Phone Number Transfer to ooma

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
AZGuyJoe
Phone Number Transfer to ooma

Post by AZGuyJoe » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:28 am

I've had an ooma hub/scout hooked up for a week now. When I first installed it I integrated my landline but, in order to test how I wanted to use the system I called tech support and I reverted to using two ooma numbers.
I have a phone plugged into a scout and I have a fax line plugged into the hub. The fax line is "shared"; the phone is associated with the scout.
Everything is working great and I couldn't be happier.
So, what's the problem? Well, I want to use my two landline phone numbers so I'll be asking ooma to start the transfer process for both numbers. My concern is what happens after the transfer is done.
Do I call support and have them replace the ooma numbers I'm currently using with the transferred numbers and leave everything else alone? Can it possibly be that simple? Shoud I expect an outage?
Thanks - I just want to anticipate what might happen.

bw1

Re: Phone Number Transfer to ooma

Post by bw1 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:12 am

First, if the phone numbers that you want to port are associated with the same account, you may need to port the "secondary" number first and wait for that to complete before porting the "primary" number. If the secondary gets ported before the primary, you may lose the primary. You may need to check with your existing provider to see.

Otherwise, porting your numbers is pretty straightforward. The first one should replace the primary Ooma number and the second should replace the second number. You may want to send specific instructions if you care which is the primary and which is secondary. The may get them backwards, but it's probably easy for them to correct it.

You would lose your existing Ooma numbers.

On the day your number ports, it's usually disconnected by your provider sometime during the day and then Ooma will activate the number in their system around 5 or 6 PM. My experience was that if someone called my number they received a disconnected message. It was out for 2 to 4 hours. Others have experienced up to 7 hours.

FYI, it's $39.99 per number or you can get the first port included by subscribing to Premier for a year.

AZGuyJoe

Post by AZGuyJoe » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:07 am

thanks bw1 - I'm not sure what you mean by porting my secondary number before my primary number - you mean with Cox right?
Should I wait until that port is done before I do the other number?

Thanks again.

bw1

Post by bw1 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:34 am

Yes, with your current phone service provider. If one number is primary and one is secondary. If the primary gets ported, you could lose the secondary number. You may want to contact your current phone service provider.

AZGuyJoe

Post by AZGuyJoe » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:50 am

got it, thanks bw1. I appreciate the help.