Ooma Scout problem

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
pat727
Ooma Scout problem

Post by pat727 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:03 pm

The ooma hub seems to work fine but the scout will not allow us to consistently talk without disruptions. We have to use the scout as our primary phone and when it rings it will intermittently flash between blue and red on the tab...or not work at all...or if you do answer the phone the call will drop or it will have strange echoes and sidetones... The phone that we have plugged into it is a panasonic cordless.... The setup for our house is cable modem, then ooma hub, then wifi..The hub is jacked into our house and we have no landline...Suggestions?...Thanks

southsound

Re: Ooma Scout problem

Post by southsound » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:02 am

By any chance is that cordless phone a 2.4Ghz model? If so, that could be your problem. WiFi uses the same spectrum as the 2.4Ghz phones, and sometimes they do not play well together at all. I have a Plantronics cordless headset that is brutal to my WiFi network. I replaced it with a Uniden that uses the DECT 6.0 specification (1.9Ghz) and there is no longer a problem. Even some of the 5.8Ghz phones use the 2.4Ghz spectrum for signaling or something else, and may cause problems.
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

pat727

Post by pat727 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:33 am

Smithsound,
I appreciate the reply...and yes my cordless does use the 2.4 hz spectrum..I am going to try a different phone however, my scout is jacked to my house line, which then goes up to the hub through the house phone wiring and the hub is jacked into the cable modem. So it seems to me that their is a problem between the hub and the scout..
Thanks for the reply, I am going to try new phones though...Regards...Pat

jmassimilla

Post by jmassimilla » Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:59 pm

Another possibiliy could be a bad connection (high resistance) in the phone wiring between the hub and the scout. Since the current in the phone wiring is at its highest during the ring cycle, it could explain why the light is flashing between red and blue during that time. You might want to try temporarily connecting the wall jacks of the hub and scout together with a short phone line and see if that corrects the problem.
Customer since Feb 2009
2 Hub/Scout
1 Telo/Handset
Lifetime Premier Subscriber