List with Yellow Pages

Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
Dude23
List with Yellow Pages

Post by Dude23 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:37 am

I have a business that I would like to use OOMA but I read that I will lose my free business listing once I port my business number to them. I would recommend a feature that allows businesses stay in the local directories like the yellow and white pages.

murphy

Re: List with Yellow Pages

Post by murphy » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:13 am

Ooma does not support directory listings at all. A huge feature IMHO.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

amoney

Post by amoney » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:36 am

You would think, especially with Ooma wantng to expand into the buisness market. Ooma has lots of ground to cover.
Comcast > Telo > WRT54G

southsound

Post by southsound » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:33 pm

Dude23 wrote:I have a business that I would like to use OOMA but I read that I will lose my free business listing once I port my business number to them. I would recommend a feature that allows businesses stay in the local directories like the yellow and white pages.
Most directory companies are either seperate private business not associated with the local telco or a separate profit center for the main company. As such, the would love to take your money. I am pretty sure that no listing would be free, but I cannot imagine they would not take your display add for the yellow pages. Think about the companies who advertise in out of area phone books. Many of our local businesses advertise in the next community - even though it has a different telco serving up dial tone. Try calling the advertising department of the directory where you are interested in having your business appear and let us know how it works out.
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

Dude23

Post by Dude23 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:14 am

Just having a business telephone number with a plain of telephone service will get you a one line and number free listing in the yellow pages, which are for businesses. Then other online directories seem to also use this information for their sites such as switchboard.com. The listing is nothing more then your business name address and phone number. That is why people use the yellow pages or online directories because every business should be in there to look up.

I called my directory. They said something to the effect of if I ported my number to a new carrier that carrier must submit the business information to them to get the free listing, and that I should also talk to a sales person. The other local phone companies do this. By switching to a national or international carrier like ooma, maybe it is harder to do this.

caseybea

Post by caseybea » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:21 am

Sadly, Ooma does not provide directory listings at all. This is something that I hope is someday rectified.
Ooma Hub customer since January 2010
Telo2 upgrade (hub retired) October 2016
Service Level: Core

murphy

Post by murphy » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:27 am

caseybea wrote:Sadly, Ooma does not provide directory listings at all. This is something that I hope is someday rectified.
Happily, Ooma does not provide directory listings at all. This is something that I hope never changes.
:D :D :D
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

caseybea

Post by caseybea » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:45 am

Good point. :) There are people here who want one or the other-- sure would be nice if Ooma made directory listing an option.
Ooma Hub customer since January 2010
Telo2 upgrade (hub retired) October 2016
Service Level: Core

Potts

Post by Potts » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:48 am

I can see how business owners would want to move Ooma, its a great system. Being a business owner you should be able to do the listing for a cost, which should be tax deductible.
Setup Dec. 2009. Cable Modem, (Hub and Scout purchase Amazon.Com) Router (Linksys WRT5465S2) Ooma Premier.

WayneDsr

Post by WayneDsr » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:31 pm

I may be wrong, but I don't believe any voip providers list in any phone directories. Same for wireless.

Yes, and it's a good thing for me as well. There was a time I had to pay NOT to be listed!

Wayne
ooma customer since January 2009
ooma hardware: core (hub/scout) and Telo
Lifetime Premier Member