FTP Setup for a NAS

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
floydb
Re: FTP Setup for a NAS

Post by floydb » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:07 am

Awsome. Thanks a bunch. I will try it out tonight.

floydb

Post by floydb » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:18 am

Well, I did as you instructed, but to no avail. I guess i am only left assume there is some kind of hardware/firmware failure on the ooma unit? Anyone else have a trick up their sleeve that I haven't tried. Is there a way to definitively test the port forwarding/dmz capabilites of OOMA to confirm they are working (or not)?

Is there a way to upgrade the firmware on the ooma hub that might correct the issue? I didn't see one in the web interface.

I am soooo disappointed in this. Lots of hours invested in something that should work fairly simply....oh well.

Regards

Groundhound

Post by Groundhound » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:49 am

Based upon the recommendation that murphy made, do you have this configuration in setup?
dmz2.jpg
dmz2.jpg (25.2KiB)Viewed 2733 times

amoney

Post by amoney » Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:29 pm

I have been thinking about the DMZ, it has always been said that use of the DMZ is a security risk as that potentially exposes the device to the outside world to hack.
Comcast > Telo > WRT54G

Groundhound

Post by Groundhound » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:47 pm

amoney wrote:I have been thinking about the DMZ, it has always been said that use of the DMZ is a security risk as that potentially exposes the device to the outside world to hack.
Remember, what has been described here is putting the router's IP into the Ooma DMZ, with Ooma in front of the router. In this configuration Ooma will not "protect" the router, which is desirable in this case.

floydb

Post by floydb » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:41 am

Groundhound-

Yep...that is exactly the configuration that I had, but it still didn't work. I once again confirmed that if I take ooma box out of the equations, all works fine and I can connect to the FTP server, so this is DEFINITELY an ooma hardward/firmware issue, me thinks.

Ooma support said I should move my ooma box on the other side of the router so it is in parallel with the FTP server (cable modem-->router-->ooma vs. what I have today modem-->ooma-->router), but that is contrary to what ooma told me when I first set up the system. I worry about voice quality when I put ooma behind the router.

Groundhound

Post by Groundhound » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:53 am

I've run both the Hub and Telo in front of and behind my router with good results. My router is a Linksys WRT54GL running Tomato firmware and I configure QoS in Tomato when I'm running behind the router - it works just fine.