"Second Line is a Premier Feature"

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
dsiebenh
"Second Line is a Premier Feature"

Post by dsiebenh » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:30 am

Ooma works great for me. Except for one thing.

I do not have Premier, and the free trial is expired.

If the line is in use, and for instance the wife says "Joe is on the phone, pick up". I go to a phone, pick it up, and get "The Second Line is a Premier Feature", or similar.

If I hit Flash, there is Joe on the line.

I would prefer not to hear this message and need to hit flash every time. I just want to pick up. The wife has lost some calls switching from one phone to another because she didn't flash it over.

Ideas?

Groundhound

Re: "Second Line is a Premier Feature"

Post by Groundhound » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:29 am

Assuming you are using the Hub/Scout and have no landline integration, and you have your other phone connected to a Scout which is in turn connected to your Hub via house wiring, do the following. Disconnect the Scout and set aside for the moment, disconnect your Hub's wall port and plug that wire from the room jack into the Hub's phone port (use a splitter if you also need to connect a phone there). Now connect your second phone directly to its room jack (no Scout). The phone should now act as an extension to the other phone.

If you want to use the Scout as a remote VM device, use splitters to reconnect both the wall port along with the phone port of the Hub and then connect both the Scout's wall port and the phone to the the room jack via another splitter. Nothing should be connected to the Scout's phone port.

dsiebenh

Re: "Second Line is a Premier Feature"

Post by dsiebenh » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:07 pm

Bingo, I think this will do it.

Your assumptions were all correct and the instructions very good.

I already had the hub hooked up with 2 cables and a splitter/combiner, I forget why exactly. One hub port performs one function and one port another; maybe something with call waiting? I forget.

To test I removed the scout and plugged the phone into the wall and it worked perfectly. So off to buy another splitter so I can use the scout as a remote answering machine interface.

Thanks.