No Caller ID & Can't Access VM Remotely

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
mthomtech
Re: No Caller ID & Can't Access VM Remotely

Post by mthomtech » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:28 pm

On your wife's iPhone, did you turn off the "Show My Caller ID" setting in the settings on the phone, and then try calling your Ooma?
Ooma Customer since March 2009
Ooma Hardware: Hub/Scout(2) and Telo
Premier Member

sparkylb

Post by sparkylb » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:30 pm

EDIT: We were typing at the same time, it seems.

So many options in this digital smart phone age! The iPhone has an option to block caller ID globally, ie. on all outgoing calls, but I don't want to do that full time, although I'd be happy to try it to see if it has any effect on this issue. I have a feeling it won't make a difference, though I can't test it now as my wife is sleeping and there seems to be no way shut the ringer off on these new AT&T phones. (disappointing).

mthomtech

Post by mthomtech » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:40 pm

Sounds good. I'll check in with you tomorrow, and in the meantime maybe some other eyes will see your issue too.
Premier Member

mthomtech

Post by mthomtech » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:54 pm

Found some more info on the incoming caller ID. It is due to your integrated land line ...

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6390&p=45579&hilit= ... +id#p45579
Premier Member

sparkylb

Post by sparkylb » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:57 am

mthomtech wrote:Found some more info on the incoming caller ID. It is due to your integrated land line ...

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6390&p=45579&hilit= ... +id#p45579
Hmm. There are some differences b/w the fellow you link in your response and me. I'm not using DSL, but that might not be pertinent. What we DO have in common is that we both don't have caller ID, are both new subscribers to Ooma, and both still have our landlines intact.

As early in the game as I am, I'll just be patient. Perhaps I'll have to simply wait until the porting is overwith, and my landline is cancelled/disconnected before I know anything for certain.

murphy

Post by murphy » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:12 am

If you integrated a land line and don't have caller ID service on the land line, you will not have caller ID.
This is one of the reasons that I don't recommend land line integration when your plan is to port your number.
You can call CS and have them reconfigure your account to remove the land line integration and issue you a temporary number to use until the port completes. The temporary number will have all of the Ooma features. You will have to keep a separate phone connected to your land line until it goes dead on the morning the port is implemented.
If the port is due to complete in a few days, you can wait it out without caller ID until the port completes.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

sparkylb

Post by sparkylb » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:33 am

murphy wrote:If you integrated a land line and don't have caller ID service on the land line, you will not have caller ID.
This is one of the reasons that I don't recommend land line integration when your plan is to port your number.
You can call CS and have them reconfigure your account to remove the land line integration and issue you a temporary number to use until the port completes. The temporary number will have all of the Ooma features. You will have to keep a separate phone connected to your land line until it goes dead on the morning the port is implemented.
If the port is due to complete in a few days, you can wait it out without caller ID until the port completes.
Well if that's the case regarding the CID part, then I'm OK with that. As long as it works as designed when the port is through. Thanks for the reply! :)

As for the VM, I put my iPhone on global CID block, and it doesn't make a difference.

I'll just wait it out.

mthomtech

Post by mthomtech » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:43 am

I wonder if the CID block is also related to the land line integration then.

Murphy - if someone starts out with land line integration and ports their land line number over, will they still need to call CS to change their Ooma configuration to non-integrated to work properly?
Premier Member

murphy

Post by murphy » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:27 am

mthomtech wrote:Murphy - if someone starts out with land line integration and ports their land line number over, will they still need to call CS to change their Ooma configuration to non-integrated to work properly?
No, if you wait it out they will convert it automatically when the port is completed.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

sparkylb

Post by sparkylb » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:27 pm

Thanks for the replies, fellas. :)