Need to Disable Internet But Keep Phone Number

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
Lora
Need to Disable Internet But Keep Phone Number

Post by Lora » Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:19 am

I'm having problems with a member of my household using the intenet improperly, to put it mildly. Until this person can get it under control, I'm considering removing internet access (realizing I won't have phone service, but I can deal with it). I'd like to hang on to my number though and not have to get a new one when we get internet access again, if ever. Maybe this is a question for AT&T? I hope not. I hate dealing with those morons.

ntoy

Re: Need to Disable Internet But Keep Phone Number

Post by ntoy » Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:38 am

Hello,

I'm sorry to hear about your dilemma.
I see that your number was ported over to Ooma recently.
As long as you do not cancel your account with Ooma, your account
will remain intact. With Ooma powered off, calls should go inot vmail.
You can still check them by logging into My Ooma. You can also forward calls
using our MultiRing(Premiere feature). Your account is on trial premiere at the moment.

Lora

Post by Lora » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:24 am

So how do I go about disabling the internet connection? If I call the phone company and ask them to drop the internet connection, I'm afraid I'll lose that phone number, even though it's been ported because they technically still own that number don't they?

ntoy

Post by ntoy » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:37 am

Hello,

Your number has been ported over to Ooma which means your phone company(AT&T in this case) no longer owns it. They are only providing you with dsl(internet service only).

hpepper

Post by hpepper » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:09 am

Lora wrote:I'm having problems with a member of my household using the intenet improperly, to put it mildly. Until this person can get it under control, I'm considering removing internet access (realizing I won't have phone service, but I can deal with it). I'd like to hang on to my number though and not have to get a new one when we get internet access again, if ever. Maybe this is a question for AT&T? I hope not. I hate dealing with those morons.

You could consider using a service like OpenDNS.com

You basically point your router to them then make the filter settings high, which would block most things innapropriate and still let you use your Ooma system for phone calls. You would need to make the changes in the router and save the router savings with a password. it would also allow you to see what sites they are intending to go to.

This might be a little more involved than you might want to do, but it is an option. The only two ways they could get around it is to reset the router to factory settings which removes the router pointing to OpenDNS and the other one is to connect up a computer directly to the AT&T modem.

Groundhound

Post by Groundhound » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:18 pm

I agree. As long as you can physically lock up your router (small vented box with a padlock and holes for wires will do) you can control what websites are accessible or not accessible, and what times of day any computer(s) on your network can be used.

tommies

Post by tommies » Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:32 pm

Groundhound wrote:I agree. As long as you can physically lock up your router (small vented box with a padlock and holes for wires will do) you can control what websites are accessible or not accessible, and what times of day any computer(s) on your network can be used.
With a determine soul who live inside the house, the pad lock doesn't look insurmoutable.

I'm thinking for a modem/router combo which has password protected proxy. Which this you can control who has internet access and/or which url is allowed/forbidden. I'm just not sure if there is such a thing on the market with a reasonable price.

You then connect your current router in a bridge mode (ie turn off its DHCP, of which is handled by the modem/router combo.)
tommies

amarryat

Post by amarryat » Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:46 pm

Lora wrote:I'm having problems with a member of my household using the intenet improperly, to put it mildly.
Another poster mentioned OpenDNS. In addition to (or instead of) that, you could install parental control software on that person's computer. You would just have to make sure that you have an administrator account on that computer, and their account is a limited one. We use both of those - K9 is the free parental control software which has worked very well for us.

tommies

Post by tommies » Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:13 pm

In this route, both Windows Vista and Windows 7 have parental control build in. The problem will be setting administrator password(s) for each pc/laptop in your household; the good password is very hard to remember, and the easy to remember is not very good.

If you choose to write your admin pw down, that person will find it. A better alternative is a finger print reader (I have one, from upek.com), and then you can put your write down pw into the bank safe box (I did). However, with a determine/desparated mind--such as myself--I surely will re install Windows and overwrite every thing in it, and it will be mine.

IMO, a modem/router combo with password protected proxy will help. Take out the modem, internet will be cut off (make sure that you destroy the old modem and erase the login credence from the old router). Put it in, you have the control with the proxy. Make sure that you protect the master password of the proxy and the credence which is used to login your isp service.

A factory reset DSL modem will not work until your put your login credence back in.
tommies

Groundhound

Post by Groundhound » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:12 pm

Secure passwords and tools like OpenDNS are important, but since many routers have a reset button on them, physically restricting access is a good idea IMO. The person needing to be restricted may not care if the whole network (including the phone) comes down because he started messing around with it.