Internet goes down almost daily continued - ooma hub

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
MsCoulter
Internet goes down almost daily continued - ooma hub

Post by MsCoulter » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:37 pm

I started a new thread because the other one seemed to get off track and onto multiple pages.

Help please!!! I decided to change to a new router today after the Internet went down again and I could only get the ooma to work when connected directly to the modem.

Now, I can't set it up at all. The modem and new router work fine, but the ooma will not turn blue. I have tried power cycling, etc. Once I add the ooma into the loop, the internet goes down. Now I have no phone service.

Also, support has not responded to either of my emails. Its been at least a week.
Last edited by MsCoulter on Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

caseybea

Re: Internet goes down almost daily continued

Post by caseybea » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:50 pm

Based on my experience thus far for the past several weeks, customer service NEVER responds to emails. You need to call them.

Often.
Ooma Hub customer since January 2010
Telo2 upgrade (hub retired) October 2016
Service Level: Core

murphy

Post by murphy » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:55 pm

MsCoulter wrote:I started a new thread because the other one seemed to get off track and onto multiple pages.

Help please!!! I decided to change to a new router today after the Internet went down again and I could only get the ooma to work when connected directly to the modem.

Now, I can't set it up at all. The modem and new router work fine, but the ooma will not turn blue. I have tried power cycling, etc. Once I add the ooma into the loop, the internet goes down. Now I have no phone service.

Also, support has not responded to either of my emails. Its been at least a week.
Have you configured Ooma to use the built-in MAC address?
Are you power cycling the modem every time that you change what is connected to it?
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

MsCoulter

Post by MsCoulter » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:05 pm

murphy wrote:
MsCoulter wrote:I started a new thread because the other one seemed to get off track and onto multiple pages.

Have you configured Ooma to use the built-in MAC address?
Are you power cycling the modem every time that you change what is connected to it?
Yes to both questions. The good news is I finally got it to work. I took a deep breath and then followed the original setup instructions. I powered down all computers and unplugged the modem, router and ooma. I went step by step making sure that everything was connected properly. I powered on the ooma first as per the instructions, then the modem, I waited 25 seconds or so and then turned on the new router. It took a while for the ooma to finally turn blue, but it did. Then I turned on the computer and I had an Internet connection. At this point I ask for your prayers (or best wishes) that the ooma is OK and that changing to a new router solves the ongoing problem or losing the Internet connection. I can't keep going through this every couple of days. I lost use of my phone for most of today.

The reason I thought it was the router this time is that the ooma kept its internet connection and only the computers lost access. I had a new router on hand in case the day came when I would need it as the old router was past its prime (at least 5 years old). If anyone can give me tips on how to configure ooma setup to increase the performance I would appreciate it. I am already set to use the built in MAC address, but I see so many settings in there that could be played with but I am afraid to mess with them. Thanks again! --sandy

MsCoulter

Post by MsCoulter » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:45 pm

Bump

amoney

Post by amoney » Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:02 pm

In all honesty, I dont know why the Ooma instructions advise turning the Telo (I believe this is what you have) on first. Generally when making change to a device directly behind your modem, you need to restart the modem first then power on the next device in sequence. If for example a router remains behind the modem and you just changing things behind the router then you dont need to bring down the modem or even the router for that matter. But again for general simple home networks, just as a preventative measure for troubleshooting, turn everything off, and then turn on the modem first and wait to complete startup and move on to the next device etc.

As for the voice quality and settings first restate your setup to be clear. How is the call quality? I would not fixs things unless something is "broken". Post speed test to see where your at. One test can be found at http://www.speakeasy.net as abase line of your internet speed. next you can post your results simulating a VOIP call at http://www.whichvoip.com/voip/speed_test/ppspeed.html

If you have modem>router>ooma then there is nothing to be done on your Telo, adjustments need to be configured on the router since that is what is in control.

Where does your computer plug into (Telo or router)?
Comcast > Telo > WRT54G

MsCoulter

Post by MsCoulter » Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:28 pm

amoney wrote:In all honesty, I dont know why the Ooma instructions advise turning the Telo (I believe this is what you have) on first. Generally when making change to a device directly behind your modem, you need to restart the modem first then power on the next device in sequence. If for example a router remains behind the modem and you just changing things behind the router then you dont need to bring down the modem or even the router for that matter. But again for general simple home networks, just as a preventative measure for troubleshooting, turn everything off, and then turn on the modem first and wait to complete startup and move on to the next device etc.

As for the voice quality and settings first restate your setup to be clear. How is the call quality? I would not fixs things unless something is "broken". Post speed test to see where your at. One test can be found at http://www.speakeasy.net as abase line of your internet speed. next you can post your results simulating a VOIP call at http://www.whichvoip.com/voip/speed_test/ppspeed.html

If you have modem>router>ooma then there is nothing to be done on your Telo, adjustments need to be configured on the router since that is what is in control.

Where does your computer plug into (Telo or router)?
I have the ooma hub, not the telo. I just added that to the title. I don't know why there isn't a seperate area for hub owners sinc ethe devices are very different. I agree with your contention about the order, but the truth is that I could not get it to work again by doing that even after changing the router, so there must be something to the instructions order.

The voice quality I get is very good, even on the scout upstairs. I can send faxes by using the *99 prefix. Receiving faxes is a problem though. My fax machine cannot detect the tone and switch automatically, I have to know that the fax is coming and set the machine to automatically receive the fax.

I was wondering if changing other default settings in ooma setup might improve the chance of maintaining the Internet connection. The hub is between the modem and router. Modem>ooma hub>router>computers

amoney

Re: Internet goes down almost daily continued - ooma hub

Post by amoney » Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:44 pm

I dont believe there is anything for your to change to improve your local area network staying up (or prevent a disruption). See how it goes, I believe you mentioned you have everything on a UPS to prevent disrruption.

Double check that everything (except a laserjet printer) is plugged into the battery backup plugs (not the surge only protection), also how old if your UPS, you can test your UPS inaction by simply unplug the UPS from the wall electrical outlet and watch to see if the UPS (load test) maintains. If it holds for a minute or two you should be OK and reconnect, if you want to do a longer test, longeer the better but I think your going to be there awhile.

And if you really want to prevent disruption, you can set static IP for your "clients" (i.e. computer, Ooma HUB, etc.), so that eliminates DHCP issues. But hold off with that for the time being. Simple is better.

You made a GREAT recommendation to seperate the forums for HUB and Telo users!!!
Comcast > Telo > WRT54G

MsCoulter

Re: Internet goes down almost daily continued - ooma hub

Post by MsCoulter » Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:57 am

amoney wrote:I dont believe there is anything for your to change to improve your local area network staying up (or prevent a disruption). See how it goes, I believe you mentioned you have everything on a UPS to prevent disrruption.

Double check that everything (except a laserjet printer) is plugged into the battery backup plugs (not the surge only protection), also how old if your UPS, you can test your UPS inaction by simply unplug the UPS from the wall electrical outlet and watch to see if the UPS (load test) maintains. If it holds for a minute or two you should be OK and reconnect, if you want to do a longer test, longeer the better but I think your going to be there awhile.

And if you really want to prevent disruption, you can set static IP for your "clients" (i.e. computer, Ooma HUB, etc.), so that eliminates DHCP issues. But hold off with that for the time being. Simple is better.

You made a GREAT recommendation to seperate the forums for HUB and Telo users!!!
Thanks!

It has been 11 days since I replaced the old router and my connection is solid so far. I hope I am not speaking too soon, but it looks like the old router was the issue and that introducing the ooma hub into the setup probably hastened its demise.