google voice doesn't work

Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
wym
google voice doesn't work

Post by wym » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:37 pm

I am using ooma hub. Both incoming and outgoing call are working fine. But I can't forward my Google Voice to the ooma phone. When I tried to connect to my ooma phone in the Google Voice verification page, the ooma phone just won't ring. Anybody has the same problem?

ktinca

Re: google voice doesn't work

Post by ktinca » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:59 pm

I just added my Ooma phone number and it worked. I got the verification page, had it connect and my ooma phone rang. Input the verification number, and my ooma phone number is now in Google voice.

No problems here.
Service/Equipment: Ooma Core / Hub & Scout installed February 2010.
Internet: Charter ISP 10Mbs/1Mbs
Port request: 2/21/2010
Port completed: 3/9/2010

southsound

Post by southsound » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:34 pm

I've been using Google Voice with both my ooma hub and my ooma Telo since last summer. No problems - it just works and works. Are you sure you entered the number correctly? As I recall, they want you to put the +1 country code. Also, you cannot have more than one home number - I call my hub a work number.
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

wym

Post by wym » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:28 pm

I add +1 in frond of my ooma number, but I still cannot ring the phone from Google Voice. I guess wether Google voice will work or not depends on the switch serving the number. My area code is 858, maybe Google Voice support is not enabled on the switch serving this number yet.

southsound

Post by southsound » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:14 pm

wym wrote:I add +1 in frond of my ooma number, but I still cannot ring the phone from Google Voice. I guess wether Google voice will work or not depends on the switch serving the number. My area code is 858, maybe Google Voice support is not enabled on the switch serving this number yet.
Is there another number in the same area code that you could set up on a temporary basis to try it? You mentioned that you able to get to the verification screen and the phone would ring - that seems like it should work. Do you have the hub (white) or the Telo (black) and what kind of phone are you using to answer the call with - corded, cordless, or Telo handset?
Lifetime Premier Member

wym

Post by wym » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:10 am

I have a ooma hub (white) connected to a cordless phone directly over the phone port. The phone will NOT ring when I click the "connect" button in the Google voice verification page, eventually it just time out. I have all my other phones - work phone, cell phone - working with google voice well and they are all in the same area code 858 as my ooma phone.

ecoliek

Post by ecoliek » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:56 am

I had my google voice number set up and working until about a week ago when it just stopped. Same problem you're running into. I deactivated the number and when I tried to re-enable it, it wouldn't ring my ooma number. GV rings other numbers just fine and my Ooma rings when I dial it from other phones just fine. Very puzzling. Have you had any luck in the past few days?

Ooma177

Post by Ooma177 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:12 pm

I'm having the same problem. GV+Ooma worked great since last fall. However, it stopped working last Thurs, 3/11. Very strange.

southsound

Post by southsound » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:35 pm

Ooma177 wrote:I'm having the same problem. GV+Ooma worked great since last fall. However, it stopped working last Thurs, 3/11. Very strange.
Very strange indeed! I just tried it again and it works well on my Telo which is always set to ring via a GV number and my hub which is set up with GV but normally unchecked for forwarding. I just went into my GV settings and checked the box on my hub number and it worked fine on an incoming call. I wish I could be of more help. One note of interest, all of my numbers (GV and ooma) are in the same area code and exchange - but the CLEC that owns my GV numbers is different than the one that owns my ooma numbers.
Lifetime Premier Member

ecoliek

Post by ecoliek » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:48 pm

It's working now. I'm not sure what did the trick. I spent over an hour on the phone with a technical support guy, who eventually gave up and said Google Voice is only available to those in the Google Voice extensions beta (rubbish). I also sent an email to a tech on the forums who seemed knowledgeable and tried re-enabling my Ooma in GV, but as a cell phone instead of a home phone. I would attribute the success to this last step, except that my wife's GV number, which forwarded to my secondary Ooma number all of the sudden started working after that. It's all a mystery, but hopefully others are able to get theirs working again speedily.