No more sneaky prices please

Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
epox123
No more sneaky prices please

Post by epox123 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:42 am

I demand that OOMA be clear on prices for international calls!!!

I am so furious at the moment because I was defrauded by OOMA's sneaky rates page.
On this page you can see the different rates for all the countries OOMA can connect you to.

I Selected Costa Rica which says it will cost me $0.088 cents so I was excited, in my mind I was saying "Man with $10 I can call for a long long long time, because $0.088 divided by $10 is 113.63 minutes"
The only other fee on that page is a mandated Federal Universal Service Fund (FUSF) fee of 4¢

Turns out that was a bunch of baloney because I was charged.

Code: Select all

Destination  	Duration  	Rate  	Cost
Costa Rica  	 0:25  	    10.1¢    $2.55
So why use $0.088 cents instead of 10.1¢? Hmmm maybe so people will say dang that's low price wow let me spend more money!!!

SO PLEASE STOP DEFRAUDING US JUST TELL US HOW MUCH IT IS AND IF WE WANT IT WILL GO WITH, DON'T TRICK US INTO BUYING MINUTES THAT IS CHEAP ON OOMA'S PART.

With 2 calling cards of $5.00 I would call for about 400 mins.

I still like my OOMA but i don't like surprise like that, I understand that OOMA needs to make money to keep things running but YOU CAN'T BE SNEAKY does OOMA think there customers are stupid?

Any ways this is my opinion it will probably be erased I don't care because I'll get on you tube... but this will change!
Last edited by epox123 on Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

DTMF

Re: International calls False Advertising prices

Post by DTMF » Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:53 am

Although I agree that it would be disappointing to find out the rates aren't as low as you thought they were, I think you're missing the bigger picture. Instead of costing ~9 cents a minute, your 25 minute call cost ~10 cents a minute. That means you paid an extra ~25 cents for that call. Your post seems like a lot of venom to spew over a single quarter. ;)

A workaround might be to purchase a prepaid phone card (maybe from Sam's Club or Costco) that has cheaper rates to Costa Rica. You can still use Ooma to call the 800 number on the card for free.
Ooma customer since November 2009.
Formerly employed at another VoIP company.
My opinions are my own.

southsound

Refund Enclosed

Post by southsound » Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:23 pm

Here you go....

epox123 wrote:I demand that OOMA be clear on prices for international calls!!!

I am so furious at the moment because I was defrauded by OOMA's sneaky

I still like my OOMA but i don't like surprise like that, I understand that OOMA needs to make money to keep things running but YOU CAN'T BE SNEAKY does OOMA think there customers are stupid?

Any ways this is my opinion it will probably be erased I don't care because I'll get on you tube... but this will change!
Actually, unless a topic crosses a pretty serious line, ooma does not delete threads. So your post will be available for all who care to see it. Also, did you read the section on the rate page you pointd us to that says,
Listed international calling rates do not include a mandated Federal Universal Service Fund (FUSF) fee. A 3.9¢ connection fee applies to all calls. This fee is waived for subscribers of our International Bundle.
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

dtalwar

Post by dtalwar » Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:41 pm

epox123 wrote:The only other fee on that page is a mandated Federal Universal Service Fund (FUSF) fee of 4¢
You're mistaken about FUSF ... per FCC, the FUSF for the 1st quarter of 2010 is 14.1%. Add 14.1% to $0.088 and that bumps up the rate to what you're seeing.

oomg

Post by oomg » Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:12 pm

dtalwar wrote:
epox123 wrote:The only other fee on that page is a mandated Federal Universal Service Fund (FUSF) fee of 4¢
You're mistaken about FUSF ... per FCC, the FUSF for the 1st quarter of 2010 is 14.1%. Add 14.1% to $0.088 and that bumps up the rate to what you're seeing.
Yep... 25 x 0.088 = 2.20 x 1.141 = 2.5102 + 0.039 = 2.5492 So, $2.55 sounds pretty close.

"Lowest advertised rate per country. Rates subject to change without notice. Calls are charged at a per minute rate and rounded up to the minute. Listed international calling rates do not include a mandated Federal Universal Service Fund (FUSF) fee. A 3.9¢ connection fee applies to all calls. This fee is waived for subscribers of our International Bundle."
oomg -- Voice Over Internet Person

I've learned a lot here... two months ago I didn't even know how to spell VOIP and now I are one.

cbrillow

Post by cbrillow » Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:05 pm

"I Selected Costa Rica which says it will cost me $0.088 cents...."

Uh, you need to learn how to read American currency. Nowhere does it say "$0.088 cents", which is betrayed by the dollar sign, anyway.

$0.088 = .088 DOLLARS = 8.8 cents.

Gripe about the other portion of the charge that brought it up to 10.1cents, or whatever the rest of the complaint was, but you're way off-base with your original rant.

epox123

Post by epox123 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:25 am

BEFORE YOU POST A RESPONSE REMEMBER THE CUSTOMER IS ALWAYS RIGHT!
please take the time to see my point of view in a positive way before you criticize my intelligence.

I think everyone who has posted so far has missing my point, I shouldn't have to call OOMA to find out why the hell I'm being charged more!!! It should be clear as day no stupid numbers tricks to persuade people into thinking these are the lowest prices (in fact there are calling cards out there that can give you better price per min).

It's like this if you go to McDonald's or where ever you go. They put Huge menus that are behind the person at the register, they put those there so you the customer clearly knows what your meal is gonna be like, how much it costs and even before they give you your food they tell you the exact price with Tax. If I decide to get the meal then I do if I don't then i don't.

Whats going on with OOMA is they have those big signs with binary code which only computers can interpret and they bring you your food before they show you the full price.

LOL ok That's as clear as it gets...

I don't like freaking surprise on my bill, I was clearly defrauded and perhaps OOMA didn't mean it! But to ensure this doesn't happen again FIX IT NOW!

bw1

Post by bw1 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:10 am

The customer is not always right, and clearly you're wrong, as someone posted above.
Listed international calling rates do not include a mandated Federal Universal Service Fund (FUSF) fee. A 3.9¢ connection fee applies to all calls.
You can read more about it here:
http://www.fcc.gov/wcb/tapd/universal_service/
or here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Service_Fund

epox123

Post by epox123 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:02 pm

LETS MAKE ONE THING CLEAR I KNOW ABOUT THE FREAKING FEEEEEEEEEEE!

However my point is THOSE PRICES NEED TO BE CLEAR AS DAY so I know exactly what it cost so I don't get screwed.

Maybe it's the title of my post that is trowing everyone off; But basic I thought I was getting a good deal and it turned out not to being what I thought I was getting. So what I'm fight for is for OOMA to make the dam prices clear so everyone including a cave man can understand.

murphy

Post by murphy » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:19 pm

What's to understand?
$0.088 is 8.8 cents.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx