Voice Delays

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
Groundhound
Re: Voice Delays

Post by Groundhound » Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:53 pm

oompah wrote:I was on the phone with ooma support earlier today. The service mostly behaved, of course, except for occasional, explosive pops coming in that he didn't hear. I have been having a variety of pretty intermittent problems - echo, dropped calls, incoming voice breaking up for 5-10 seconds - and consistent voice delay. I had set my QoS to 1700 based on speed tests. Someone on the forums suggested turning it off, which I did. Today, support told me to set it to 1800 and was sure that would fix my problems. I pointed out that we kept talking over each other because of voice lag. I then asked him to respond as soon as I said 3 when counting to 3. Voice delay was 1.5 seconds, which seems typical. He then bumped my request up and gave me a trouble ticket. But I'm not sure I can hold onto the Telo to find out if they can fix - at the end of my 30 d return period.

Our other/previous VOIP does not have this problem (nor the other issues). Are there folks who actually do NOT have voice lag with ooma? I.e., is it "a feature, not a bug"?
I don't know how there would not be some delay in talking to customer service in the Philippines. Round trip to the other side of the planet 24,900 miles, plus not a straight line by any means - maybe multiple geostationary satellite hops 22,000 miles each way, that whole speed of light thing at 186,000 miles a second. Watch any news show originating in the US where the on-the-scene reporter in a far off place is talking to the studio anchor and you can hear sometimes really long delays between the two. No matter how good Ooma is, they can't beat physics.

oompah

Re: Voice Delays

Post by oompah » Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:08 pm

Groundhound wrote: I don't know how there would not be some delay in talking to customer service in the Philippines. Round trip to the other side of the planet 24,900 miles, plus not a straight line by any means - maybe multiple geostationary satellite hops 22,000 miles each way, that whole speed of light thing at 186,000 miles a second. Watch any news show originating in the US where the on-the-scene reporter in a far off place is talking to the studio anchor and you can hear sometimes really long delays between the two. No matter how good Ooma is, they can't beat physics.
Agreed. Though I don't know whether support was in the Philippines or California (support times are based on PST, for whatever that is worth). But calling my own house should not involve satellite hops around the world, nor calling local neighbors. All, or nearly all, of our calls have a 1-2 second lag. If one is not speaking quickly, it can pass unnoticed. But if having a series of exchanges with someone, we end up talking over each other most of the time.

Has anyone with this problem gotten a solution to make it go away, as opposed to being lucky and having it just disappear after a few days?

Thanks.