800 line

Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
rags
800 line

Post by rags » Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:20 pm

I would like to port another number however it has a family 800 number atached to it.
Does anybody know, if I port this umber over will I lose the 800 number or can I have the 800 as a seperate porting number :?

southsound

Re: 800 line

Post by southsound » Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:38 pm

It really depends on how the family 800 number is set up. If it is through your local telco, then it is actually set up as a caling feature and when your number ports, it will go away. If it is through a third party, then no problem. As a cheap solution for other family members, why not have them set up Google Voice accounts so they can call you for free? Or if they are in just a few cities, set up Google Voice numbers in those cities that forward to your phone? The advantage for them to have their own GV number is that they get to call anywhere in the US for free, use GV's cool forwarding features, and also use GV's voicemail. All for free.
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

amoney

Post by amoney » Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:52 pm

Last I heard Ooma does not support 800 numbers.
Comcast > Telo > WRT54G

southsound

Post by southsound » Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:00 pm

amoney wrote:Last I heard Ooma does not support 800 numbers.
Right. But that is not exactly what he is asking. You see, most 800 numbers forward to a local number that ooma does support. If you do a Google search for "800 number service providers" you will find lots of folks who can provide the number that will forward to the OP's current number - both before and after ported to ooma. Most charge a minimal fee per month then a low per minute cost. Probably about the same the OP is currently paying his/her telco if that is where the number is originating. My Google Voice suggestion was a way to provide the same free calling, well, for free.
Lifetime Premier Member

southsound

Post by southsound » Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:10 pm

One more thought. If you have a web page or blog, you can post a Google Call Widget that will place the call for free from any US number. Here is what it says on the Google Voice page: You can allow others to call you from your website or blog by adding a call widget to it. Visitors to the website can click the widget, enter their phone number, and Google Voice will call them and connect the call to your Google number.
http://www.google.com/support/voice/bin ... wer=115128

I'm the recovery pastor at our church so I have one posted on our website so people anywhere can call me without me needing to give out my actual number. I can also control what numbers the widget calls and how it will accept calls.
Lifetime Premier Member