocation reservation to the phone is 130 kbps in both directions). I'm assuming this is the default since most ISPs upstream is typically only around 500 kbps and the 384 is a conservative estimate to keep Qos from breaking (telling the device that there is more bandwidth then there actually is). Most users don't notice this too much since it is in the upstream direction with the downstream set to 0 to disable. On that note, I've personally found that it is better in my situation to also enter in the downstream to help with download saturation within my LAN.
Go AVS!