Ooma and ADT Security System

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
aaplfan
Ooma and ADT Security System

Post by aaplfan » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:30 pm

I have a monitored ADT home security system that dials out to ADT's 1800 number periodically or if a sensor is triggered.

I disconnected ATT coming into the house and connected Ooma to a phone jack to provide a dial tone throughout the house. My ADT system attempts the test call and fails each time. I can see from the call log that it's connecting for about 30 seconds but is unable to make a connection. I called ADT and they don't see my test call... After connecting back the ATT line and initiating another test, it works fine..

I dont know if it's the initial chime when you pick up the line that is confusing the security system. Called Ooma and they can't disable that chime at the beginning.

Has anyone gotten Ooma and ADT to work together? I may have to return my Ooma if I can't get the alarm thing to work out...

Thanks!

murphy

Re: Ooma and ADT Security System

Post by murphy » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:57 pm

You must connect Ooma to the same place that the ATT line comes into your house. You can't connect it to any old phone jack. The line must go directly from ooma to the alarm panel. The alarm panel feeds the rest of the house. When the panel needs to make a call, it disconnects all of the phones in the house so they can't interfere with the call.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

billdelong

Post by billdelong » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:03 pm

murphy wrote:You must connect Ooma to the same place that the ATT line comes into your house. You can't connect it to any old phone jack. The line must go directly from ooma to the alarm panel. The alarm panel feeds the rest of the house. When the panel needs to make a call, it disconnects all of the phones in the house so they can't interfere with the call.
I still can't get Ooma and ADT to work. When I plug the alarm panel directly into Ooma's phone jack, I see the alarm system use line 1 but the test fails. The alarm panel still shows a failure.

murphy

Post by murphy » Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:18 pm

billdelong wrote:
murphy wrote:You must connect Ooma to the same place that the ATT line comes into your house. You can't connect it to any old phone jack. The line must go directly from ooma to the alarm panel. The alarm panel feeds the rest of the house. When the panel needs to make a call, it disconnects all of the phones in the house so they can't interfere with the call.
I still can't get Ooma and ADT to work. When I plug the alarm panel directly into Ooma's phone jack, I see the alarm system use line 1 but the test fails. The alarm panel still shows a failure.
Have you programmed the alarm panel to dial *99 pause before it dials the central office number?
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

aaplfan

Post by aaplfan » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:56 pm

No luck. Tried *99 as well. Plugged my Ooma into a phone jack to provide a dial tone throughout my house (after unplugging ATT coming into my house at the utility closet). My cordless phone worked fine plugged into a random phone jack but the ADT system refused to connect with the Ooma. I could hear it dialing...and see the attempts on the My Ooma web page... Tried it for several hours with ADT support too.. Ended up my paying the $8.87/mo for the most basic phone line just for ADT. I'm still saving $50+/mo by switching to Ooma so not a deal....plus it gives me a phone line if there is a power outage plus 311 calling.

Thanks!

bamasteve

Post by bamasteve » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:04 am

I had a similar problem. I had the alarm guy come and look at my system. He told me that my alarm system checks the voltage across the phone line. He said the voltage across an analog home phone versus VOIP are different. So I opted for a cell phone unit that sends an alert out over the cell phone system if the alarm is tripped. The monitoring service is slightly higher than over an analog line but I am still saving approx $60 per month over local line plus long distance.