No Google Voice for original hub

Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
VicMatson
Re: No Google Voice for original hub

Post by VicMatson » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:58 am

Oh yes, you have a point, I'm in a similar boat. I was referring to people that have the Hub and feel cheated. But I think Google itself is part of the problem because they are slow, so when you add Ooma PR this is what happens.

murphy

Post by murphy » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:59 am

You can request an invite on the Google voice website.

http://www.google.com/voice

I did and received the invite in about 2 weeks.

Your chances are probably better if you already have a Gmail address and use it for the request.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

VicMatson

Post by VicMatson » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:09 am

murphy wrote:You can request an invite on the Google voice website.

Your chances are probably better if you already have a Gmail address and use it for the request.
Yes, but I want my mapo...GV extentions! :D

crpeck

Post by crpeck » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:15 am

SDGeek,
Well - almost everything goes through Beta at some point. I didn't base anything on a "proposed feature", I based it on a Press Release titled "ooma Adds Features to Enhance Google Voice™ Experience" made last March. I don't think it is unreasonable to hold a company to announcements like that (even though many of them never do come through with it). In case you haven't read the previous postings (we did quote this & other releases nuberous times), the 1st paragraph states:
Palo Alto, Calif — March 18, 2009 — ooma, Inc. today announced a set of ooma Premier™ Google Voice Extensions (GVE) compatible with its current and future home phone systems planned for summer release. ooma simplifies the Google Voice user experience, enabling consumers to take advantage of the complementary capabilities found in both offerings, for a truly integrated and seamless phone experience – regardless of phone type or location.

An ooma system consists of the ooma Hub™ connected to a broadband connection and an existing home phone. The ooma Scout device extends the benefits of the ooma system to additional phone jacks in the home. The ooma system is a $249.99 hardware bundle that includes an ooma Hub and ooma Scout. ooma Premier is an optional level of service offering multiple advanced telephony features for the ooma system and costs $12.99 per month or $99.99 per year. ooma Telo is the second generation ooma hardware platform and will be available with optional DECT 6.0 wireless handsets in the third quarter of 2009.
I think we've beaten this horse enough - it's dead and I doubt that anything we say here is going to move Ooma to do anything for the few of us that actually care about it. It wouldn't hurt to pass along our comments to some of the other Gadget blogs, it would at least serve as a warning to people to not buy a Hub if they care about updates & more features.

ggilman

Post by ggilman » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:27 am

murphy wrote:You can request an invite on the Google voice website.

Invites do seem to come out pretty quickly now. An even quicker way though can be found if you are in the military or know someone from the military willing to make the request for you. They must have a .mil email address but if they fill out the info at https://services.google.com/fb/forms/go ... emilitary/ the invite comes through in about 24 hours.

BlueHeeler

Post by BlueHeeler » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:22 am

SDGeek,

As crpeck stated, this was not a blog but a formal Press Release. It was an announcement, not speculations or hopes or dreams. The list of future features and priorities of features floating the boards are what I would assume speculative. The press release of March stated a summer release, basically a 3-6 month lead time. One would assume from that press release and lead time, that beta testing was either complete or close to complete and they were simply working through the logistics of the roll-out. When I purchased, the speculation was that it would be rolled out with the My Ooma upgrade. This made sense that a software and web upgrade may be required.

I'll give the company more time. I'm sure many more users are upset or disappointed and as I've stated before, the company has resolved other customer service blunders in an acceptable fashion, so maybe they will realize their mistake here and make amends as well.

KMac

Post by KMac » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:51 am

Core owners who were looking for GVE may be a minority but I feel deliberately misled. This is my welcome to Ooma?

I did my research and purchased the Ooma Core system 12/18/2009 at a higher price than the Telo system was being offered despite the Telo included 6 months of premier. The ability to use a second line without relying on the horribly reviewed handset led my decision but was confirmed with the March 18 press release regarding GVE. Ooma stated that their product would work for my intended purpose. It does not.

I activated the unit, purchased the premier service and ordered my number port the same day based on my trust in that statement.

I found these forums searching for how I could display my GV number as my CID number in order to protect myself from being "SunRocketed" again. I do not want anyone to have access to a telephone number that may go dead without warning, thus my need for the GVE.

P.S. I have a Google Voice invite for whoever describes a successful work-around to display the GV number rather than the Ooma number.

Groundhound

Post by Groundhound » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:15 pm

It was indeed a formal press release, but also one that described plans for a feature that did not yet exist. AFAIK GVE has never appeared on any Hub packaging or in the list of features included with Premier. It has always been described as a planned feature. Remember, this is a feature that relies on a third party's (Google) product, one that was not fully introduced at the time of Ooma's announcement. I'm looking forward to using GVE with my Telo, but if Ooma announced that there would be no GVE for Telo either, I would be very disappointed but I don't think it would rise to the level of a broken promise or bait and switch with cause for financial restitution, because I was not presented with a document saying this feature is what I was buying. I suppose you could say they should not have made an announcement until development was complete and they knew for sure what they could "promise", but that's just not real world today. I suspect that someone from Ooma will eventually state why the Hub was not included, if not here then perhaps in an interview with one of the tech blogs they frequently talk to.

SDGeek

Post by SDGeek » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:24 pm

I think the company pretty much covers any liability for changing services under their T & C.

"Other Service(s)" We offer additional enhanced features, services and subscription packages for a one-time or annual or monthly fee and from time to time Ooma may offer additional features, services and packages. At any time we may alter or eliminate such features, services and packages. Our Other Services, and the prices we charge for them, (including any promotional pricing) are subject to change from time to time without notice. Descriptions and pricing of Other Services that appear on our web site are incorporated into this Agreement.

•(d) Notice and Changes: Our Services are subject to our business policies, practices and procedures, which can change at any time without notice. Unless otherwise prohibited by applicable law, we can change the Terms and Conditions of your Services at any time, with or without notice. Changes may include features and prices. If we do give you notice, it may be provided on your account web page, in a newsletter, by email, by telephone or other communication permitted under applicable law.

I agree they may have jumped the gun on their announcement in the March press release.

BlueHeeler

Post by BlueHeeler » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:44 pm

Groundhound,

I think the press release can be construed as both an announcement and advertisement.

SDGeek,

You do have a point. Unfortunately, I guess it's buyer beware.