Cannot Port Phone Number

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
fthomasson
Cannot Port Phone Number

Post by fthomasson » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:20 am

I am a new with Ooma. I initiated service on Jan 6th. The voice quality is great. I live in Richmond Hill,Ga which is a community near Savannah,GA. Ooma gave me a Savannah phone number. Richmond Hill and Savannah are in the same service area (ie.. all calls local). However Savannah is served by AT&T and Richmond Hill is served by Centurytel. Today, I tried to Initiate the process to port my telephone number and was greeted by a message my existing phone number could not be ported.

I thought that the phone companies must allow you to port your number. Exactly what are the conditions on which porting is allowed. If I was aware of this issue, I probably would not bought a Telo. Incidently, I ordered it from Ooma.

Is it a certainty that I cannot port my phone now or in the near future?

Thanx

Reinhard2410

Re: Cannot Port Phone Number

Post by Reinhard2410 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:51 am

I ran into the same problem 2 weeks ago so I called Ooma support. It was explained to me that Ooma does not have service to port the number from my area. My wife and I decided to keep using Ooma (Telo) with the new number because we are very satisfied with the call quality and service Ooma offers. The number change will take some time to accomplish because of all the contacts I have to make but I feel it is worth it. :D

Mike-o-Matic

Post by Mike-o-Matic » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:25 am

Always a good idea to check if your number can be ported, prior to the purchase. That can be done here:
http://www3.ooma.com/phone_numbers.php

Unfortunately, if somebody doesn't know about that in advance, that makes it pretty darn hard to test the premise... :(
Customer Since: November 2009.
Number Port: ordered 12/14/09; completed 01/07/10.
Hardware: one Hub, one Scout, one Telo.
Service Level: Annual Premier.

Potts

Post by Potts » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:52 pm

Mike-o-Matic wrote:Always a good idea to check if your number can be ported, prior to the purchase. That can be done here:
http://www3.ooma.com/phone_numbers.php

Unfortunately, if somebody doesn't know about that in advance, that makes it pretty darn hard to test the premise... :(
I agree with Mike-o-Matic in checking http://www3.ooma.com/phone_numbers.php For those that can't port the land line.

Ooma offers temp. numbers for testing. If your temp. no# is long distance. Ooma can order you a local no#. This may take a few weeks.

If you can deal with the long delays and lack of email support, you'll find Ooma to be GREAT.

My findings.....
Ordered local number 3 weeks
Porting 7 weeks
Very Happy.
Setup Dec. 2009. Cable Modem, (Hub and Scout purchase Amazon.Com) Router (Linksys WRT5465S2) Ooma Premier.

fthomasson

Post by fthomasson » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:35 pm

There is no detectable delay present in any of my calls. I have very high speed cable - Comcast. The "up link" speed tests out consistently around 4.1 Mbps and the "downlink" speed is around 20.0 Mbps. I set the "up" QoS at 3.6 Mbps. One of the posts on the forum said if you checked the FAX block in the setup it doubled you bandwith. I did that. I am very pleased with the voice quality. The number I got from Ooma is not long distance for Richmond Hill. I just don't want to go through with the hassle of notifying so many people. But saving $48/month has a strong appeal.

Potts

Post by Potts » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:36 pm

fthomasson. I don't understand what your past posting has to do with (Cannot Port Phone Number) I'll remove myself from this topic, Regards..
Setup Dec. 2009. Cable Modem, (Hub and Scout purchase Amazon.Com) Router (Linksys WRT5465S2) Ooma Premier.