Unable to make calls

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
rschoonh
Re: Unable to make calls

Post by rschoonh » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:52 am

Thanks, Murphy -- is there a forum they do monitor, or is their only customer support done through tickets?
Ooma Telo with one handset on AT&T U-verse 6Mb DSL

Groundhound

Post by Groundhound » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:55 am

rschoonh wrote:Thanks, Murphy -- is there a forum they do monitor, or is their only customer support done through tickets?
The best way to contact support is via the phone.
888-711-6662
Monday-Friday 8am-6pm PST
Saturday-Sunday 8am to 5pm PST

adfus

Post by adfus » Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:03 pm

See the topic "Outgoing Calls Issue Solved"
Raxxal has found a solution.

mikemac

Post by mikemac » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:13 pm

adfus wrote:See the topic "Outgoing Calls Issue Solved"
Raxxal has found a solution.
I have my ooma connected directly to my cable modem (no router), so no firewall would affect the outgoing calls.

Also, most of the time outgoing calls work, it just randomly won't ring, and they can hear me, but I can't hear them. It has been confirmed by ooma tier-3 support to be a carrier issue, so I believe that post is referring to a different problem.

Unfortunately, no solution for the random no ringback/outgoing voice, just yet..

mikemac

Post by mikemac » Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:50 pm

Wanted to give everyone an update - the problem is still happening, and I noticed a new issue.

When I tried calling my home phone (# ported to ooma from Embarq) from my work (they also use Embarq) I got a fast-busy signal. The call did not ring, and it did not go to voicemail. It also didn't show up in my log. I tried calling from my cell phone (Verizon), and it worked.

All the numbers affected in my call-log are on Embarq (the same company I ported my number from). This doesn't happen all the time, only randomly. Outgoing calls do not work, and now incoming calls get a fast busy. It will come and go away, sometimes it works, sometimes not.

Here is what Norm replied when I sent him an updated log:
"Thanks for sending additional details. If I recall, our team mentioned to me awhile back that Embarq is a small telco. To me it sounds like it could be a routing issue or bad switch? I’ve pinged our carriers for an update. I keep you posted."
I'll let you know what he says. In the meantime, I would recommend everyone open a ticket, keep a log of your problem calls (incoming and outgoing), and look up what company each number is from by using: http://www.fonefinder.net (all my problem calls are on Embarq).

mmatski

Post by mmatski » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:42 pm

I ported from Vonage.
My connections are the same.
I'm pretty positive this is an Ooma issue.
I am still awaiting a response to my ticket: CS-29378

murphy

Post by murphy » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:51 pm

When you port away from Vonage you have to call after the fact and ask them to delete your number from their database.
No one who is on Vonage will be able to call you until your number is deleted from their database.

The same may be true for Embarq.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

mmatski

Post by mmatski » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:47 pm

I haven't a problem receiving calls from Vonage customers.
I have a problem making calls to anyone but 800 numbers.
There is no ring tone and I cannot hear the person on the other end.

tedsto

Post by tedsto » Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:03 am

I can't make outgoing calls. Incoming is perfect and voicemail is perfect. When I dial out, I get a clear ooma dial tone, dial the number, hear a click, but never any ringing. The other party's phone rings, they can answer, but I don't hear them, they hear me. I have tried hard reset, reboot of modem/router followed by ooma reboot after stabilization, and disconnecting everything from hub. I have ATT, 2 wire modem/router, then ooma. Download speed is 2.58b and upload is .43 mb. I spent 2 hours with customer service and they had me reboot repeatedly. My ticket number is CS 27571. I have called various numbers, Verizon cell phones, 800 numbers and Ooma, same results all the time.
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

I did some troubleshooting and I don't think it has to do with the internet connection as I receive a dial tone when dialing out. Immdiately after dialing, I hear no ringing, but the other person can answer and talk, but no voice is coming through the handset. As I said, they can hear me, but I can't hear them on my end.

mmatski

Post by mmatski » Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:12 am

I spoke to Ooma customer support last night. They suggested I turn off the firewall on my at&t 2wire modem. I did that and still have no success.
Any other ideas?