Not hearing myself - dead phone?

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
jdorin
Not hearing myself - dead phone?

Post by jdorin » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:50 am

When you talk into your phone, you can usually hear yourself in the earpiece. Something has happened to my calls -- I no longer hear myself .. it's like speaking into a dead phone. I first noticed this just yesterday.

It's not really a BIG DEAL, but a little confusing. It makes you wonder if the call is still connected. If the person on the other end doesn't reply to your last statement immediately, you suspect that the call has been interrupted.

Anyone else notice this?

DTMF

Re: Not hearing myself - dead phone?

Post by DTMF » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:41 pm

Try making a call to an echo test number. That will confirm whether your phone is sending audio to the other end of the call.

Dial 1-484-244-2333, and when the recording answers, enter *7471101301. You'll be connected to an echo test system. :cool:
Ooma customer since November 2009.
Formerly employed at another VoIP company.
My opinions are my own.

jdorin

Post by jdorin » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:59 pm

Thanks, DTMF, the echo test proves that my voice is being received. That was never in question, as the people I call hear me OK (they respond to my end of the conversation).

When doing the echo test, I issued a bunch of 1-syllable words, timing how long each took to get back to my ear .. exactly 1 second each.

But I still get none of my utterances in my earpiece. This is noticeable when I first pick up my (non-Ooma .. it's a GE desk phone) handset, while the Ooma tune is still playing and the dial tone is there - nothing!

Oh, and on a separate note, I noticed that the phone number you suggested dialing to conduct the echo test begins with a '1' . Since all calls must include the 3-digit area code, what's the use of preceding each number with '1' ? I don't usually preface the numbers I call with the '1', but when I do, the calls appear to be processed the same as when I don't. Does including the '1' trigger Ooma to do something different than when omitting it? Inquiring minds want to know. ;)

ntoy

Post by ntoy » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:18 pm

Hello jdorin,

I understand you just noticed this issue yesterday. Do you recall it happening since installation?
Can you test with another phone to see if you experience the same symptom?
Can you test the same phone using a landline?
What is the exact model of your phone?

Thx

jdorin

Post by jdorin » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:49 am

Thanks for the reply, ntoy, but the problem has now gone away. It was so transient that I'm beginning to wonder if I was just imagining it :?

But, to answer your question, although probably moot by now, my deskset is a GE model 29318GE1-A.

jdorin

Post by jdorin » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:08 pm

The problem has returned.

My voice should be present in my earpiece when I speak. It is so low that I'm not sure it's picking up my voice (it sounds like I'm speaking into a dead phone). But it apparently is, because those whom I call respond to my side of the conversation; their response volume is adequate, but I can't hear myself. If I blow into the mouthpiece, then I do hear the wind rush.

Is there a way to adjust the volume of my voice, while leaving that of whom I've called as it is?

My system is a Hub, feeding my house wiring. I don't use the Scout.
Two of the non-Ooma phones experiencing the problem: GE Model 29318GE1-A, and AT&T Model 710.
I no longer have landline service .. I can't test with any phone through/with any voice service other than Ooma's VoIP.