Frustrated with echo issues

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
cburkart
Frustrated with echo issues

Post by cburkart » Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:13 pm

I've had an echo on local calls pretty much since installation of the Ooma Hub about 2 months ago. Just sent my second e-mail via the "Support" area form asking for help--my first e-mail about this was never responded to. Waited for a long long time on hold waiting for a support person this morning but gave up and sent e-mail instead. I started keeping a log of time/date/number of problem calls as I think I saw suggested elsewhere on these forums.

Advice/suggestions about getting access to some sort of support would help, I've never had a response to any messages sent to the ooma folks through their "Contact Us" form. Is there someone I can e-mail directly or maybe PM via these forums?

Here's my results from http://www.whichvoip.com/voip/speed_test/ppspeed.html if that provides any clues; from what I've read here it sounds like my problem is probably local switching, not a network connectivity issue?

VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 1.9 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 3.5 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.2 %
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 3.9

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 2108376 bps
Upload speed: 1937280 bps
Download quality of service: 90 %
Upload quality of service: 98 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 111 ms
Average download pause: 8 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 115 ms
Average round trip time to server: 116 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 19200000bps
Route concurrency: 9.106535
Download TCP forced idle: 76 %
Maximum route speed: 4558952bps

southsound

Re: Frustrated with echo issues

Post by southsound » Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:26 pm

I think you might be referring to my thread from a year ago "Looking for a Normal Telephone Experience" where I described my journey and the success I had after keeping a log and working with support. So you are really pretty far along in getting resolution. Now here comes the strange part. I have never had any success with emailing a request for service. Personal experience only, but I really recommend calling. Do so on a weekday during normal hours and tell them you need a ticket created for a higher level technician. I don't believe the folks who answer the normal support calls have access to the logs that the higher level folks do. Have them tell you an approximate time before a senior tech will be calling - and if you are only home certain hours, let them know this. ooma is a great company but they still have some glitches in cs. I believe the above will get you on track to total satisfaction, just like it did me.
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

cburkart

Post by cburkart » Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:11 pm

Yes I think it was probably your thread I'd come across. Thanks for the advice on getting help from the support people, I'll give your suggestions a try.

oompah

Post by oompah » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:28 pm

Email support seems useless - I sent 2 emails and got no response for 2-3 weeks. I then got a response to my second email, asking why I hadn't gotten a response to the first one, requesting I send the VOIP line test information I had sent in the first one.

Getting my call quality problems escalated to a tier 3 tech seems to have gotten them fixed; the folks answering the phone just keep wanting you to futz with QoS settings, say maybe it's your phone, etc.

But you need to call soon after the problem comes up - when I cited a call from about a week earlier that had been problematic, they said the info needed to troubleshoot was already gone.

cburkart

Post by cburkart » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:28 pm

Surprisingly, I actually got an e-mail response to this last attempt at using the online e-mail form. Unfortunately the only information was a request for speed/jitter/etc. test results and advice to change my QoS settings, something I've already messed with quite a bit. The echo is still present so I'm going to do some more e-mail back and forth, see where it gets me.