Telo voice mail volume

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
EDog
Telo voice mail volume

Post by EDog » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:07 pm

It seems the voice mail volume on the Telo is quite, quiter, and off. In fact, it seems like when the volume is off, I press the volume button and it still is off. A third press and it is quite but audible. A fourth press and it is louder, but still somewhat quite. Any way to jack up the volume a bit more? :|

hpepper

Re: Telo voice mail volume

Post by hpepper » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:15 am

EDog wrote:It seems the voice mail volume on the Telo is quite, quiter, and off. In fact, it seems like when the volume is off, I press the volume button and it still is off. A third press and it is quite but audible. A fourth press and it is louder, but still somewhat quite. Any way to jack up the volume a bit more? :|
Yep - an ongoing concern for many.

As a work-around if you tap the > forward key fast while listening you can bring the volume up some. You have to hit it just right and if it pauses the voicemail, tap again.

amoney

Post by amoney » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:12 pm

hpepper wrote:
EDog wrote:It seems the voice mail volume on the Telo is quite, quiter, and off. In fact, it seems like when the volume is off, I press the volume button and it still is off. A third press and it is quite but audible. A fourth press and it is louder, but still somewhat quite. Any way to jack up the volume a bit more? :|
Yep - an ongoing concern for many.

As a work-around if you tap the > forward key fast while listening you can bring the volume up some. You have to hit it just right and if it pauses the voicemail, tap again.
Huh?

What is this about the > forward key increasing volume??? I cant get it to work. It doesnt make any sense.

:?

I intially posted the same question, actually twice, and others indicated that theirs was loud like a normal speaker. Mine is not the case, even on the loud setting, it is quiet and totally unacceptable. I thought Ooma had to be kidding. It is a joke it is so bad. So is this normal or not?

When I received my Telo, I immediately noted a something flopping around inside, I assume it is the speaker and got knocked out of place. Unfortunately I can not readily open the Telo and simply fix the speaker. My Telo has been functioning very well and I am not interested tempting fait with a change out at this point.

Plus I actually prefer to check messages from the handset. Additioanlly I prefer to use my Panasonic answering machine. So its not a big deal for me. Note I would probably be more apt to trying to use Ooma voice mail if that speaker worked.
Comcast > Telo > WRT54G

bw1

Post by bw1 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:00 pm

amoney wrote:
I intially posted the same question, actually twice, and others indicated that theirs was loud like a normal speaker. Mine is not the case, even on the loud setting, it is quiet and totally unacceptable. I thought Ooma had to be kidding. It is a joke it is so bad. So is this normal or not?

When I received my Telo, I immediately noted a something flopping around inside, I assume it is the speaker and got knocked out of place. Unfortunately I can not readily open the Telo and simply fix the speaker. My Telo has been functioning very well and I am not interested tempting fait with a change out at this point.

Plus I actually prefer to check messages from the handset. Additioanlly I prefer to use my Panasonic answering machine. So its not a big deal for me. Note I would probably be more apt to trying to use Ooma voice mail if that speaker worked.
I would say its not normal if you have it on the highest setting. There should be 4 volume levels plus off or silent. I find that the first is not audible at all and the second, I can barely hear. The third is a little too low and the 4th is just acceptable.

southsound

Post by southsound » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:05 pm

amoney wrote:
What is this about the > forward key increasing volume??? I cant get it to work. It doesnt make any sense.
It was a bug that we discovered during beta testing. I guess they may have fixed it now but it used to be the only way we could get the silly thing loud enough to hear. We know the hardware is capable of louder volumes - and I would guess that a future release will be pushed that will correct it. Updates are pushed automatically from ooma and in most cases, don't require any user intervention.
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

bw1

Post by bw1 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:10 pm

southsound wrote:
amoney wrote:
It was a bug that we discovered during beta testing. I guess they may have fixed it now but it used to be the only way we could get the silly thing loud enough to hear. We know the hardware is capable of louder volumes - and I would guess that a future release will be pushed that will correct it. Updates are pushed automatically from ooma and in most cases, don't require any user intervention.
I thought they got it as loud as they could without causing distortion from the speaker. I know all of us were asking for louder. :)

amoney

Post by amoney » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:16 pm

bw1 wrote:
amoney wrote:

I would say its not normal if you have it on the highest setting. There should be 4 volume levels plus off or silent. I find that the first is not audible at all and the second, I can barely hear. The third is a little too low and the 4th is just acceptable.

I would say the forth on mine is barely acceptable.

I dont want to waste my time getting a replacement if I am going to end up with the same. Like I said before its not a issue for me at this time. I am more concern about the quality of the product as a whole, when others indicated they have no issues, I thought, OK, so I got a dud (as I said the speaker was flopping around in side - now I think its jammed possibly in a bad position muffling the speaker), now if many others report the same, there is a quality issue in the manufacturing.

Best bet is just use a handset to check messages.
Comcast > Telo > WRT54G

LloydEwing

Post by LloydEwing » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:57 am

I am confused. This problem has existed for a long time, and the new Telo I just bought last week still has the problem.

Does anyone on this forum speak for the Ooma Corporation?
Can we get an official answer to the question of whether the problem will be fixed with a firmware update?
If so when can we expect to see it?

It seems to me that the problem could be reduced by directing the sound to the top of the unit instead of the side and down. If nothing else can be done, the company could manufacture a plastic sound reflector which customers could then glue onto the sides of their Telos.

Thanks,
Lloyd
(512)836-7893

southsound

Post by southsound » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:37 am

LloydEwing wrote:It seems to me that the problem could be reduced by directing the sound to the top of the unit instead of the side and down. If nothing else can be done, the company could manufacture a plastic sound reflector which customers could then glue onto the sides of their Telos.
I've heard (no pun intended) of people having success with these in low volume situations:

ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

LloydEwing

Post by LloydEwing » Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:52 am

Ha ha, very funny, south.
I probably should have known that my comment would get a reply like that.
But let me ask you how this forum works. You must be one of the most active member of the forum. What does it take to get a reply from the Ooma people? I see that product managers Dennis P and Bobby B are quite active on the forum. Do I need to contact them directly?

I am quite concerned about the hardware design problems with the Telo. I can work around the voice mail problem, but another post I made asking about environmental requirements has also been ignored. The lack of any vents in the Telo case causes me to wonder if these units will have to be recalled or replaced. I have never seen a similar product (e.g., router or modem) that gets this hot and has no ventilation. I doubt that the Telo should be used in any area that is not air conditioned.

I like my new Telo very much and I hope I can continue to use it.
Lloyd
(512)836-7893