Unable to access setup.ooma.com by name or IP

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
sfhub
Re: Unable to access setup.ooma.com by name or IP

Post by sfhub » Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:48 pm

FreihEitner wrote:telnet: connect to address 172.27.35.1: Connection refused
That's interesting as it looks like the Ooma device is actively rejecting requests to port 80. If there was no server listening it would usually say connection failed. If the port was bad, then the telnet would hang for a while until it times out.

Connection refused likely means the port is fine, the request packet got to the Ooma device, Ooma device received the packet, decided to close the socket and refuse the connection, resulting in a response back to your telnet app.

I would suggest you reset your Ooma as described in this post and see if that helps.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=614&view=next

FreihEitner

Post by FreihEitner » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:22 pm

I did the reset as per that post (removing power from the Ooma Hub, holding down the blue Ooma tab, adding power but keeping the tab held until all lights stopped blinking). After coming back online, my Ooma seemed to reset itself again a moment later. I still get Connection Refused when I telnet to 172.27.35.1 on port 80 and still get the 169.254.x.x IP address when I set my PC for DHCP.

FreihEitner

Post by FreihEitner » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:38 pm

Further oddness. I can PING to 172.27.35.1 but I cannot TRACEROUTE/TRACERT to it -- says no route to host. That doesn't sound right. I have the ethernet port on my PC (with manually assigned IP 172.27.35.2) plugged directly into the HOME port on the Ooma Hub. I ought to be able to traceroute to it, especially if I can ping it. Any ideas?

amoney

Post by amoney » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:31 pm

Well the network port appears ok, but the rest of the software running inside is bad. If a reset does not help matters your ultimately going to have to get it replaced.
Comcast > Telo > WRT54G

sfhub

Post by sfhub » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:22 am

FreihEitner wrote:Further oddness. I can PING to 172.27.35.1 but I cannot TRACEROUTE/TRACERT to it -- says no route to host. That doesn't sound right. I have the ethernet port on my PC (with manually assigned IP 172.27.35.2) plugged directly into the HOME port on the Ooma Hub. I ought to be able to traceroute to it, especially if I can ping it. Any ideas?
When your PC gets IP 169.x.x.x, that usually means the DHCP request timed out with no response.

Have you tried a different ethernet cable and/or examined the pins inside the ethernet ports on the PC and Ooma to see if any are bent?

tommies

Post by tommies » Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:11 am

Have you tried to reset the hub to factory default?
Pull the power cord, hold down the (red/blue)tab at the top left while plug the power back on and continue to hold for 30-35 seconds. You have to re-enter all the hub setting you have changed.
tommies

FreihEitner

Post by FreihEitner » Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:37 am

@sfhub: I looked inside the HOME port and the pins seem okay to me. I've tried two different (known working) ethernet cables and two different (known working) ports on my Mac Pro.

@tommies: Yes, I've already done the factory reset per a previous suggestion here. Since I can't connect to the configuration page, I have no custom settings to change so that's not a problem.

FreihEitner

Post by FreihEitner » Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:39 am

I should point out that when I set the Ooma Hub between my cable modem and my PC, with the PC connected to the HOME port, I am able to get out on the internet, just with limited functionality since the Ooma seems to be blocking almost every incoming port. I just can't get to the Ooma Hub's configuration page.

murphy

Post by murphy » Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:41 pm

Connect to http://172.27.35.1.
If your Mac is a wireless laptop, disable the wireless so it can't use that path.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

sfhub

Post by sfhub » Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:30 pm

FreihEitner wrote:I should point out that when I set the Ooma Hub between my cable modem and my PC, with the PC connected to the HOME port, I am able to get out on the internet, just with limited functionality since the Ooma seems to be blocking almost every incoming port. I just can't get to the Ooma Hub's configuration page.
Since you are manually configuring your IP info, could you post

IP address
netmask
gateway
DNS

Get it from the OS config rather than from memory. Also is there any chance you have a proxy server configured?

When you try traceroute use

traceroute -I 172.27.35.1

and see if that makes any difference. The traceroute option is "minus eye", not "minus el"