REQUEST: Ability to ignore incoming PINGs in hub setup pages

Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
dknyinva
Re: REQUEST: Ability to ignore incoming PINGs in hub setup pages

Post by dknyinva » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:31 pm

I have similar setup modem <-- telo <-- linux-based router and I've configured my linux router-based to block ICMP traffic.

Mike-o-Matic

Post by Mike-o-Matic » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:13 pm

Yes, my DIR-615 blocks the icmp traffic also. Unfortunately, the Ooma Hub (which is in front of it) sees the incoming ping first and responds to it. There's no reason for this reply.
Customer Since: November 2009.
Number Port: ordered 12/14/09; completed 01/07/10.
Hardware: one Hub, one Scout, one Telo.
Service Level: Annual Premier.

sfhub

Post by sfhub » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:31 am

Mike-o-Matic wrote:
sfhub wrote:It may not meet your needs, but you could put the Ooma behind the router and the PCs behind Ooma. Router is configured for outside pings and Ooma still does its QoS.
Not sure what you meant by this. I assume this would mean I need a switch between the Hub and my PCs, because I only have the single home port. I have a variety of machines on my LAN though; can't plug 'em ALL into the Hub!

Also, I'd REALLY like to avoid another switch (though I have a gob of them lying about ;-)). I'm trying to keep the 24x7 power usage to a minimum if possible, plus I'd really hate to have yet ANOTHER device on my desk.

But if you meant something else (no added switch), then by all means please say so. Maybe I just misunderstand what you're suggesting.
It depends on your setup whether it will meet your needs, but from a cabling and equipment standpoint, it could be as simple as unplugging the cable that connects the dlink to the rest of the switches of your LAN and plugging that into Ooma's Home Port. Keep in mind it is doing double-nat and also services from the dlink wouldn't be available because they would be blocked by Ooma, but you would be using Ooma's QoS and Ooma would be protected from pings by your dlink router.

modem->dlink->ooma->rest of your lan

Mike-o-Matic

Post by Mike-o-Matic » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:15 pm

>> it could be as simple as unplugging the cable that connects the dlink to the
>> rest of the switches of your LAN and plugging that into Ooma's Home Port.

You're right, but there's a small problem. There AREN'T any "rest of the switches." The D-Link is it. It's got enough ports for all my PCs, and I don't want to add a switch downstream if I can help it (reasons given above).

EDIT: Addendum. Sorry, I probably mislead you. When I said I had a "gob of them" (switches) lying about, I should have made it clear they're just sitting in a box, unplugged! Not part of the LAN setup at all.

sfhub

Post by sfhub » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:28 pm

Mike-o-Matic wrote:>> it could be as simple as unplugging the cable that connects the dlink to the
>> rest of the switches of your LAN and plugging that into Ooma's Home Port.

You're right, but there's a small problem. There AREN'T any "rest of the switches." The D-Link is it. It's got enough ports for all my PCs, and I don't want to add a switch downstream if I can help it (reasons given above).

EDIT: Addendum. Sorry, I probably mislead you. When I said I had a "gob of them" (switches) lying about, I should have made it clear they're just sitting in a box, unplugged! Not part of the LAN setup at all.
If you disable the DHCP server on your dlink, configure the Ooma for static WAN IP, you should be able to plug both Modem and Home ports into the dlink and accomplish everything I described without installing an additional switch (assuming your dlink has enough ethernet ports for your setup). Again there are caviats because you would be doing double-NAT and other services provided by the dlink wouldn't be available, but you haven't seem to have expressed concern over those so far.

BTW the power usage of most newer switches is around 5w or less which is very minimal. They shutdown unused ports and adjust power levels based on length of cabling.

Mike-o-Matic

Post by Mike-o-Matic » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:03 pm

Hmm, that's an interesting suggestion. Sometime when I don't need my phone service up-and-running, perhaps I may try it.

As for the power usage, yes, it's only a few watts, but every little bit helps! I have a Kill-a-Watt P4400 and measure everything. It can make you become obsessive, that's for sure.