I still have some questions - incoming caller ID, DSL

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
spmcdowe
I still have some questions - incoming caller ID, DSL

Post by spmcdowe » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:00 pm

I am new to Ooma. I like it so far, but I still have some questions to iron out. I activated ooma on Monday. I have DSL and am keeping my landline active until I decide to keep Ooma. Everything looks and sounds good, except I am not getting caller ID on incoming calls. Tech support said to wait a few days. Friday and it is the same.

My plan is/was to downgrade phone service to the bare minimum, because: 1) we have an alarm that would need to use a landline. 2) DSL + min landline just a bit cheaper than stand alone DSL. and 3) using 911, power outages, etc.

This week as I've been looking through forums, it appears that if I were to keep any form of a landline, I will not get incoming caller ID through Ooma (correct me if I'm wrong). If I downgrade to bare minimum phone service, I won't get it there either.

From what I gather, my options are: (again, help me if I'm wrong) (1)continue with my plan and do without incoming caller ID. - but I really like caller ID (2) Dryloop my DSL and port my number and cancel all forms of landline phone - in which case I'd have to switch my alarm monitoring - which I've looked into, then be without a house phone during power outages/internet downages???

My other question is, if/when I decide to port my number, will I be without my number for a period of time. I know we'd get a temporary number during the porting process, but can people still call in on the old number? I have resumes out there with my original number, and would hate to miss a call like that.

Thanks,
Smc
Last edited by spmcdowe on Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

amoney

Re: I still have some questions - incoming caller ID, DSL

Post by amoney » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:22 pm

The PORT process, on the day of the PORT, the transition will take a few hours to make the switch to the Ooma box. My experience took 3 hours from the time the landline went dead before my Ooma account was updated with my landline number.

As long as you do not integrate with your landline, you will get caller ID from Ooma (basic Hub and Telo service get you number ID only, if you get premier you get name and number ID, original Core customers are grandfathered in and get name and number).

I am not covering everything, but I am sure if you do some light reading on the forum you will understand much more.
Comcast > Telo > WRT54G

spmcdowe

Post by spmcdowe » Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:44 am

Is there a way to "un-integrate" ooma from my phone line? At that point, I'd be assigned a new Ooma number. Then I'd dry-loop my DSL and work on porting my existing number to Ooma. I assume I'd get a new landline number that I would downgrade to basic service. This sounds like the way I'd like to go, but I just need to know if there is a way to "start over" and not integrate my number. Also what would I need to do with the phone company and when? Do I wait until the port is done then get another number for minimum service?

If my understanding is correct, then only the phone plugged into Ooma (and extension bases) would be through Ooma service, while the rest of the phone jacks would be the landline. If that is the case I would look into some of those 4 or 5 phone extension bases and telo handsets.

murphy

Post by murphy » Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:48 am

The only way to switch from integrated land line to non-integrated land line is to call CS and make the request.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

amoney

Post by amoney » Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:53 am

Yes, just call Ooma, and they can reconfigure your Ooma without landline integration.

Sounds like you got yourself a plan.
Comcast > Telo > WRT54G

southsound

Post by southsound » Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:53 am

spmcdowe wrote:Is there a way to "un-integrate" ooma from my phone line? At that point, I'd be assigned a new Ooma number. Then I'd dry-loop my DSL and work on porting my existing number to Ooma. I assume I'd get a new landline number that I would downgrade to basic service. This sounds like the way I'd like to go, but I just need to know if there is a way to "start over" and not integrate my number. Also what would I need to do with the phone company and when? Do I wait until the port is done then get another number for minimum service?

If my understanding is correct, then only the phone plugged into Ooma (and extension bases) would be through Ooma service, while the rest of the phone jacks would be the landline. If that is the case I would look into some of those 4 or 5 phone extension bases and telo handsets.
First off, welcome to ooma and to the forums. Seems like you got a bit of bad information from CS about the Caller ID issue. The thing that happens after a few days is that your name gets associated with OUTGOING CID. The delay is due to propagation around the country's many telcos. It has nothing to do with your INCOMING CID. As you have already discovered, the issue is that you chose to integrate your landline. You can easily change this by 1) calling customer service at 888-711-6662 and asking them to remove the integration. Therre will not be a charge for this. 2) getting them to give you an ooma number - again no charge. 3) disconnecting the cable that goes from the wall to the wall jack on the ooma. You might also want to do 4) set up call forwarding on your landline (there will probably be a monthly charge for this from your existing telco) to your new ooma number. That way, callers will be able to reach your ooma phone with the old number. You will get caller ID even if your landline does not have it provisioned.

Edit: if you want to port your number so you can avoid the forwarding charges, you will need to add the extra line and have your telco attach the dsl to that number before you do the port. At porting, you will lose DSL unless it is attached to a valid number or Dry Looped. Since you want to keep a landline for your alarm, you do not want a dry loop. When the order is made to the phone company, tell them you want the new number to become your FIRST number and your old one to become your SECOND - then your alarm will still be connected correctly.

Many of us on the forum use our landline like the above. I am financially bound to have one because my DSL is WAY cheaper with a landline than without. It is also nice to have some corded phones around that are plugged into that line in case of power failure. I also went the multi-handset route for my ooma connected phones. I bought a Uniden DECT 6.0 set with 5 handsets for about $75 at Staples during a sale. Costco is also a great source when they have a sale. I recommend either Uniden or Panasonic as we have seen the least troubles on the forum with those brands. Vtech also has some phones that seem to perform well for some people.

If you find you need to have wired access to the ooma phone in other parts of the house, let us know and we can give you pointers on doing that will DSL and a landline. It can be done, but works on a clean pair of wires already in your wall.
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

spmcdowe

Post by spmcdowe » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:10 am

Edit: if you want to port your number so you can avoid the forwarding charges, you will need to add the extra line and have your telco attach the dsl to that number before you do the port. At porting, you will lose DSL unless it is attached to a valid number or Dry Looped. Since you want to keep a landline for your alarm, you do not want a dry loop. When the order is made to the phone company, tell them you want the new number to become your FIRST number and your old one to become your SECOND - then your alarm will still be connected correctly.
I just talked to AT&T (and had to sit through how they can get me down to $30/month for phone, etc...) A second line install will cost quite a bit - considering I'd just need it through the porting process. My question now is: can I 'dry loop' my DSL (and pay the higher DSL fee temporarily) during the porting process. That way there will be no interuption in phone. Then, after the port, I'd get new basic phone service and a new number from AT&T?

tommies

Post by tommies » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:10 pm

spmcdowe wrote:
I just talked to AT&T (and had to sit through how they can get me down to $30/month for phone, etc...) A second line install will cost quite a bit - considering I'd just need it through the porting process. My question now is: can I 'dry loop' my DSL (and pay the higher DSL fee temporarily) during the porting process. That way there will be no interuption in phone. Then, after the port, I'd get new basic phone service and a new number from AT&T?
You can try to call ATT and tell them you want to port your number out (to another carrier) and keep the current service with a new number (and down to bare minimum) So you won't need a second line, but your number will not functional untill the porting is completed.

When I dried loop my ATT/Bellsouth DSL, my number was put on a dummy account untill it ported. I guess you can ask them to do the same.
tommies

tetralite

Post by tetralite » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:30 pm

I don't have anything to say about porting, but it took about a month before my outgoing calls showed my caller ID on other people's phones. This is a function of how fast local phone companies get their caller ID databases updated, or so I have read elsewhere in this forum.