New GV problem. Calls to my Ooma number are ringing my GV

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
gfrobe
New GV problem. Calls to my Ooma number are ringing my GV

Post by gfrobe » Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:13 am

Not sure why this has started happening but whenever someone calls my Ooma number, my Google Voice is ringing on my cell phone. I don't have Premium Ooma so have not (and cannot) enable Ooma call forwarding. Google Voice is set to ring my Ooma number but these calls I'm getting are definitely from people ringing my Ooma number and not my GV number.

How do I stop this? It wasn't doing this before and seems to have just started happening in the last few days.

Thanks

gfrobe

Re: New GV problem. Calls to my Ooma number are ringing my GV

Post by gfrobe » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:10 am

Anyone have any suggestions here? I have now completely removed any connections whatsoever between my cell phone and my Ooma number. Looking through my Ooma settings, I have essentially set everything back to default i.e. no SMS forwarding or notifications, etc. However, whenever I or anyone else calls my Ooma number, both my home and my cell phone ring. How is this possible and how do I stop my cell phone from ringing?

murphy

Post by murphy » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:15 am

Did you wait 5 minutes after making the changes before you tested it?
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

gfrobe

Post by gfrobe » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:34 am

I have. I also just did a hard reset of the ooma machine. However, I call the ooma number, the ooma machine rings once and then both the ooma and cell phone ring simultaneously. It's been like this for days now and is driving me crazy. I'll have to try calling Ooma on Monday but hoping perhaps someone on the board has an answer.

Thanks!

southsound

Post by southsound » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:53 am

How did your ooma device even know about the GV number? It seems strange that a call to ooma would do this. You might want to check your GV setup and see how the forwarding is done - and if maybe you set up GV to be your default voicemail for your ooma number? I don't know what the behavior would be if that was checked, but it might cause a similar situation. Please let us know what you find when you check your GV settings.
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

sfhub

Post by sfhub » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:36 pm

Is it possible you had multi-ring or failover enabled in prior days during the Premium trial?

I'm thinking of a scenario where multi-ring or failover was set up in the past but through some snafu, when the Premium trial expired, the feature was still left enabled and configured but since Premium is no longer active, you don't have any UI to turn it off.

gfrobe

Post by gfrobe » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:39 pm

My GV number is set to forward to my cell phone (T-Mobile). The only forwarding I had set on Ooma was to send a text to my T-Mobile number when I had a voicemail. My GV number was never added anywhere on My Ooma so perhaps the calls to Ooma are somehow being forwarded to my T-Mobile number and not my GV number. I don't see a way to check. Either way, I've never set Ooma to forward calls to T-Mobile or GV and like I said, I don't even have Premiere so couldn't have set forwarding even I wanted to.

GV number was set to ring both cell and Ooma and never had a problem with that. This morning I tried setting Google Voice to not forward calls to my home number but that hasn't fixed the problem. But the problem doesn't seem to be GV forwarding anyway. It's calls to the Ooma number that are forwarding. Regardless, there is now no mention of my Ooma number anywhere in my GV settings and the problem is still occuring.

The only thing I can think of is that Ooma got my cell phone number via the "send a text message" box and for some reason is now forwarding calls to that number.

sfhub

Post by sfhub » Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:00 pm

gfrobe wrote:ike I said, I don't even have Premiere so couldn't have set forwarding even I wanted to.
I thought everyone got a trial period of Premiere? My suggestion was that sometimes we play with features during the free trial and forget we even did anything and expect the features would all be disabled once the free trial ended but who knows what can happen with snafus, system upgrades, rollbacks to older server software, etc.

Since you are sure nothing like that happened, I would systematically go through and test things out.

First, disable all forwarding in Google Voice. Call your Google voice # from a friend's phone that isn't involved in any of this. Verify neither your Tmo nor Ooma #s ring.

Now call your Ooma # and see what rings and write down the caller-id of the incoming number(s).

Now disconnect your Ooma device for 15 minutes and call your Ooma # and see what rings (if any) and write down the caller-id of the incoming number(s). When you are done, reconnect your Ooma device.

Now call your Tmo # and see what rings and write down the caller-id of the incoming number(s).

Hopefully a pattern will be detected that will reveal more information.

southsound

Post by southsound » Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:30 pm

sfhub wrote: Since you are sure nothing like that happened, I would systematically go through and test things out.

First, disable all forwarding in Google Voice. Call your Google voice # from a friend's phone that isn't involved in any of this. Verify neither your Tmo nor Ooma #s ring.

Now call your Ooma # and see what rings and write down the caller-id of the incoming number(s).

Now disconnect your Ooma device for 15 minutes and call your Ooma # and see what rings (if any) and write down the caller-id of the incoming number(s). When you are done, reconnect your Ooma device.

Now call your Tmo # and see what rings and write down the caller-id of the incoming number(s).

Great troubleshooting steps! Sometimes a person needs to spend a few minutes testing different permutations as you have laid out, but after the OP does what you have suggested, the answer should be much more clear.
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

gfrobe

Post by gfrobe » Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:31 pm

sfhub wrote:
gfrobe wrote:ike I said, I don't even have Premiere so couldn't have set forwarding even I wanted to.
I thought everyone got a trial period of Premiere? My suggestion was that sometimes we play with features during the free trial and forget we even did anything and expect the features would all be disabled once the free trial ended but who knows what can happen with snafus, system upgrades, rollbacks to older server software, etc.

Since you are sure nothing like that happened, I would systematically go through and test things out.

OK, I've done all that and used my wife's cell phone for the testing. Her cell phone has no connection at all to Ooma or my cell phone. Here are results:

Done. Nothing ringing

Ooma machine and cell phone rang -caller ID is wife's cell phone number.

cell phone rang - caller ID is wife's cell phone number

Now call your Tmo # and see what rings and write down the caller-id of the incoming number(s)
cell phone rang - caller ID is wife's cell phone number

Does this help?

Thanks again for your help. My daughter's friends are incessantly calling our Ooma number and the constant ringing of my cell phone is driving me crazy! :D