Contact import fails

Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
rsg
Contact import fails

Post by rsg » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:53 pm

I'm attempting to import a large number of contacts from my gmail account. I get a cryptic message after a couple minutes that it failed. Not much to go on...
Feb '10 start date, telo & telo handset, premier.

bobcarrier

Re: Contact import fails

Post by bobcarrier » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:33 pm

Want basics to work! See email I sent several times! Support is non-responsive!
What is the problem with the blacklist? Why is your response not sent? Service will keep you in business!

Bobby B
Ooma Moderator

Post by Bobby B » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:18 am

What error message are you seeing? Can you take a screenshot?
Bobby B

dogdad

Post by dogdad » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:57 pm

I successfully imported several gmail contacts today, without issue.

rsg

Post by rsg » Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:30 am

Bobby B wrote:What error message are you seeing? Can you take a screenshot?
Well....I went back just now to replicate the error box, and got different errors. Here's what I get today 28 Feb '10. This is when trying to import 400-600 contacts, identically created from outlook and imported into google prior to doing this (good opportunity to clean the file!).

I tried importing from gmail and got no error message this time...after pressing 'submit' it churns for a while, then comes back. I subsequently discovered that it *had* imported some contacts from gmail (about 20 off 500, and not in any obvious order). We need to inform folks to press "cancel" and then refresh/reload the screen to see if new contacts did indeed show up.

Capture1.png is the screenshot, but I've taken my gmail account name out (tried with and without @gmail.com appended to username, and also in the "Family" group or the "All" group, all same result).
Capture1.PNG
Capture1.PNG (35.84KiB)Viewed 10947 times
Capture2.png is the screen shot when I try to import my outlook csv (I exported this as a windows csv in outlook 2007 before trying the import).
Capture2.PNG
Capture2.PNG (85.04KiB)Viewed 10947 times
Clearly, there's still bugs! This is a straightforward input for Google gmail to do, and all my categories are replicated. The few contacts that did show up when importing my google contacts to ooma lost all other info, e.g. email, category memberships, etc.

Good luck!
Feb '10 start date, telo & telo handset, premier.

ggilman

Post by ggilman » Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:25 pm

This might be a slightly different issue but I noticed during a gmail import that several contacts simply popped up with something like "Failure importing contact X". I narrowed it down to the fact that phone numbers must be unique and thus if you had two people with the same phone number (say husband and wife or a large # of people that share common phone at work), the first would get in but the rest would fail. Even if they had multiple numbers assigned to the contact, the entire contact record would fail to import.

I can see some potential reasons why ooma may want phone #s to be unique but seems like there should at least be an option to import the rest of the phone numbers assigned to that contact & possibly ask who to assign the common number to.

dsinternet

Post by dsinternet » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:54 pm

Most of my contacts don't import. Seems like ooma will not let one contact have more then one phone number. My contacts that had home, work, and cell did not work

murphy

Post by murphy » Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:51 am

dsinternet wrote:Most of my contacts don't import. Seems like ooma will not let one contact have more then one phone number. My contacts that had home, work, and cell did not work
That is strange since you can manually enter up to 4 numbers for each contact and you can enter the exact same contact name more than once.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

daet

Post by daet » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:41 am

dsinternet wrote:Most of my contacts don't import. Seems like ooma will not let one contact have more then one phone number. My contacts that had home, work, and cell did not work
No - I have imported contacts that have more than one phone number (and also have an email address) in the CSV file.

DG
Ooma customer since April 2009
Ooma equipment: Hub ; Telo + 4 handsets
Ooma service: Annual Premier subscription

mthomtech

Post by mthomtech » Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:02 pm

When I try to import contacts from Google, I just get a brief "loading" icon and then nothing. It just stays on the screen with options to Cancel or Import.

I've tried both my full gmail address and also just the user name.

Does anyone else have the same problem?
Ooma Customer since March 2009
Ooma Hardware: Hub/Scout(2) and Telo
Premier Member