Buzzing noise problem with Telo

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
byan
Buzzing noise problem with Telo

Post by byan » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:44 am

I am having a buzzing noise all the time (before and during phone call) in the background with Telo device. The noise seems to be 60Hz humming AC electrical interference. The noise happens when I connect Telo phone line to my home phone line socket on the wall. There is no noise problem and voice is clear when I use my phone directly with Telo device without connecting to the house phone line.

I searched this forum and found that the 3-prong power adapter should fix this noise problem. I called Ooma support and asked for the adapter but the support person said the 3-prong power adaptaer is available only for old Ooma hub and not Telo.

Please help!

-- Brian

murphy

Re: Buzzing noise problem with Telo

Post by murphy » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:06 am

byan wrote:I am having a buzzing noise all the time (before and during phone call) in the background with Telo device. The noise seems to be 60Hz humming AC electrical interference. The noise happens when I connect Telo phone line to my home phone line socket on the wall. There is no noise problem and voice is clear when I use my phone directly with Telo device without connecting to the house phone line.

I searched this forum and found that the 3-prong power adapter should fix this noise problem. I called Ooma support and asked for the adapter but the support person said the 3-prong power adaptaer is available only for old Ooma hub and not Telo.

Please help!

-- Brian
Is your house wiring disconnected from the old phone company at the demarc box on the outside of your house?
It's not sufficient to cancel the account. You have to physically break the connection with them.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

byan

Post by byan » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:43 am

Thank you Murphy very much for your help.
After I disconnect the phone line inside the telephone box on the outside wall of my house, there is no more buzzing noise and voice quality is excellent. It is wonderful that I can use all my existing phones that are connected to house wiring and the call quality is great. The best thing is that I do not need to pay monthly phone bills anymore. I hope Ooma wil stay in business for a very very long time to come.

Thanks again,
Brian

tom_p

Post by tom_p » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:02 pm

I have the same issue. I am waiting for my local phone number to port and have the OOMA Telo to hooked up to my local telco until the port is complete. Based on this information, am I to expect that the interferance is unavoidable until my number is ported and I physically disconnect the incoming line? Is there no other way to defeat this interferance?

I plan to disconnect the incoming line once the number ports but it would be nice to be able to determine if the problem is the incoming line or if I can expect this degraded quality even after I disconnect the local line.

tom_p

Post by tom_p » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:39 pm

Well... I'm pretty sure the landline isn't my issue. I made an LD call and the noise was still there. While I was on the phone I unplugged the landline and the noise remained. It definitely seems like power noise since the noise "cycles" but I'm no expert on line noise. Anybody have a suggestion? It seems like having a grounded power source for the Telo would/should do the trick if it is A/C noise, right?

kodak dan

Post by kodak dan » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:56 pm

I am hearing the buzzing sound as well. I have the Telo and Telo handset. Can't be the phone line as I have never had POTS phone service in this house. Plus, I've not get the Ooma Telo inserted into the home wiring. It's inserted between my cable modem and router.

The Ooma was in my home network closet (no noisy devices) and I was hearin this noise, so I cable a position at the far end of the house and now have the Telo sitting there. Still get the buzzing/humming noise. Family I've called are very happy when I hang up the Ooma call and call back on my Comcast VOIP line.

I want to dump Comcast VOIP service and heard from several friends about Ooma so I'm giving it a try. If I can't get this issue worked out, I'll have to send the Telo back.

npo

Post by npo » Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:14 pm

Im a new ooma owner - less than 10 minutes. I searched out the forum right away for the buzz issue before i port my number. My phone is directly plugged into the device - so its not my house wiring.

Teh 60hz buzz seems like the ooma powersupply is not sufficiently filtered.

tommies

Post by tommies » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:53 pm

npo wrote:Im a new ooma owner - less than 10 minutes. I searched out the forum right away for the buzz issue before i port my number. My phone is directly plugged into the device - so its not my house wiring.

I have my ooma, modem, and router on UPS (as well as my pc) to protect them from some flickering of the electric in the house. It's not a requirement, but I highly recommend to use UPS with your equipments.

The quality of my call is crystall clear.
tommies

kodak dan

Post by kodak dan » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:40 pm

npo wrote:Im a new ooma owner - less than 10 minutes. I searched out the forum right away for the buzz issue before i port my number. My phone is directly plugged into the device - so its not my house wiring.

npo: I am now wondering if there is a recent manufacturing issue with the Telo. It's obvious that there are many people who are happy with the product, such as tommy and other business associates of mine. But that doesn't explain the fact that we are having this issue.

Hopefully we'll be able to find a solution to a very real problem.

Incidentally, I have been a remote worker for 3.5 years and have a cisco VOIP phone which has worked flawlessly over this time. If only my company would allow me to leverage their phone system all would be well :-). My home network is designed and protected better than most small businesses.

tom_p

Post by tom_p » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:54 am

I have my ooma, modem, and router on UPS (as well as my pc) to protect them from some flickering of the electric in the house. It's not a requirement, but I highly recommend to use UPS with your equipments.

The quality of my call is crystall clear.
I have my Telo on a UPS, too, so that I'll have phone access during (brief) power outages and for power current regulation. I tried plugging the Telo directly into a wall outlet and into the UPS and noise is there regardless. I believe it is worse directly to outlet/better plugged into the UPS but I'm not going to keep changing back and forth to verify. It is sufficient to me that it exists in either case and the landline is not the problem.

I sent an e-mail to Ooma support but based on various other posts this may be a wasted effort. e-mail support has been described as a "black hole" many times. Anybody have suggestions on how to proceed? I really want to avoid returning the Telo to Amazon but I also really, really want my wife to allow me to continue to live in my home. If I don't get this issue corrected, it's me or the Telo...