DSL Configuration Problem

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
jmohler
DSL Configuration Problem

Post by jmohler » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:31 pm

I've had OOMA for about a year and have been very happy with it. I am moving from Cable Internet access to High Speed DSL with Local Phone Service and have encountered configuration problems with OOMA. Here's what I'm seeing:

If I plug my DSL Modem/Router into a non filtered splitter and plug my OOMA base station into the other side my OOMA works and the Scout works but the DSL Modem/Router will not work. If I plug my DSL Modem/Router into a standard ADSL filter and my OOMA into the phone side of the filter the base station OOMA and the local phone serive play together OK and the DSL works but the Scout won't work.

Is there any way to get OOMA, the Scout and DSL to work on the same set of phone lines?

feartheturtle

Re: DSL Configuration Problem

Post by feartheturtle » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:49 pm

Won't work. You must isolate the DSL signal as much as possible! Filters for "non-DSL" devices (i.e. the Hub & other phones) prevent these devices from degrading the DSL signal. From all I've read, the Scout and DSL can not exist on the same pair of wires, no matter how you hook them up!

That's all I can help you with. I have cable, I'm sure someone w/ DSL will lend a hand. Welcome to the forums - and good luck!

murphy

Re: DSL Configuration Problem

Post by murphy » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:52 am

The best approach for DSL is to split the DSL out where the phone line comes into the building. Run the DSL signal to the phone jack that you will connect to the DSL modem and nowhere else. Feed the rest of the jacks in the house from the side of the splitter that has removed the DSL signal. Most modern homes are wired for two phone lines. Put the run with the DSL signal on the line 2 wires and use an L1, L2, L1+L2 splitter where the DSL modem is located so you can connect the modem to L2 and have L1 available for hub to scout communications.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx