Comcast + Ooma?

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
Aveamantium
Comcast + Ooma?

Post by Aveamantium » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:30 pm

I've been with a wireless ISP here in Loveland, Colorado (originally lpbroadband, now skybeam) and lately I've been having serious speed issues which ultimately result in a reduced Ooma WAF (phone is the most obvious recipient of a bad ISP). Anyway, I was wondering if any of the people reading these forums are using Comcast HSI in my area (or close) could give me some feedback on this ISP as this is my only other option.

Thanks!
Go AVS!

amoney

Re: Comcast + Ooma?

Post by amoney » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:08 pm

I cant speak for your area, but any cable highspeed WIRED network should out perform wireless.

(note I am not a fan of DSL light)
Comcast > Telo > WRT54G

Aveamantium

Post by Aveamantium » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:13 pm

Thanks for the reply! My problem is I'm too loyal... Been with this other ISP for 5 years and they are local but I'm afraid that I'm going to have to give into the big conglomerate on this one. :shock:
Go AVS!

Quicksprj

Post by Quicksprj » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:27 pm

Isn't qwest dsl dry loop an option up there. That's what I have. The basic 1.5 package and it works great with ooma. $27 a month. Just FYI I live near Colorado springs.

tommies

Post by tommies » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:36 pm

From my experiences, Comcast (or any cable broadband in general) has a serious issue with older house where the outside cabe from the 'tap' into the house is 15-20 yrs old or more. For my situation, the outside cable is very thin and long(over 150ft) and cannot carry the load of modern day heavy bandwidth. The technician, who came to my house, put out a work order to replace the outside line, but Comcast choose not to and put in an amplifier instead. I canceled Comcast service within a week and waited for a year or so till ATT offers dsl in my area. My next door is ok since the distance of his outside line is less than 30ft.

If your decide to go with Comcast, had the technician measure the signal strength at the 'tap' and at the end of the line where it comes into the house. It there is significant drop off, you might need a newer/bigger line.

Hope you have a better luck with Comcast.
tommies

joeed2

Post by joeed2 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:54 pm

I'm using Comcast with Ooma and it works great.

But I basically got a spool of quad shield RG6 from Home Depot, a compression fitting kit, a handful of digital cable splitters, and about 40 feet of schedule 80 PVC. Then dug a trench from the box on the street to my home, ran fresh RG6 in the pipe underground to my house. Then redistributed to all the cable drops to my router and TV's.

I called Comcast twice about picture problems on my TV's. They sent out techs, but basically told me everything was within specs, nothing wrong, or I'd have to pay out of my pocket to do any additional work. So I just did it myself.

I think part of the problem is when Comcast set up my neighborhood (19 years ago) all anyone ever had was analog cable standard definition TV. Now with HD digital cable TV, on-demand, cable modem, voip, etc. the original setup was inadequate.
Last edited by joeed2 on Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

amoney

Post by amoney » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:58 pm

Good point TOMMIES. Watch out for RG59

Interesting note when I got cable internet, the cable guy said they recommend a dedicated line from the box, although my inside wireing is RJ6 and could work fine. I know many cable installs that piggy back off of the TV line splitters and all.

Guess people just cared more back then. Oh thats right it was actually ATT, then Comcast took over. Than Comcast gobbled up more and more, mind you they never replaced the support that they fired. Ah the sh4327 customer service woes.
Comcast > Telo > WRT54G

joeed2

Post by joeed2 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:08 pm

They used to recommend a dedicated line, then they recommended it be the first split, but not really anything anymore.

I'm running my cable modem from the 3rd split, and it works fine.

Aveamantium

Post by Aveamantium » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:08 pm

Quicksprj wrote:Isn't qwest dsl dry loop an option up there. That's what I have. The basic 1.5 package and it works great with ooma. $27 a month. Just FYI I live near Colorado springs.
Probably, but I don't get along with Qwest ;) . I had to deal with them on installing a T1 line at my company and it only took them 6 months. Prior to that I had them install DSL at my company (back in 2000 so DSL was new) and that took 6 months.

Seriously, the wife wants something faster and I know that if I call Comcast every 6 months I can usually keep the cost down to a reasonable price. Thank you for the suggestion though! :D

By the way I just checked and they are really expensive in my area:
Choose Services

Unlimited Internet access at speeds up to 1.5Mbps download/up to 896Kbps upload—25 times faster than 56 Kbps dial-up.
$49.99

$10.00
Promo
Discount $39.99/mo.
for 12 months
Unlimited Internet access at speeds up to 1.5Mbps download/up to 896Kbps upload—25 times faster than 56 Kbps dial-up.

$49.99

$10.00
Term
Discount $39.99/mo.
Go AVS!

Aveamantium

Post by Aveamantium » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:10 pm

tommies wrote:From my experiences, Comcast (or any cable broadband in general) has a serious issue with older house where the outside cabe from the 'tap' into the house is 15-20 yrs old or more. For my situation, the outside cable is very thin and long(over 150ft) and cannot carry the load of modern day heavy bandwidth. The technician, who came to my house, put out a work order to replace the outside line, but Comcast choose not to and put in an amplifier instead. I canceled Comcast service within a week and waited for a year or so till ATT offers dsl in my area. My next door is ok since the distance of his outside line is less than 30ft.

If your decide to go with Comcast, had the technician measure the signal strength at the 'tap' and at the end of the line where it comes into the house. It there is significant drop off, you might need a newer/bigger line.

Hope you have a better luck with Comcast.
House was built in 2005 so I hope it is ok! I just ordered a SB6120 so I can take advantage of the DOCSIS 3.0 when it is available in my area.
Go AVS!