Voicemail Indicator on handsets

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
mthomtech
Voicemail Indicator on handsets

Post by mthomtech » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:02 pm

Does anyone know if/what technology ooma uses to signal cordless systems that have a voicemail indicator. I've seen a few posts from folks who say the voicemail indicators on their phones work with ooma, but mine doesn't seem to.

I have a Uniden TRU9465 system that accepts Frequency Shift Keying (FSK) or Stutter Dial Tone (SDT). Vonage used the SDT, and I'll admit, the Uniden was only doing an iffy job with it, but probably 80% (and sticking from time to time).

Can't get either setting to work with ooma ... not a big deal, but a nice to have.
Ooma Customer since March 2009
Ooma Hardware: Hub/Scout(2) and Telo
Premier Member

mthomtech

Re: Voicemail Indicator on handsets

Post by mthomtech » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:51 pm

When I hooked up the cordless system to the ooma hub (instead of the scout) the voicemail indicator on the phones work very well. It appears ooma uses FSK technology.
Premier Member

jmassimilla

Post by jmassimilla » Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:15 pm

I have a simillar situation. I have a Uniden TRU8865 connected to the hub and it works all of the time. I have a Uniden DECT2600 hooked to a scout as my second number and it only works about 20 percent of the time. I also have a Panasonic system hooked to another shared scout and that works all of the time.
Customer since Feb 2009
2 Hub/Scout
1 Telo/Handset
Lifetime Premier Subscriber

mthomtech

Post by mthomtech » Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:45 pm

I ended up hooking an old GE cordless to my scout ... and didn't know there was even a message indicator light on the base of it. But I noticed that the charge light blinks when there is a message.

I haven't tried putting the Uniden system back on the scout to see if the lights work, but everything works great now. The uniden works from the hub, and the GE from the scout. Works MUCH better than it did on Vonage (which used the stutter dial tone).

I did find a couple of options to change on the Uniden. If yours is like mine, change the Voice Mail Tone to "No" and make sure to reset the Voice Mail Indicator whenever you don't have a message waiting.

Restarting everything probably helped too.
Premier Member

jmassimilla

Post by jmassimilla » Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:34 am

I checked and my voicemail tone is set to off. I didn't mention that the indicator always comes on when a message is left, it just almost never shuts off when the message is retrieved. How do you reset your Voice Mail Indicator? I didn't realize that was an option. I did try power cycling the phone, which didn't help.
Customer since Feb 2009
2 Hub/Scout
1 Telo/Handset

murphy

Post by murphy » Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:37 am

Read the manual for your phone. Mine has a specific multi-key sequence to reset the message waiting indicator.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

jmassimilla

Post by jmassimilla » Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:55 am

murphy wrote:Read the manual for your phone. Mine has a specific multi-key sequence to reset the message waiting indicator.

I don't have a manual for my phone.....and for some reason, Uniden doesn't list one.
Customer since Feb 2009
2 Hub/Scout
1 Telo/Handset

mthomtech

Post by mthomtech » Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:53 am

If your Uniden set is like mine, here's what I have to do to reset the Voice Mail indicator. If you go the the base, and press menu, then "Global Setup" ... there's an option called VMWI Reset. You go to that option and press yes. Do that when there is NO message waiting, and that will reset the indicator back to show no message.

Your problem about it not turning off is exactly what would happen 90% of the time to me with Vonage ... but they used the Stutter Dial Tone as the signal, which didn't seem as reliable.

I hope this helps ... it's working like a charm for me now. Just picked up messages and the light went off quickly after I hung up.
Premier Member

stuman74

Post by stuman74 » Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:16 pm

I have a Uniden 5.8 GHz TRU-8865 system that works fine with my new Ooma box.

I was at Costco today and saw a newer Uniden DECT 6.0 1580 system and picked it up hoping the sound quality would be better. After testing it out, I'd say it is a hair better, but not a ton.

My main issue with this Uniden DECT 1580 phone is...when I turn off the answering system on the unit (since I prefer the Ooma VM system), I get the blinking indicator that I have a VM, however, when I press the envelope button on the handset, it goes to the Uniden base to retrieve the message. I don't see a way to set that to dial in to the Ooma VM. Does anyone know by chance how to do that? All I could find is adding the Ooma VM number to my phone book. Screw that! If that's the only way, back to Costco this DECT 1580 goes!

murphy

Post by murphy » Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:13 pm

Take the handset off hook so you hear the ooma tone and then push the voice mail button on the hub.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx