Ooma requires Credit Card for Activation?

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
murphy
Re: Ooma requires Credit Card for Activation?

Post by murphy » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:31 pm

My ancient memory says that prior to the Telo release it was opt-in. Following the Telo release it became opt-out.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

bw1

Post by bw1 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:04 pm

homeless wrote:So now if I activate my friend Ooma Telo with my "going to expire" Credit Card, will he be able to use the service after 1 year without updating a new Credit card? Will Ooma going to brick his box? I just wanna make everything clear before I going to activate my friend's box, so he not gonna blame me after all.
From section 4. (a) of the Terms of Service https://www.ooma.com/legal/terms-and-conditions:
(a) In order to purchase Equipment or activate Services from us, you must be at least 18 years old and are required to provide us with a valid email address and a credit or debit card number from a card issuer that we accept ("Issuer"), together with the billing address for the card. We reserve the right to stop accepting credit or debit cards from one or more Issuers. If your credit or debit card expires, you close your account, your billing address changes, or your credit or debit card is cancelled and replaced on account of loss or theft, you must advise us at once and provide new credit or debit card information or we may terminate Service to you. You acknowledge and agree that you authorize us and that we do not need to obtain any additional authorization from you for any recurring payments, automatic billing options or updated credit card or debit card information provided by your credit card or debit card company to us. Your account will be automatically inactivated if you put a stop payment on your account with a financial institution in connection with payment of any of your monthly or annual charges.
Note: If your credit or debit card expires, you close your account, your billing address changes, or your credit or debit card is cancelled and replaced on account of loss or theft, you must advise us at once and provide new credit or debit card information or we may terminate Service to you.

I'm sure they won't "brick" it, but they may suspend the account if they can't collect the $11.75 regulatory recovery fee that's applicable after the 1st year.

bw1

Post by bw1 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:08 pm

amoney wrote:
Groundhound wrote:
amoney wrote: You have to "opt" in for Premier service. After the free premier trial is over, it is canncelled if you do not manually purchase the service.
From the new T&C:
(b) Trial offers and special promotions: Ooma may offer its customers free trials of Services as special promotions from time to time. Such Services are not guaranteed and can be modified, extended, altered, or cancelled by Ooma at any time without notice. You will be notified when these Services are due to expire. Should you fail to notify Ooma of your intention to cancel the use of these Services beyond the trial period, you will be deemed to have subscribed to such Services and may be charged the associated fees for continued usage of such Services.
I appreciate the heads up on the TOS, for some reason I was under a very strong impression that initial activation 60 day trial of premier would simply just end if not subscribe to. Particularly in your my.ooma account it says the premier tril will end on a certain date.

Was I the only one that misunderstood this??? Or is this another example of Ooma saying two different things.

Has anyone had Ooma automatically continue the Premier after the free trial period?
The free trial is automatically opted out with the Ooma Core (hub & scout combo) and is automatically opted in with the Hub only and Telo.

Van

Post by Van » Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:16 am

I bought your product because it says on the box FREE PHONE LINE FOR LIFE WITH NO CHARGES!!!
So WHY did I have to give you my credit card number and is your company going to screw me over by trying to charge me for continued regular service after 60 days?

ggilman

Post by ggilman » Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:33 am

Van wrote:I bought your product because it says on the box FREE PHONE LINE FOR LIFE WITH NO CHARGES!!!
So WHY did I have to give you my credit card number and is your company going to screw me over by trying to charge me for continued regular service after 60 days?
As stated earlier in this thread, this depends entirely on which product you buy. All Telos and new ooma Hub only systems require a regulation fee be collected whereas the Hub/scout combo does not. This is clearly stated on the box. They are not trying to screw you over and won't charge you anything past the 60 days unless you've opted into additional services or need to pay the regulation fee.

Unrelated to ooma itself, I would personally suggest you make any online credit card transactions with generated one-time-use credit card #s. Many credit card companies offer this service where they generate a new credit card number on the fly and that card # can only be used one time or by one vendor. Charges go against your underlying credit card but the vendors never see your number. You can also generally cancel these temporary numbers at any time. If your credit card companies don't support this, PayPal also supports this feature and I use it regularly.

bw1

Post by bw1 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:30 am

ggilman wrote:
Van wrote:I bought your product because it says on the box FREE PHONE LINE FOR LIFE WITH NO CHARGES!!!
As stated earlier in this thread, this depends entirely on which product you buy. All Telos and new ooma Hub only systems require a regulation fee be collected whereas the Hub/scout combo does not. This is clearly stated on the box. They are not trying to screw you over and won't charge you anything past the 60 days unless you've opted into additional services or need to pay the regulation fee.

Unrelated to ooma itself, I would personally suggest you make any online credit card transactions with generated one-time-use credit card #s. Many credit card companies offer this service where they generate a new credit card number on the fly and that card # can only be used one time or by one vendor. Charges go against your underlying credit card but the vendors never see your number. You can also generally cancel these temporary numbers at any time. If your credit card companies don't support this, PayPal also supports this feature and I use it regularly.
This is correct, except that now you have to opt out of Premier. You can do that at any time in the first 60 days by going to the Account -> Services page on my.ooma.

You'll still get the full 60 day trial of Premier even if you opt out on day 1.

southsound

Post by southsound » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:05 am

The last two posters have graciously answered your question/concern. That said, I wonder if I could be so bold as to make you aware of a few things... This is a USER forum. Most of us are just customers like yourself. When you shout to us with unkind and rude complaints, it makes most of us ignore your future posts. Many of us have helped hundreds of users with complex or unique configuration issues and other problems outside the scope of the support ooma offers. My suggestion is to take a deep breath, calm down, and don't assume that ooma is going to take you to the cleaners. I have had my hub/scout system for nearly a year and have never paid a dime in extra fees. With my Telo, acquired in August, I was so please I opted to add Lifetime Premier (no longer available). This is a super company with great products and a vision for the future. I think after some time, you will agree. And in case you need to ask, I do not work for ooma or any other VOIP related company. Something about raccoons being below the minimum height requirement for most high tech companies. :P

ps: Welcome to ooma and to the forum!
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

mrjagster

Post by mrjagster » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:55 pm

Amen to that brother racoon!
ooma customer since September 2007
ooma hardware: Telo
Lifetime Premier Member

Joacchim

Post by Joacchim » Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:52 pm

I just started Ooma service 2 months ago and got hit with the "Premier" service charge on my latest credit card statement. I was under the impression it was "opt in" for Premier service but in reviewing the T&C, I see:

Trial offers and special promotions: Ooma may offer its customers free trials of Services as special promotions from time to time. Such Services are not guaranteed and can be modified, extended, altered, or cancelled by Ooma at any time without notice. You will be notified when these Services are due to expire. Should you fail to notify Ooma of your intention to cancel the use of these Services beyond the trial period, you will be deemed to have subscribed to such Services and may be charged the associated fees for continued usage of such Services.

I guess they have to make money somehow but I'm calling them tomorrow to opt out. I didn't sign up with Ooma so I could continue getting $10 plus phone bills. :x