Inbound caller ID not working

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
gods.girl
Inbound caller ID not working

Post by gods.girl » Sat Dec 26, 2009 5:15 pm

Installed my Ooma Telo 3 days ago, and the inbound caller ID was working fine displaying the incoming phone numbers. Since yesterday it stopped working and only says "No Data". I've tried to unplug the Telo and let it reboot. I've called Ooma to find out how to correct this issue, and they only would say get a different phone or your phone was bricked. i have no idea what bricked means, and the phone and caller ID was working fine for the first 2 days so i dont think its the phone. I'm using a cordless GE Dect 6.0 handset. Anyone else having this issue and know how to fix it or what's going on for it to stop reading the ID numbers? By the way, I did NOT port a number so it's not an issue of waiting for the port to take effect.

murphy

Re: Inbound caller ID not working

Post by murphy » Sat Dec 26, 2009 6:06 pm

Did you integrate your land line with Telo? If you did, you must have caller ID service on your land line.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

gods.girl

Post by gods.girl » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:36 am

No, I don't have a land line. However, I borrowed someones brand new Ooma handset to try and it reads fine, so it must be the phone having issues with Ooma? Why did it work fine at first installation of Ooma Telo and not now? I dont understand though, because the phone is only a year old and a DECT 6.0. After trying the Ooma handset, I dont really care for it and would prefer to stick with a regular cordless. I found the handset responds slow and has some glitches where it freezes up and you have to shut the phone off completely to get it to start working again. Also the battery only lasts just over an hour. The phone had never been used yet so when i plugged it in for the first time i left it to charge for almost 20 hours so it should be charged correctly. Are there any particular DECT 6.0 phones that will work with Ooma for the caller ID? I've been looking at Panasonic in particular.
Thanks!

bw1

Post by bw1 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:57 am

It's been reported here that certain cordless phones are not correctly displaying caller id with the Telo. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5717&p=41030&hilit= ... elo#p41030
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5612&p=40652&hilit= ... elo#p40652

My Panasonic model KX-TG6440 works fine.

southsound

Post by southsound » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:06 pm

My Uniden DECT 1580-5 (five handsets - also comes with 2, 3, or 4) works very well. Got mine with a $25 off coupon from Staples so my cost was just $75.00 - no rebates required.
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

indie_dev

Post by indie_dev » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:57 pm

I opted to keep my land line for backup purposes.

My Panasonic KX-TG6445T (Dect 6.0) handsets displays "unknown" for all in-bound calls. So there is something fishy going on there. The base unit is connected directly into the Telo and the Telo into the wall jack.

southsound

Post by southsound » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:45 pm

indie_dev wrote:I opted to keep my land line for backup purposes.

My Panasonic KX-TG6445T (Dect 6.0) handsets displays "unknown" for all in-bound calls. So there is something fishy going on there. The base unit is connected directly into the Telo and the Telo into the wall jack.
Keeping a landline for backup is a great idea. Many of us on the forum have chosen to do so. But most of us have NOT chosen to integrate our landline with ooma. In my humble opinion, it is one of the most aweful ideas ooma has ever devised. It causes you to lose many of the free ooma features and really sabotages ooma Premier if you choose to purchase it. My recommendation, keep your landline but have ooma assign you a new number for your device. Then unplug the cable that runs from your wall to the wall port of the ooma. Set up call forwarding on your landline to the new ooma number. Keep a corded phone connected to the landline for backup in case the power or Internet goes down. That way you have the best of all worlds. Free access to any US number, call waiting, voicemail, the ability to have Premier if you want extra features - and a reliable landline for emergency purposes if the power goes out. The integrated landline is nothing but trouble. Did I mention that I don't like the integrated landline???

And above all, welcome to ooma and to the forums! :cool:
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

indie_dev

Post by indie_dev » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:50 am

southsound wrote:

Keeping a landline for backup is a great idea. Many of us on the forum have chosen to do so. But most of us have NOT chosen to integrate our landline with ooma. In my humble opinion, it is one of the most aweful ideas ooma has ever devised. It causes you to lose many of the free ooma features and really sabotages ooma Premier if you choose to purchase it. My recommendation, keep your landline but have ooma assign you a new number for your device. Then unplug the cable that runs from your wall to the wall port of the ooma. Set up call forwarding on your landline to the new ooma number. Keep a corded phone connected to the landline for backup in case the power or Internet goes down. That way you have the best of all worlds. Free access to any US number, call waiting, voicemail, the ability to have Premier if you want extra features - and a reliable landline for emergency purposes if the power goes out. The integrated landline is nothing but trouble. Did I mention that I don't like the integrated landline???

OK now that is an excellent idea!! Thanks for sharing.

The question now is, can I still get an Ooma number even though I activated it with the option to keep my pre-existing land line? I dread having to call Ooma tech support because that may not end well. :D

bw1

Post by bw1 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:48 am

indie_dev wrote:
southsound wrote:

OK now that is an excellent idea!! Thanks for sharing.

The question now is, can I still get an Ooma number even though I activated it with the option to keep my pre-existing land line? I dread having to call Ooma tech support because that may not end well. :D
Yes, but you have to call customer support. :(

indie_dev

Post by indie_dev » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:23 am

Thanks. Did exactly as you said and my caller ID works now.

Getting the number from Ooma support was a pretty confusing process. What should have been a 2-3 minute phone call, ended up taking what seemed like forever. I had to KEEP explaining that I did not want to port my number, that the number currently on my account was my land-line number, that I didn't already have an Ooma number etc etc.

Anyway, it worked out. Now I have my land line separate from the Ooma line and most importantly, I have my caller ID.