Landline integration: Conflicting information

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
darlinsk
Landline integration: Conflicting information

Post by darlinsk » Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:57 am

I am confused about landline integration, and am not sure why I would want to officially "integrate" my landline, as opposed to just using it in conjunction with Ooma.

I have read, in numerous places, that when an Ooma system is configured for landline integration, all incoming calls as well as local outgoing calls are handled by the landline. Ooma would only handle long-distance outgoing calls, voice mail and some other phone features. Additionally, I have read that "local" is defined to be any call in the same area code as my landline. Assuming this is true, my landline would need to be set up with a fairly expensive local calling packing, as well as Caller ID, and CFB if I wanted the Premier Line 2 functionality. This would cost me nearly as much as an unlimited local and long distance plan from the phone company.

From what I can see, another undocumented option is to set up the landline with call forwarding to the Ooma number and let Ooma handle everything. This results in substantially lower landline fees. Also, from what I can see, plugging the Ooma into the wall jack provides power outage failover, even when it's not technically "integrated".

I have called Ooma technical support a couple of times, in an attempt to clarify this. Unfortunately, I reached the same cranky, unhelpful representative both times. He said that ALL outgoing calls, local and long distance, are handled by Ooma when it is integrated with a landline. Is this true? If so, why does Ooma recommend an unlimited local calling plan? I also asked what changes Ooma made to the configuration when integrating a landline, and was basically told that it was none of my business.

Bobby B, can you clear this up for us?

WayneDsr

Re: Landline integration: Conflicting information

Post by WayneDsr » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:08 am

I opted not to intergrate landline to ooma and I cut my landline down to basic services. I added call forwarding to the landline for awhile, then decided to remove that since my friends and businesses learned the new ooma number. For now, I have a phone plugged into a non ooma phone wall jack for the landline, until I decide to cancel it altogether.

Wayne

darlinsk

Post by darlinsk » Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:12 am

WayneDSR, thanks for that response. I'm still hoping that someone can answer my question regarding which calls are handled by Ooma, and which are handled by the landline when a phone is integrated. Also, WHY would anyone actually integrate, rather than set up a forward?

I can only assume that integrating a landline is advantageous for Ooma in that it reduces their traffic by routing a significant portion of phone calls through the landline -- but results in higher landline fees for the end user.

Of course, keeping costs down for Ooma, keeps costs down for everyone. But there does seem to be a lack of transparency around this issue.

trim81

Post by trim81 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:36 am

With landline integrated, all like-area codes (and possibly 800) numbers will be handeld by landline POTs. This includes zone 1-3 calling

Long distance and differnt area codes are handled by Ooma

People choose this method over forwarding the landline to an Ooma number because with a forwarded number, outgoing calls from the Ooma will display a new number and not an originating number.

And yes, with integrated, you will need to add zone 3 calling to your landline plan...and caller ID if you require it

darlinsk

Post by darlinsk » Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:44 pm

Thanks, trim81. That certainly jives with what I have been reading. Interesting that Ooma technical support gave me very different information.

I was hoping that one of the moderators would confirm this, as well as clarify it with the technical support team. It hurts to wait on hold for 40 minutes and then be given incorrect info! :-)

Mojo
Ooma Moderator

Post by Mojo » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:25 pm

darlinsk wrote:He said that ALL outgoing calls, local and long distance, are handled by Ooma when it is integrated with a landline. Is this true?
This is false - if your using ooma with a landline, only your local calls will go out through your landline. Only long-distance calls will go out the ooma network.

Also, the main benefit of using a landline is you get the reliability of being able to make calls (including 911) even during an Internet or power outage (with a corded or battery-backed-up cordless phone). You'll also be able to keep your existing number without porting your number.

The downside of keeping a landline is obviously the cost of CFB if you want to use the Instant Second Line on that number and caller-ID if you want to see the name and the number on your landline.

You may opt to get the best of both worlds (landline reliability + cost savings) by integrating ooma with a very basic landline (even with metered service) and by choosing a new ooma phone number. This way you can use your new ooma phone number for all your outgoing calls and make use of the ISL and caller-ID but still get the added reliability of being able to make calls using your ooma system when there's a power outage.

aaronbooker

Post by aaronbooker » Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:13 pm

I have a question - I'd like to take my Ooma to Cabo San Lucas and use it for making calls back to the states (while keeping my Cabo POTS/landline phone service in my Condo for local calls down there). I have DSL down there - so I'll have a landline no matter what - might as well use it for local calls.

Is there any way to trigger the Ooma to make a call using the landline/POTS line on purpose besides dialing 911? For example, in my office I dial 8 before making outgoing calls. If I could do that in Cabo to direct the Ooma to make calls via the landline, that would be perfect - then dial the states using the Ooma...

I have looked in the forums and in the knowledgebase - but can't find out this info anywhere.

Thanks for any help,

Aaron

Mojo
Ooma Moderator

Post by Mojo » Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:27 pm

By default, if you're using ooma with a landline, all your local calls will go out your landline. There isn't a way right now to force all calls to go through the landline, other than disconnecting your Internet connection or powering down the Hub (i.e. using landline failover).

darlinsk

Post by darlinsk » Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:56 pm

I am using Ooma with a landline, but have not "integrated" it. I keep one phone connected directly to the wall jack, without an Ooma hub or scout, and am able to use this as a standard landline. In fact, I use it all the time to call my Ooma number while testing QOS settings.

aaronbooker

Post by aaronbooker » Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:43 pm

I'm going to go with a 2-line cordless phone...

I do hope that a future rev of the Ooma software will allow me to choose something like 8, for Ooma and 9, for landline... That would be sweet.

Aaron
darlinsk wrote:I am using Ooma with a landline, but have not "integrated" it. I keep one phone connected directly to the wall jack, without an Ooma hub or scout, and am able to use this as a standard landline. In fact, I use it all the time to call my Ooma number while testing QOS settings.