Porting Success

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
gunfyter
Porting Success

Post by gunfyter » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:29 am

Yesterday was port from AT&T day. Requested the port 2 weeks ago.

I received 5 or so emails during the day advising me of the status and progress. At the end of the day the last email said that there was a problem with the LEC at the switch. My number would not be ported until the morning. OK. but I wondered if this would become an issue because I have read of others with issues.

Woke up this morning and the number was ported as promised.

I found the Customer Service attentive in keeping me informed of the progress.

All is well. Just wanted to post a positive experience as I am happy and hope that the other people who are posting with negative issues are unfortunate exceptions. Hopefully these issues will be resolved soon.

caseybea

Re: Porting Success

Post by caseybea » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:32 am

How the heck did you get a porting timeframe in only 2 weeks? Mine was a month, as is/was just about anyone else here.

2.5 weeks after my porting request, I never once received an email confirming my port date. I called custonmer service three (or was it four?) times over that time, asking for the confirmation email. Again and again and again.
Ooma Hub customer since January 2010
Telo2 upgrade (hub retired) October 2016
Service Level: Core

gunfyter

Post by gunfyter » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:25 am

I don't know.

Before I requested, I read the stories on this board. I expected delays. Requested port January 26 I received email the next morning, confirming my request. A couple hours later I received expected port date of Feb 10. In the meantime, I received emails leading up to Port day every few days telling me what to expect.

And it pretty much went as advertised....

The funny thing is I really didn't care if I kept this number or not. I only ported through OOMA because I was too lazy to call AT&T, and wanted to avoid the sales pitch I get whenever I try to cancel any subscription. They don't le you cancel online ... you have to call. been through it with AOL, SPRINT, DISH NETWORK, magazines, associations etc.. So I basically paid about $40 not to have to talk to an AT&T sales person.

I really would rather have had the Free Telo Handset instead of the Port with my Premier sign up.

Also I am not having the issues I read about with the handset ... other than some advertised features are not yet active.... I like it.

The thing I like the most is the Blacklists....

But Maybe AT&T didn't want to tick me off since I have 4 iPhones with them, Uverse 300 TV, and UVerse Pro internet with them. I have a $500/mo AT&T bill. Maybe that's why they ported me quickly. At least I will reduce the bill $60 per month now....

kruegs

Post by kruegs » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:47 am

I know this won't make you feel any better, but I have a port that was just completed today that I initiated on Tuesday January 26th. I too received e-mail status updates along the way. I did not receive one today (yet), however I can verify that my port did happen this morning. I suspect maybe my phone was down for 1-2 hours during the process. Surprising how hit or miss things are with Ooma... just doesn't add up.

Edit- My (now former) landline provider was Qwest. I did NOT have to unbundle my DSL line from the POTS line... they initiated a dry loop automagically. :D

caseybea

Post by caseybea » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:04 pm

Huh. I requested my port Jan 21. Scheduled for Feb 18th. And my provider is AT&T.

Maybe ooma has recently added staff to their porting team, thus speeding up the timeframe? That sure would be nice.

Either that, or you are darned lucky...
Ooma Hub customer since January 2010
Telo2 upgrade (hub retired) October 2016
Service Level: Core

amoney

Post by amoney » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:14 pm

caseybea wrote:Huh. I requested my port Jan 21. Scheduled for Feb 18th. And my provider is AT&T.

Maybe ooma has recently added staff to their porting team, thus speeding up the timeframe? That sure would be nice.

Either that, or you are darned lucky...
Perhaps because his was ATT Uverse, I have heard that PORTING from another VOIP is most often faster than plain old telephone line accounts.

I have even read PORT completed in less than 2 weeks time frame.
Comcast > Telo > WRT54G