Use of 2 Hubs

Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
Bill D
Re: Use of 2 Hubs

Post by Bill D » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:25 pm

I wouldn't recommend piggybacking. Ethernet switches are cheap and you'll need more ports some day anyway.

Bill

murphy

Post by murphy » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:08 pm

morrisonhouse wrote:Technically speaking:
I have my HUB plugged into the router D-Link DIR-655.
I have 3 other computers plugged into the router, so I don't have an empty spot.
Can I piggyback 2 HUBS into one ethernet plug on the router or Do I need 2 empty ethernet slots on the router?

Richard
You can piggy back them but you MUST change the DHCP IP address range of one of them. Pick one and change all instances of 35 to 36.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

morrisonhouse

Post by morrisonhouse » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:35 am

Thanks for all your help.
Richard

Mike-o-Matic

Post by Mike-o-Matic » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:42 am

For what it's worth, when I had my kitchen phone hooked up to my Scout, I don't think any of my call-ees had audio problems.

I'd do some testing now but I've since rearranged my setup, to put the Scout where I access voicemail when I get home, and separated it from my phones. Dialtone is distributed throughout my house now, on the other pair.
Customer Since: November 2009.
Number Port: ordered 12/14/09; completed 01/07/10.
Hardware: one Hub, one Scout, one Telo.
Service Level: Annual Premier.

hpepper

Post by hpepper » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:10 pm

Bill D wrote:hpepper - If you find that you truly have Hub-quality sound on the remote end of your Scout calls, your set-up may be the key to the puzzle of Scout call quality discussed much on this forum.

The only variable here seems to be the dedicated point-to-point wire. Exactly how long (to the inch) is your wire. Is it flat 2-conductor telephone wire or 4-conductor? Is it twisted pair?

I'm pondering about HPNA signal reflections and such. It's a long shot but who knows?

Bill
Well, Iam using a single pair silver satin flat wire with my own RJ11 on each end. (I used a crimper tool to put them on as I made my own custom cable length. It goes about 22' total. I say about because it actually goes from my basement demarcation point (where the hub sits) along my joists then up an outside kitchen wall and out to the counter (where my Scout sits)

Nothing else plugs into the Scout wall jack or Hub wall jack. Just the one custom wire connecting the two.

Bill D

Post by Bill D » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:27 pm

hpepper,

The silver satin flat wire I used in one of my tests was 25 ft 4-wire and the Scout quality didn't improve, so it's unlikely that the wire type or length makes a difference and I don't think the unused 2 wires would matter.

It looks like the mystery of Scout quality continues. From the large number of credible posts I've seen, many folks convincingly say they do have this problem and many folks convincingly say they don't have it. The complainers (like me) think that the non-complainers (like you) are simply not aware they have this problem.

Pondering other variables .... Every one of my tests on my three Hub/Scout combos in two houses had one thing in common ... I had different phone numbers assigned to Hub and Scout. I haven't ever tested with the same phone number shared with Hub and Scout. Do you have separate phone numbers for your Hub and Scout?

Also, mike-o-matic, do you have separate phone numbers for your Hub and Scout?

Admittedly, I'm now getting down to long-shot possibilities. Do either of you have any other ideas what may be different?

Bill

caseybea

Post by caseybea » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:13 pm

I have a (new) hub and scout- only one phone number ("shared" setup). The phone call quality of the Scout is crap. Sorry to blow the assigned-number theory... :(
Ooma Hub customer since January 2010
Telo2 upgrade (hub retired) October 2016
Service Level: Core

Bill D

Post by Bill D » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:49 pm

caseybea wrote:I have a (new) hub and scout- only one phone number ("shared" setup). The phone call quality of the Scout is crap. Sorry to blow the assigned-number theory... :(
OK - another theory dies. Do you have any other theories? I've seen many credible posts saying they do not share this problem and I believe them. I'm stumped and I think there's a puzzle here to be solved. A good-sounding Scout would be nice to have.

Bill

sfhub

Post by sfhub » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:09 pm

Maybe there is bad batch of Scouts. Has anyone tried comparing details of the scouts like serial #s or when purchased. Sometimes the reference design works fine but there are minor changes during production cycles which don't get full testing.

Bill D

Post by Bill D » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:02 pm

sfhub wrote:Maybe there is bad batch of Scouts. Has anyone tried comparing details of the scouts like serial #s or when purchased. Sometimes the reference design works fine but there are minor changes during production cycles which don't get full testing.
Your theory makes sense. I never saw any posts of attempts to gather that info. It would be a difficult endeavor.

Its equally possible that it is a bad batch of Hubs since the HPNA interface could be the culprit (only affecting Scout calls). If a good and bad sounding Scout were swapped between Hubs, it would show if the call quality problem follows the Hub or Scout.

All three of my Hub/Scouts work identically and were bought over a couple month period from two different retailers. My daughter also has a Hub/Scout in Denver, bought later at another retailer, but I haven't bugged her for testing yet.

Bill