Calls dropped when getting on the internet

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
kusche25
Calls dropped when getting on the internet

Post by kusche25 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:51 am

My wife tells me everytime she is on the phone and my daughter gets on the internet she gets dropped off her phone call. I just upgraded our speed with Time Warner last night and made changes to my Qos page. I have the Ooma between my router and modem. Am I missing something here?

murphy

Re: Calls dropped when getting on the internet

Post by murphy » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:59 am

Is your daughter's computer connected via wireless?
Is the phone your wife is using a cordless phone using 2.4 GHz?
If both are true, they can interfere with each other because they both use the same frequency range.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

kusche25

Post by kusche25 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:13 am

My daughter was on the desktop computer and my wife was on the cordless phone 5.8 ghz. My wife got back on the phone after getting disconnected and then my daughter tried to get on the internet but got the no connection page. Seems like it is one or the other that works, not both at the same time.

southsound

Post by southsound » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:30 am

murphy is definitely on the right track. The problem is with the phone stomping on your wireless signal. Many 5.8ghz phones use a 2.4ghz signal channel and will interfere with your wireless. Maybe not all the time, but when they change to the same frequency as your WiFi, things go down. My suggestion is to purchase one of the new Panasonic or Uniden DECT 6.0 systems. They use 1.9ghz and will work great with WiFi. Also, they come with lots of features and can be had for a very good price. My Uniden 5-handset system was just $75 at Staples but I have seen the same system on sale for $69!!
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

kusche25

Post by kusche25 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:36 am

I have had the same phones for the last 3-4 years and have never had problems before with my wifi. I did make changes last night in my setup after having my cable upgraded from RR lite to RR basic. My download and upload speeds have increased by 3 times. Any correlation?

kusche25

Post by kusche25 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:54 am

Maybe I just answered my own question. Since I upgraded...now I am having the dropped calls which would correlate to the interference with the wireless phones you are talking about. Maybe I'll go buy the Dect phones and see how that works. thanks

amoney

Post by amoney » Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:28 pm

kusche25 wrote:I have had the same phones for the last 3-4 years and have never had problems before with my wifi. I did make changes last night in my setup after having my cable upgraded from RR lite to RR basic. My download and upload speeds have increased by 3 times. Any correlation?
If your desktop is connected by ethernet cable then your wireless phones should not have anything to do, more over, you said you have used your wireless phones with your wireless router and had no issues.

You said you made changes, after the upgrade in speed and thats when the issue began, so undo those changes, how was Ooma before the speed upgrade?

I am constantly working in mixed wireless environments 2.4, 5.8, G netowrks, even what I hate N networks, and I never see interference between devices, perhaps because they are on different channels.

I have only seen one thread here that detailed that the wireless router was operating on the same default channel as the wireless handsets which cause computer wireless interruption. Simple changing of the wireless channel was the fix.

Again you mentioned changes. So try resetting your router to defaults and see?
Comcast > Telo > WRT54G

amoney

Post by amoney » Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:35 pm

southsound wrote:murphy is definitely on the right track. The problem is with the phone stomping on your wireless signal. Many 5.8ghz phones use a 2.4ghz signal channel and will interfere with your wireless. Maybe not all the time, but when they change to the same frequency as your WiFi, things go down. My suggestion is to purchase one of the new Panasonic or Uniden DECT 6.0 systems. They use 1.9ghz and will work great with WiFi. Also, they come with lots of features and can be had for a very good price. My Uniden 5-handset system was just $75 at Staples but I have seen the same system on sale for $69!!
Southsound, I assume a typo when you said 5.8ghz phones use a 2.4ghz signal...
Comcast > Telo > WRT54G

southsound

Post by southsound » Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:39 pm

amoney wrote:I am contantly working in mixed wireless environments 2.4, 5.8, G netowrks, even what I hate N networks, and I never see interference between devices, mostly because they are on different channels.

I have only seen one thread hear that detailed that the wireless router was operating on the same default channel as the wireless handsets which cause computer wireless interruption. Simple changing of the wireless channel was the fix.
I'm glad for you that you have had such great experience with your mixed networks. There are MANY posts in the forum that will tell you that there are problems that may strike without notice. You see, even though a phone may work fine for a while, they are frequency agile devices by design. Ever wonder what the little "chan" button does on your phone? It changes the channel on your 2.4ghz or 5.8ghz handlet so if you are getting noise, they can switch to a different channel. Most folks assume that a 5.8ghz phone is OK with a wireless b or g network, but many of these phones also use 2.4ghz for non-voice control signals between the base and handset. Back to 2.4ghz, I have a Plantronics CT-12 that is such a brute that it doesn't even matter what channel it is on - use it and wireless goes away. And if you think that draft N systems are immune, you need to realize that the spec requires LEGACY compliance which means 2.4ghz.

Edit: Just read your question about a typo. NO, see my comment above regarding how some work in red. If you need, I can post some links to spec sheets that validate what I am saying.
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

murphy

Post by murphy » Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:22 pm

amoney wrote:
southsound wrote:murphy is definitely on the right track. The problem is with the phone stomping on your wireless signal. Many 5.8ghz phones use a 2.4ghz signal channel and will interfere with your wireless. Maybe not all the time, but when they change to the same frequency as your WiFi, things go down. My suggestion is to purchase one of the new Panasonic or Uniden DECT 6.0 systems. They use 1.9ghz and will work great with WiFi. Also, they come with lots of features and can be had for a very good price. My Uniden 5-handset system was just $75 at Staples but I have seen the same system on sale for $69!!
Southsound, I assume a typo when you said 5.8ghz phones use a 2.4ghz signal...
Not a typo. I have an AT&T 5.8 GHz cordless phone.
After I bought it I found in the fine print it was 5.8GHz from base to handset and 2.4 GHz from handset to base.
Probably done to save the cost of a duplexer.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx