What does porting cost without Premier?

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
The Talker

Post by The Talker » Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:30 am

After seeing the features list of the tiered services, I'm not so sure I really need the Premier option.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ooma Core (no monthly fee required)

Free US calling: Call anyone, anytime, anywhere in the U.S.
Phone number flexibility: Choose a new number anywhere in the U.S. or transfer an existing number for a one-time charge
Caller-ID: See the name and number of who is calling (caller-ID compatible phone required)
Call-waiting: Switch to a new incoming call when you are already on the line
Call-waiting caller-ID: See the name and number of a new incoming call before you switch over
Voicemail: Access your messages remotely from any phone or web browser
Voicemail notifications: Receive notifications via email or text when incoming messages arrive
Broadband Answering Machine: Listen to messages hands-free with the built-in speaker
ooma Lounge: Hear messages and control your preferences online
Call logs: Check your calling history online; filter and sort to find the call you are looking for
Enhanced 911: Emergency personnel are automatically given your registered address when you dial 911 (subject to availability)
Free in-network calling: Call another ooma customer anywhere in the world for free
Outbound caller name: Have your name show up when you call out (other party must have caller-ID with name feature)
Caller-ID blocking: Use *67/*82 to block or display your caller-ID/name for outgoing calls
Anonymous call blocking: Automatically block anonymous calls from ringing your phone
Call return: Return the last incoming call by dialing *69
Landline backup: Automatic fallback during power/Internet outages or 911 calls (requires basic landline to be plugged-in)
Prepaid international calling: Make low-cost international calls starting at only a penny per minute
Directory assistance: Make 411 calls at $0.99 per call
Warranty: One-year limited warranty

ooma Premier (optional: $12.99/month or $99.99/year)

Free number porting: Transfer an existing number for free with an annual subscription to ooma Premier
Personal blacklist: Blacklist unwanted callers to prevent them from being able to reach you
Community blacklist: Harness the power of the ooma community to block unwanted callers before they've tried to call you
Call forwarding: Forward your calls to your mobile phone when you are away from home
Multi-Ring: Simultaneously ring your ooma number and your mobile phone, or any number you choose
Message screening: Screen your calls by listening in as a caller is leaving their message
Voicemail forwarding: Have your voicemail automatically forwarded to email
Instant Second Line: Make a second call even when someone else is on the phone (requires ooma Scout)
Enhanced call-waiting: Answer an incoming call even when someone else is on the phone (requires ooma Scout)
Three-way conferencing: Conference two lines together at a push of a button
Send to Voicemail: Transfer a call to voicemail at a touch of a button
Do Not Disturb: Transfer all incoming calls directly to voicemail at a touch of a button
Personal numbers: Select additional phone numbers in any calling area in the US
Directed ringing: Configure your personal number to only ring on your private extension (requires ooma Scout)
Private voicemail: Create private voicemail and Lounge accounts dedicated to a personal number (requires ooma Scout)
Distinctive ringing: Control the ring pattern based on a personal number
I am The Talker || **Lifetime Premier Service Subscriber** Use this SEARCH function folks!

Aveamantium

Re: What does porting cost without Premier?

Post by Aveamantium » Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:35 am

$39.99 for the port...
Go AVS!

wbertacchini

Post by wbertacchini » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:55 am

The cost of $39 is not the only cost to port your number. It can sometime take a long time for the porting to take place. I requested a number port a few weeks ago. I understand that it takes time for you to make the request to Quest to release my number. I don't understand why it takes so long, once my number is released by Quest, to be ported to my Ooma account. Since that number is my primary phone number, and the only number that my friends and family has to contact me it is very inconvenient when that number is out of service, which is is while Ooma does it's thing getting that number in it's system. I have been without incoming phone service now for more than a day. I also have no access to voice mail or any way of knowing that anyone is trying to contact me. I thought that porting the number from Quest, and paying a $39 fee, would have made it less of a problem than informing everyone of a new number that was assigned to me by Ooma. I am now wondering if that was a wise decision. Paying for this service of porting, and then not being able to receive any calls or messages for however long it takes for the porting is not a good thing. So far I have been without phone service for more than a day. This is more than a little bit of inconvenience, and having to pay for the inconvenience is a real slap in the face.

The Talker

Post by The Talker » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:55 am

Submitted my port request on Dec 29, 2009 and ported completed on Jan 21, 2010. It went smooth as I had already set up my DLS line billing ahead of time pending the dry loop switch over.
I am The Talker || **Lifetime Premier Service Subscriber** Use this SEARCH function folks!

caseybea

Post by caseybea » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:14 pm

The Talker wrote:What does porting cost without Premier?
After seeing the features list of the tiered services, I'm not so sure I really need the Premier option.

ooma Premier (optional: $12.99/month or $99.99/year)
Not sure which page you got that from, it's slightly outdated. Premiere is $9.99 a month, or $119.99 a year. Only the "annual" (yearly) premium includes the porting for free, if you so choose.

And for the previous post regarding the time it takes to do porting; this is not affected by your choice to get the premiere subscription or not. Ooma just takes a very long time to do the porting, period. Everyone gets annoyed by it, but I don't see it changing. Other companies can do it much faster.
Ooma Hub customer since January 2010
Telo2 upgrade (hub retired) October 2016
Service Level: Core

bw1

Post by bw1 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:46 pm

wbertacchini wrote:I don't understand why it takes so long, once my number is released by Quest, to be ported to my Ooma account. Since that number is my primary phone number, and the only number that my friends and family has to contact me it is very inconvenient when that number is out of service, which is is while Ooma does it's thing getting that number in it's system. I have been without incoming phone service now for more than a day.
On the day of the port, your number will be removed from the old service provider's system (in this case Quest) sometime during the day and Ooma should configure your number into your account/service within a few hours. It shouldn't be more than a day. Something probably is wrong and you should call customer support.

wbertacchini

Post by wbertacchini » Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:07 pm

I contacted them customer support, at least 6 times, being on hold while they go check with the porting team, making some adjustments, etc. A total of about 2 hours on my cell phone. The next day, I called 3 more times, and finally (about 36 hours from my first call) my number is ported. Hurray! :D
Just a frustrating experience, even though the people who I contacted at customer support were very kind, it still was frustrating not having incoming phone service for that long. Had I been prepaired, I might have let more people in on my "Google Voice" account and had all my numbers forwarded to that. Now that sounds like a good plan.
So now that my number is ported, I hope all goes well. The jury is still out, though other than the frustrating port, everything else seems to be working fine. (knock on wood)