No Google Voice for original hub

Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
Groundhound
Re: No Google Voice for original hub

Post by Groundhound » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:56 am

moofrank wrote:This thread, top of page 4.
Could be she was including GVE with the HD Voice support as they were all announced together. I hope we've all worked out that we'll definitely never see HD Voice support on the Hub. That probably just isn't possible owing to hardware limitations.
wrote:Hello,

Any new extensions or new features will be supported by the Telo, not the hub.
The is because the Telo has a faster processor which will allow these expansions, the hubs processor would not support these.

If you have any other questions please feel free to contact our sales line at 1-866-452-6662

Gina
Ooma Sales Support
Or it could be she was misinformed: http://www.ooma.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=42766#p42766

gbuskirk

Post by gbuskirk » Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:58 pm

I'll add my voice. I went premier in part because of the promise of GVE. Chances that I will renew premier are diminished if GVE is not available at renewal time.

Davesworld

Post by Davesworld » Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:39 am

doug wrote:
FloridaJohn wrote:I can't really figure out what would be different for the Telo vs the Hub. Wouldn't all of the Google Voice interaction take place on the Ooma servers, not on the client device (Telo/Hub)? I mean, aren't the servers routing the calls to the devices in our house? What part of Google Voice would have to reside on our side? Doesn't Google Voice already work with a POTS line?
If I were to guess, it is because the hub uses a customized version of Asterik, while the Telo uses Freeswitch. It would not surprise me if that causes the ooma server back-end to require different interfaces. In turn, I could see that meaning GVE integration could be vastly different between hub and Telo.

But that is just a SWAG on my part -- I don't know anything about how the hub or Telo communicates with the servers.
Google Voice integration is a feature of Freeswitch which would make it limited to the telo as of yet.

Derik

Post by Derik » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:08 pm

Honestly, not buying the software on the device excuse. Half the GVE can be accomplished on their end.

Changing your outgoing number to your GV number: their end.
Rerouting incoming calls though GV first: their end.

The only possible sticky part would be the voicemail button interaction, and I'm perfectly happy to give those up for the other two.

Mid last year I really thought that Ooma was a company that knew how to communicate with their customers. That's not the case anymore.

jaysullivan

Post by jaysullivan » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:33 pm

Has anything been officially announced yet that GVE will *not* be available on the hub? And when will GVE be available, even in beta?

ggilman

Post by ggilman » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:21 am

jaysullivan wrote:Has anything been officially announced yet that GVE will *not* be available on the hub? And when will GVE be available, even in beta?
Neither has been officially announced.

jaysullivan

Post by jaysullivan » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:36 am

I was hoping that they'd announce something on February 1st - at least a beta. My free Premier membership runs out this month and I was hoping that I could test out GVE on my hub. (Sigh)

ggilman

Post by ggilman » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:14 am

jaysullivan wrote:I was hoping that they'd announce something on February 1st - at least a beta. My free Premier membership runs out this month and I was hoping that I could test out GVE on my hub. (Sigh)
Well, you may have been disappointed anyway. It has been announced that GVE would be on the Telo first. After that, it would be determined whether or not it would move to the hub (Hence the point of this thread, it MAY or MAY NOT move to the hub, nothing official). So, if you are on the hub and they came out with GVE today, I don't believe it would work for you right away anyway.

jaysullivan

Post by jaysullivan » Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:16 am

ggilman wrote:Well, you may have been disappointed anyway. It has been announced that GVE would be on the Telo first. After that, it would be determined whether or not it would move to the hub (Hence the point of this thread, it MAY or MAY NOT move to the hub, nothing official). So, if you are on the hub and they came out with GVE today, I don't believe it would work for you right away anyway.
Well, a boy can hope! :D There's been so little official information from Ooma on GVE, who knows what's going to happen. I know that they said that they were developing it for the Telo first, but maybe it's taking so long to release it because they are also getting it to work on the Hub and will release it for both at the same time! ... I know - wishful thinking! :)

MWPollard

Post by MWPollard » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:29 am

Glad now that I didn't get the lifetime premier at the end of the year. I figured I'd wait until GVE came out and delay the expense by a few months, particularly since they are already almost a year behind schedule.

Now I want to see if they even do make GVE available for the Hub. I have two scouts and don't want to replace my three extension phones (four in all) with Telo handsets at $50 each. Not only did I buy my Hub and first Scout after the GVE announcement, I have since gotten a GV number and bought my second Scout because of the proposed features with GVE, particularly notification and direct access to GV voicemail. Right now I have to check both accounts separately.