Faxing problems......

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
cmikal
Faxing problems......

Post by cmikal » Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:06 pm

I am trying to fax with limited success. I have previously sent short 1 or 2 page faxes successfully. I am now trying a 14 page fax and consistently the fax is aborted about half way through with a message from fax machine indicating poor line quality. I am dialin *99 in front of the fax number as CS indicated was a requirement. Still only gets about halfway through then aborts....Suggestions please.

trim81

Re: Faxing problems......

Post by trim81 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:23 pm

cmikal wrote:I am trying to fax with limited success. I have previously sent short 1 or 2 page faxes successfully. I am now trying a 14 page fax and consistently the fax is aborted about half way through with a message from fax machine indicating poor line quality. I am dialin *99 in front of the fax number as CS indicated was a requirement. Still only gets about halfway through then aborts....Suggestions please.

find yourself a 2 TWO strand phone cord (look at the tips and you should only see 2 gold pins)

The 2 strand phone cord works better than a 4 strand because the 4 strand may have leakage between the other 2 strands.

--Change to that cord and change the setting on your fax machine/modem to 9600 baud rate and turn ECM OFF.

Dial *99, and then number.. you should be okay

Also, the fax machine should be placed behind the hub, and not the scout.

cmikal

Post by cmikal » Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:42 am

I was able to get through to customer service after being on hold multiple times (kept getting disconnected). The person I spoke to said that faxing anything over 5 or 6 pages was not possible. I couldn't get what I considered a "real" reason for this other than "thats just the way it is".

TRIM81, I am using *99. Also, using 2 line cord may not be possible for me on a continuous basis because of the way my house is wired and the location of the fax machine vs the location of the hub. I will get the hub and fax machine close to each other and give it a try for this one fax session and see what happens and also try the settings you suggested, but, if the Ooma tech is correct, the answer is "don't fax anything over 5 pages".

I don't understand what is magic about 5 or 6 pages, or why it fails at that point, but maybe someone could enlighten me.

koehn

Post by koehn » Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:16 pm

cmikal wrote:I don't understand what is magic about 5 or 6 pages, or why it fails at that point, but maybe someone could enlighten me.
There's nothing magic about that number, it's just statistically likely that things will fail with every page you tack on. I still struggle getting one-pagers to go, even with *99, ECM disabled, lowest possible speed.

So here's what I do: scan the document to a PDF and email it (I have an HP OfficeJet All-In-One). Works every time. I've read on the forums that Ooma will be implementing FOIP later in the year; assuming that happens your problems will all be solved. In the meantime, if you need to push 14 pages over the wire, scan 'em and use 21st century technology to do the job.

For incoming faxes, I have a permanent fax number set up through OneSuite. It costs a buck a month, and faxes sent to that number are emailed to me as a PDF.