telo handset stuck on auto registration

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
turtlebud
Re: telo handset stuck on auto registration

Post by turtlebud » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:29 am

thanks groundhound - yes, I believe I am putting it in registration mode. i am holding it down for 3-5 seconds and it is blinking rapidly. what do I do now?

Groundhound

Post by Groundhound » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:47 am

turtlebud wrote:thanks groundhound - yes, I believe I am putting it in registration mode. i am holding it down for 3-5 seconds and it is blinking rapidly. what do I do now?
I'm out of ideas. Perhaps it is the DECT module in the Telo base. I'd send ntoy (one of the Ooma Mods) a PM with a link to this thread and see if he has any ideas.

jkeany

Post by jkeany » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:57 pm

I am having the same problem. Call cust support. Was referred to the next tier. Waiting for a call back. No answer same business day.

dsinternet

Post by dsinternet » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:52 am

When the handset says "Auto registration", try pressing menu, and then back and see if this prompts the handset to prompt for the PIN. (don't forget to press the antena button on the main Telo unit first for 3 seconds)

billc

Post by billc » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:48 pm

This is obviously a Telo Handset software issue. I had the same problem and after being told twice that support would call me back and not receive a call I took my handset back to Best Buy and exchanged for a new one. Same issue. ooma has a QA problem and they should fix it!

trichert

Post by trichert » Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:13 pm

It's not a QA problem, its a user training problem. You have to hold the network button for 3 seconds on the base unit before it can register it isn't really 'auto' registration.

billc

Post by billc » Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:36 pm

trichert wrote:It's not a QA problem, its a user training problem. You have to hold the network button for 3 seconds on the base unit before it can register it isn't really 'auto' registration.
I beg to differ, I did hold down the network button. The phone had originally registered and I used it for almost two weeks before it went into search mode. I did a factory reset on the handset and it went from searching to being stuck in auto registration mode. I have also:

Removed the battery for 24 hours on the handset
Completed a reboot of the handset
Rebooted the Telo
Completed a factory reset on the Telo

Called support twice where they had me do the above AGAIN, and then was told it sometimes takes 10 minutes for the handset to prompt for a pin and they would call back.... NOT! (and it never prompted for a PIN).

Exchanged the handset for a new handset at Best Buy.

Still doing the same thing. This is a software issue that was not QA'd properly. When multiple people have the same problem......

Don't get me wrong, I am fairly satisfied with my Telo, but since I paid for a Premier subscription and a second line I want to use what I paid for with the Premier subscription and the Telo handset!

gunfyter

Post by gunfyter » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:28 pm

I am sorry. i can't tell if you did this:

"...To speed up the registration process on the Ooma Telo Handset, turn it off by pressing the hangup button (red phone key) for 3 seconds. Press the hangup button again to turn the phone on. The Ooma Telo Handset will immediately try to register. Enter the PIN number above when prompted...."
go here:
https://my.ooma.com/account/system

dpierce

Post by dpierce » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:33 am

I have tried this method a few times without success. I’ve had three handsets replaced (one 2x) so I thought I would offer up my 2 cents worth concerning the deregistering then registering Telo handsets. According to the 1st level support agent I spoke with today, a factory reset your Telo base in necessary first then of your handsets.

1) Press the RED hang-up button on ALL handsets till off.
2) Press the antenna button on your newly factory reset Telo Base for 3 seconds (it will begin flashing)
3) Tap the first handsets RED hang-up key once to turn it back on.
4) Immediately press the zero and left soft key before any text appears.
5) It will seek the Telo base. When asked, enter the PIN found in my.ooma.com/account/system.
6) Your handset should now be registered with the Telo Base. Repeat steps 3-5 on all other handsets.

This "appears" to work fine, but...

My particular experience has been that while having preformed many factory resets on everything and having only 3 physical handsets total; I still have handsets reading HANDSET 1, HANDSET 2, and HANDSET 4. I have been unsuccessful at unregistering and reregistering HANDSET 4 to read as HANDSET 3.

Multiple calls to support have proven of little help to say the least. While only a minor annoyance at the moment, I would like to solve this little problem. I am expecting a 4th handset eventually and would like to know that the issue is one easily solved.

Anyone with firsthand experience and has actually tested and solved this particular problem is asked to graciously assist.

Thank you.