Ooma setup page and Kaspersky

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
sandman_a_c
Ooma setup page and Kaspersky

Post by sandman_a_c » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:18 pm

I've seen several mentions of Kaspersky preventing users from accessing setup.ooma.com. But no real work arounds without totally disabling kaspersky. I think I found the culprit.

*Disclaimer* I'm not a security professional. Following the steps below may reduce the security your antivirus provides. Don't blame me if you get a virus after you perform these steps.. you have been warned.

It appears that the monitoring of port 80 by Kaspersky is what causes the issue. You can disable it by following the steps here.
http://support.kaspersky.com/kis2009/er ... =208279707

Note, most of your internet traffic goes over port 80. You'll probably be more secure if you leave this enabled and just disable Kaspersky when you need to access setup.ooma.com. But if it really bugs you, this is how to do it.

amoney

Re: Ooma setup page and Kaspersky

Post by amoney » Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:03 am

I have used Kaspersky in the past, just surious what the issue is.

You "should" be able to add setup.ooma.com into a "trusted" list in Kaspersky somewhere that would not totally disable port 80 monitoring. Keep poking around.

Later tonight I will load up Kaspersky and check things out to see.
Comcast > Telo > WRT54G

caseybea

Post by caseybea » Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:05 am

I would agree; the link referenced in the original post shows disabling port 80 monitoring - the reason for doing so was because two different security products on the PC were conflicting with each other, big-time. (Which is, or will be, fixed in a Kapersky update).

You should not "disable" port 80 monitoring as a solution to this problem, you're un-doing a bunch of security by doing that and your pc becomes at rish to nefarious web sites. As per the previous post to mine, see if you can make the ooma device "trusted".
Ooma Hub customer since January 2010
Telo2 upgrade (hub retired) October 2016
Service Level: Core

sandman_a_c

Post by sandman_a_c » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:06 am

I too thought I could add setup.ooma.com to the Kaspersky trusted list, but this does not solve the issue.

alancommike

Post by alancommike » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:08 pm

You *should* be able to somehow get Kaspersky to allow setup.ooma.com, but I wasn't able to do it either. The rule generation/maintenance aspect of Kaspersky is pretty awful, so there's no indication of why it's blocking the site or how to stop it from blocking it.

Rather than turning of scanning of all of port 80, just pause Kaspersky when you want to access setup.

...alan

amoney

Post by amoney » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:52 am

alancommike wrote:You *should* be able to somehow get Kaspersky to allow setup.ooma.com, but I wasn't able to do it either. The rule generation/maintenance aspect of Kaspersky is pretty awful, so there's no indication of why it's blocking the site or how to stop it from blocking it.

Rather than turning of scanning of all of port 80, just pause Kaspersky when you want to access setup.

...alan
Ah nice work around.

I haven't had time to look yet, I myself preferred the older Kaspersky versions. Go figure.

I am currently using NOD32, not as busy as Kaspersky and already proved formidable against rouge websites.
Comcast > Telo > WRT54G