How are my Google Voice voice messages ending up on my Ooma?

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
gfrobe
How are my Google Voice voice messages ending up on my Ooma?

Post by gfrobe » Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:15 pm

I hope I can explain this well.

I have my Google Voice calls forwarded to my Ooma line and have it set up so that the Ooma voicemail answers before Google Voicemail answers. Most of the time this works fine. I also have Ooma set up to send me a text when I get a message and that mostly works fine as well. However, for some reason, I'm still getting occasional voicemails bypassing Ooma and going through to Google Voice. I'm not why this is happening but even stranger is the fact that when this does happen, the message seems to be a combination Ooma / Google Voice message. For example, I'll get a text from Ooma telling me that I have a message. But the text will also include a Google translation of the message (this doesn't normally happen with my Ooma voicemails). Also, I can remotely call into my Ooma voicemail and retrieve the message but it's not actually on my machine at home. However, the message will show up in my email as a Google Voice recording so I know it's a Google voicemail and not an Ooma one.

I guess the question is, when I get a Google Voicemail, why am I getting a text from Ooma alerting me to this and how am I able to retreive the GV message by calling my ooma voicemail?

Thanks!

sfhub

Re: How are my Google Voice voice messages ending up on my Ooma?

Post by sfhub » Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:23 pm

Hmm, it almost sounds like you have Ooma's Google Voice extensions running :)

gfrobe

Post by gfrobe » Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:30 pm

Thanks for reply. I'm not even sure what that is to be honest. I don't have the Premier service though so doubt I'm receiving any extras.

sfhub

Post by sfhub » Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:03 pm

I don't know what the final product looks like, but they announced the availability sometime later this year. This is a teaser post from last year.

https://www.ooma.com/blog/2009/03/18/oo ... gle-voice/

I was kind of just joking because the problem you are describing sounds close to being a "feature" somebody might want for the real Google Voice Extensions that Ooma is implementing.

Actually it sounds really close as I understand the Google Voice extensions in some configurations would allow Ooma to forward your call to Google Voice and get information back from Google Voice to present to you.

It would be strange if your account was using Google Voice extensions given it has only been announced but is not available to end-users, but I'm also at a loss to explain how Ooma could get the Google Voice text translation.

I guess the skipping Ooma voicemail sometimes and going back to Google Voice could be some unexpected call forwarding scenario, but the text translation integrated with Ooma's notification sounds like it would need more active cooperation.

Also are you absolutely sure it is the Google Voice translation as I recall Ooma is working on that too for its own voicemail system.

gfrobe

Post by gfrobe » Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:25 am

That does sound similar. Maybe they're doing some trial testing?

As for whether it's Google or Ooma doing the translating - here are the differences. When I get a typical Ooma voicemail, I get a text message from a four digit number beginning with a 3, such as 3828. The text message simply says that I have a message and to call my ooma number to retrieve it. With these odd combination messages, the message is from "Ooma Voice Mail" and the translated message is in the text and I can call my Ooma number to get it. However, like I said, the message is not physically on my machine at home but an mp3 recording of it is in my email inbox from Google with a message saying I got a google voicemail. So, yes, I'm pretty sure the translation must be coming from Google.

Very strange!

bw1

Post by bw1 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:32 am

How do you know that you have Ooma voicemail set to pick up before Google Voice voicemail?

You can adjust Ooma but you can't adjust GV.

It sounds like, sometimes Ooma picks up before GV and sometimes GV picks up before Ooma.

gfrobe

Post by gfrobe » Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:10 am

As you say, you can adjust the time it takes for Ooma to pick up so that's what I've done. That said, my question is more about why I call into Ooma and not GV to retrieve my GV message. That's what I'm trying to figure out.

sfhub

Post by sfhub » Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:11 pm

The Google Voice Extensions are supposed to go live somewhere around Feb 1st (give or take) so I'm thinking if you are getting Google Voice transcriptions embedded in your Ooma alerts and calling Ooma allows you to retrieve GV messages, then somehow you got on some beta or there is a mixup and you are actuallying using GVX on Ooma.

gfrobe

Post by gfrobe » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:26 am

That sounds like a possibility. Thanks.

Bobby B
Ooma Moderator

Post by Bobby B » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:28 am

I think enabling Call Presentation in GV should prevent calls from going to your Ooma voicemail.

When Google Voice extensions rolls out, we should be able to prevent calls rolling to Ooma voicemail regardless of whether Call Presentation is enabled or not. There are no units in out in the field that have Google Voice extensions enabled. We plan to release it to the first beta users within the next few weeks.
Bobby B