New GV problem. Calls to my Ooma number are ringing my GV

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
sfhub
Re: New GV problem. Calls to my Ooma number are ringing my GV

Post by sfhub » Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:30 pm

So it really does sound like Ooma is doing the multi-ring even though you don't have premium service.

I'm wondering, if you call the Ooma # and it rings your Tmo cell phone (and Ooma phone), then when you pick up the Tmo phone, does it ask you to press 1 to connect the call?

If so, then that would confirm without a doubt it is Ooma's system being misconfigured to call your Tmo phone.

gfrobe

Post by gfrobe » Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:38 pm

I'll confirm it tomorrow (bit late to ring my home phones right now) but yes, I've noticed that the past few days I've had to hit 1 to accept calls when I never had to do that before. I thought it was some type of call screening that I had perhaps accidently enabled but now realize I'm likely just accepting forwarded calls.

My Premiere service ran out months ago and while I had it I never enabled Call Forwarding. But certainly sounds like it's enabled now. Any idea how I go about turning it off?

sfhub

Post by sfhub » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:57 pm

I'd probably leave a private message for ntoy and/or call support and ask for a manager and explain that you have confirmed that through some snafu multi-ring has been enabled on your account but since you don't have Premiere, you have no way of disabling it.

Explain that when you call your Ooma phone #, it rings both your Ooma phone and your cell phone and when you pick up on your cell phone it asks you to press 1 to accept the call. Also explain that your free Premiere trial expired months ago and you don't have any option to enable or disable call forwarding at my.ooma.com (Preferences->Call Forwarding)

Ask them to look at your account and see if they see call forwarding (multi-ring) enabled and if so, could they disable it for you.

gfrobe

Post by gfrobe » Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:52 am

Will do. Just sent private message to ntoy and will call customer service when they open on Monday.

Thanks.

gfrobe

Post by gfrobe » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:59 pm

Just to follow up, heard from Ooma Customer Service and they said it's a bug in the system. They've manually turned off multi-ring for me so hopefully that should clear everything up.

Thanks for the help all!

wbertacchini

Post by wbertacchini » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:18 pm

Seems like the same thing is happening to me. I never set up forwarding to my cell phone, but it is doing it now. My trial premere service ended, and now I have call forwarding. What happens is that it rings my cell phone (as well as my home Ooma number) and when I try to answer it with my cell phone I get a short Ooma tone and then it just hangs up. Next time I will try to hit 1 and see if I can pick up my call with my cell phone.

ntoy

Post by ntoy » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:20 pm

Hello wbertacchini,

I went ahead & manually disabled multiring for you.
Give it about 15 minutes or so. If you still have trouble,
please reboot your Ooma.

Thx

rpmsoftware

Post by rpmsoftware » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:24 pm

This is completley unethical and this happened to me too. This is VERY concerning to me on a number of levels. Why would Ooma have the ability to utilize and link to my GV forwards? Or more importantly, HOW did they access this information without my prior permission? Legally, this is unethical and I think that steps to alert the proper authorities should be taken. Anyone else feel violated?

sfhub

Post by sfhub » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:47 pm

Are you sure you never provided your GV # to Ooma in any way? Not for billing, testing call forwarding, testing multi-ring, SMS notifications, etc.

I'm just surprised if Ooma was able to pull your GV # from the ether without ever being given a reference. If on the other hand it was provided for something at Ooma, even if it wasn't for multi-ring, I can believe some bug got a database field mixed up and enabled multi-ring using a # that was intended for that purpose.

Either way it is a bug on Ooma side, but from a technical standpoint, it would be "impressive" if they just pulled your GV # with no reference to it.

southsound

Post by southsound » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:10 pm

rpmsoftware wrote:This is completley unethical and this happened to me too. This is VERY concerning to me on a number of levels. Why would Ooma have the ability to utilize and link to my GV forwards? Or more importantly, HOW did they access this information without my prior permission? Legally, this is unethical and I think that steps to alert the proper authorities should be taken. Anyone else feel violated?
Maybe we could lobby congress to enact a special bill that would protect us against such flagrant violations of the seperation of GV and VOIP. :P

First off, ooma did not access anybody's information without their permission. Why or how would they do that? Certainly Google would be in trouble if they allowed it. And I can assure you that ooma does not have a special forces team hacking the Google servers. ooma was just doing multi-ring which is the same thing you can do with GV. In fact, it is why I use GV as my front end - so people can use one number and have it call their ooma, their cell phone, (The FBI since they monitor all my calls anyways) and whomever else I choose. I think the proper term for your response is OVER REACTION TO A SITUATION WHERE THERE IS NOT SUFFIENCT DATA. JMHO - YMMV.
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.