Porting...Is it really Easy ?

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
stoogeguy
Porting...Is it really Easy ?

Post by stoogeguy » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:54 pm

First...If anyone at Ooma is reading these posts, a Porting topic area should be established ( A recommendation)
...Seems like a lot of Porting questions..
Next, I finally made the request to port my number from AT & T, and when I told a friend about it, he reminded me that I placed a PIC Freeze on my line years ago to prevent slamming.
My friend, also being an Ooma user said, If you are in the process of changing carriers, then you need to be sure your local phone company will not reject the request from the new carrier--and I may have to call AT & T to remove the PIC freeze, so that OOma can complete the port, without an issue.

How did anyone who has ported already, deal with any PIC freeze challenge ?

murphy

Re: Porting...Is it really Easy ?

Post by murphy » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:50 am

You have to remove it or the port will not be processed by your current company.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

2spirit

Post by 2spirit » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:09 am

After reading this post, I remembered that many years ago I had placed a freeze on my number after a slamming incident. However my number was ported from Verizon without any hassles in late December. Perhaps the signed LOA is enough to void the freeze . . . but different carriers may well act differently. So to be sure, I would heed Murphy's advice. A phone call couldn't hurt and may save time and trouble down the road.
Telo w/ 2 Ooma Handsets
Annual Premier Subscriber

amoney

Post by amoney » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:54 pm

2spirit wrote:After reading this post, I remembered that many years ago I had placed a freeze on my number after a slamming incident. However my number was ported from Verizon without any hassles in late December. Perhaps the signed LOA is enough to void the freeze . . . but different carriers may well act differently. So to be sure, I would heed Murphy's advice. A phone call couldn't hurt and may save time and trouble down the road.
Agreed.

There was another thread that said this exactly happened and it held up the PORT.

I assumed the online LOA would be enough and rolled the dice, the email confirmations boosted my confidence and everything when well.

But as 2spirit said, your milage may vary.

Years back at the hight of putting freeze on lines to prevent slamming, I was switching landline carriers, and contacting my service provider and indicating needing the freeze removal for PORT, no sweat.
Comcast > Telo > WRT54G